2,000 rounds thru Taurus PT-1911 (range report) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 PM

2,000 rounds thru Taurus PT-1911 (range report)

Well, just put my 2,000th round thru my PT-1911 tonight!! She preformed incredible again (of course) ... I put 300 thru her tonight and had only one FTE because of a Taurus mag... I have never had a FTF or FTE with my CMC Powermag or Wilson, I need to get more of those as I only have 2 at the moment...

Came home and cleaned her up and she is still pretty inside! One thing to let ya know about tho, I used Gun-Kote on my barrel to make it black, it looked GREAT but it did not last on the barrel with the beating it takes it started to chip a bit in areas on the barrel so I sanded it off and polished it back up.

This gun is amazing and the safety is still tight as a drum!

Here are a couple of pics of targets from tonight.

Target at 10 yards / 30 feet:

2 targets below are from 15 yards / 45 feet:

I anticipated the 4th shot as you can see:

Cant say enough about the accuracy of this gun... And yes, this is WITH the beautiful Heinie sights!!

Last edited by Trijicon; 01-25-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 PM

My friend bought one, and the thumb safety exploded off the first time he shot it, lol.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Yeah, I have heard of that happening on some... I got a good one I guess... Did he take it apart and see what was up with the safety? He can put a dab of blue locktight in the grove to fix that safety... Unless a prong on the grove busted off that is... Also, take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the grove together to tighten it up a tad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 AM

Good deal, I'm glad someone else out there has something positive to say about the Taurus. Mine has a couple thousand rounds through it as well and has never had a malfuntion. My right side safety broke off the day I brought it home but I like single side safety anyway and had planned to replace it before I bought it. I fitted the new safety before I fired the first shot and it has been perfect since.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:31 AM

I'm shocked that you would spend hundreds of dollars on something and not be concerned that something is such low quality that it will just break off without hard use, and then you shrug it off just because you don't use it...

I guess I'm not as rich as you, if I spent $600 or whatever on anything, and it breaks or something doesn't work the way it should, I would be pissed. I paid $450 for my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 and nothing has ever broken on that, and it sits inside my center console in my truck where everytime I hit the gas or hit the break it slams either into the front or the back of the center console box, yet, it still functions perfect and nothing has broken.

Ok, don't make fun of me for the placement of my Mil-Spec, I'll figure something better out soon, lol.

@trijicon

I say at the very least buy a quality safety to replace it if it's such a common issue. Obviously that was ONE of the areas Taurus skimped on to make their 1911 so cheap.

And no, he didn't do any of that. Basically when a gun messes up in any way on the very first trip to the range like that, we basically deem it as junk. Like my AR15 made by Gunsmoke Enterprises. NEVER buy those, they are GARBAGE. Cheap, but you get what you pay for. He hasn't touched it since, but I suggested he send it in to get warranty repair and then sell it and put that cash toward another brand like Kimber or Springfield.

Last edited by DemonMustang; 01-25-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:57 AM

Spent $505 on my SS PT-1911 and she is rock solid. Never had a problem with the safety and I would put her up against any 1911 out there. Shoots just as good as my sister and brother-in-law's Kimbers with less jams and just as good if not better accuracy.

Demon, you had a friend with an issue but for me personally, I have had nothing but a great experience with this gun.

If anyone does have an issue with a safety, heck, it's like a $30.00 fix and 30 miniutes of time, then back to bang bang worry free shooting... A safety is really a very easy fix, not enough to say the gun is a POS...

Best bang for the buck out there!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 AM

Which begs the question: if it's such an easy and cheap fix, why didn't Taurus do it right the first time? That's what I ask when something fails without good reason on something I spent money on. Sorry, $500 is still a lot of money, that could have bought me an Aimpoint for my AR15 that will work perfect from day 1.

I know you haven't had an issue with it, not talking about you, but the other guy that had his safety also break on his PT1911 and he just shrugs it off and makes up excuses for it. I personally would be PISSED. Even if it was something I didn't use...
Old 01-25-2009, 09:49 AM

What are probably the two most swapped parts on a 1911? I'd say #1 would be grips and #2 would be the thumb safety. They are both easy to change and relatively inexpensive to replace. I agree that its a shame that the first batch were apparently shipped with a bum part, but I wouldn't necessarily bypass the gun for that reason.

I now on three 1911s:

1. Springfield Loaded stainless 1911 with adjustable sights. I paid a load of cashola for this baby, my very first 1911. And the very first shot didn't extract. Luckily some of the mentors on this board walked me through disassembling it and tuning the extractor. Works 100% now. Would I buy it again after being shipped with a defective part? Yep.

2. Kimber BP Ten. It has the so-called horrible external extractor that everyone griped about. I bought it knowing that Kimber had a good reputation for fixing things that didn't work. Mine has never, ever hiccuped. Would I buy it again knowing it had a potential "factory defect"? Yep.

3. American Classic 1911 Deluxe. My small hands plus the waaaay oversized wooden grip panels equalled me not getting a good shooting grip. I bought a set of thin grips, only to find out I had to file down the factory grip bushings and re-use because they have some propietary thread size that wasn't Colt-spec. Love it now. Yep, I'd buy it all over again.

As for Taurus, I now own four different handguns from them. I wouldn't be afraid of their 1911, either. Any company that makes mechanical contraptions will occasionally ship a turd. As long as Taurus fixed it, I'd be satisfied.

Thats why its recommended to shoot the hell out of any new gun before you stake your life on it
Old 01-25-2009, 09:56 AM

Like many other early run weapons, there were problems transistioning from the bench-made guns to the mass-produced guns. S&W has had the same problems with their X-frames losing barrels, K-frames losing barrels, locks self-applying, and so on. Ruger has, also. If you got one of these, you had a problem. Fortunately, the safety problem has been fixed in later guns.

Call it a sign of the times, but there seems to be a rising number of problems with new introductions in just about every field or industry in the past twenty years.

If you insist on 100% perfection, the first time out, every time, you'll be one sadly disappointed person when buying anything mass-produced today.

There are complaints here about the SA GI, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Ruger, Colt, S&W, Sig, HK, Baer, Brown, Wilson, and any other brand that you can mention.

Taurus is a high-volume manufacturer. They buy in bulk from their sub-contractors. A single batch of safeties could impact thousands of guns, but wouldn't necessarily be noticed at the factory through random sampling.

They appear to have fixed the problem. Give them a chance. We don't all hold the few barrels lost on Redhawks, or X-frames as evidence of a company in decline for anyone else.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonMustang View Post
Which begs the question: if it's such an easy and cheap fix, why didn't Taurus do it right the first time? That's what I ask when something fails without good reason on something I spent money on. Sorry, $500 is still a lot of money, that could have bought me an Aimpoint for my AR15 that will work perfect from day 1.

I know you haven't had an issue with it, not talking about you, but the other guy that had his safety also break on his PT1911 and he just shrugs it off and makes up excuses for it. I personally would be PISSED. Even if it was something I didn't use...

lol, you mention quality and yet you would get an aimpoint? hmmmm, why not spend more and get an ACOG... Trijicon are the only battle sights worth anything...

And when you talk AR-15 / M-4... You should only look at colt using your logic.

I have a Colt / Chrome match barrel / ACOG TA-01 4x32.

Go into ANY manufacturer forum and you will see people who have had issues, are they all sub-par? no... I challenge anyone to find a manufacturer who has had zero problems.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Better to spend $600 on a PT1911 and possibly have to replace a $30.00 part, than to spend $900-$1,500+ on a different 1911 that with the exception of the safety (MAYBE) is essentially of the same quality as the Taurus.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
lol, you mention quality and yet you would get an aimpoint? hmmmm, why not spend more and get an ACOG... Trijicon are the only battle sights worth anything...

And when you talk AR-15 / M-4... You should only look at colt using your logic.

I have a Colt / Chrome match barrel / ACOG TA-01 4x32.

Go into ANY manufacturer forum and you will see people who have had issues, are they all sub-par? no... I challenge anyone to find a manufacturer who has had zero problems.
LMAO. OK, first of all, I didn't want magnification. Secondly, even if I wanted magnification, I wouldn't get the ACOG. Do you know why? a very unforgiving and very short (1.5") eye relief. I'd rather get IOR, but I doubt you've heard of them.

Lastly, I would buy almost any reputable namebrand of AR15 EXCEPT the Colt. Heck, I won't buy ANY Colts. Not only are they overpriced, but they don't even make top quality weapons like all of the Colt fanboys try to claim. I've seen more failures from Colt 1911's than even the Taurus PT1911, except the Colts that failed cost about 3 times as much. Same with AR15's, I've never seen first hand a Bushy or RRA have malfunctions but have personally witnessed no less than 3 Colts fail on someone and the magazine was eliminated as the problem. And again, the Colts cost them hundreds more than the ones that don't have any problems. Screw Colt, they think they own the rights to everything and they are snobs like HK are.

But hey, I'm not a gun snob, so I don't speak your language. So let's just call it difference of opinion. :-)
Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:

I would say the poster who is able to shrug off such an insignificant issue probably has a more healthy attitude. What good will it do you to "be PISSED"?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG View Post
I would say the poster who is able to shrug off such an insignificant issue probably has a more healthy attitude. What good will it do you to "be PISSED"?
Um, that I don't waste my money and instead get what needs to be done accomplished instead of just living a life of complacency?

Hey, if you're willing to blow $500 and just shrug it off if it breaks randomly, that's fine. I'm not rich, I could never shrug off $500.

I'm not referring to the OP though. His appears to be working perfect, so i'm happy for him. That means he got himself a good deal, $500 for a working 1911 that he's satisfied with. I know I was happy when I bagged that Marlin 30-30 Lever Action for a mere $200 and it works perfect, very accurate too, even for flat nosed ammo... Can't wait to try it out with the new Leverevolution ammo from Hornady...
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
LMAO. OK, first of all, I didn't want magnification. Secondly, even if I wanted magnification, I wouldn't get the ACOG. Do you know why? a very unforgiving and very short (1.5") eye relief. I'd rather get IOR, but I doubt you've heard of them.

Lastly, I would buy almost any reputable namebrand of AR15 EXCEPT the Colt. Heck, I won't buy ANY Colts. Not only are they overpriced, but they don't even make top quality weapons like all of the Colt fanboys try to claim. I've seen more failures from Colt 1911's than even the Taurus PT1911, except the Colts that failed cost about 3 times as much. Same with AR15's, I've never seen first hand a Bushy or RRA have malfunctions but have personally witnessed no less than 3 Colts fail on someone and the magazine was eliminated as the problem. And again, the Colts cost them hundreds more than the ones that don't have any problems. Screw Colt, they think they own the rights to everything and they are snobs like HK are.

But hey, I'm not a gun snob, so I don't speak your language. So let's just call it difference of opinion. :-)

Never heard of IOR? Does this help? http://www.valdada.com/catalog/db21c...bea62f0b9.aspx

Not for tacticle really, no thanks.

Gun Snob? LOL, I have a PT-1911, remember... I think I pass the snob test...

ACOG's are by far the best battle tested optics on the planet (it's just a fact) and as far as AR-15's so is Colt. I have found that most malfunctions can also be traced back to the operator rather than to the weapon.

That is not being a snob, the above is just a fact.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Damn, I'll tell my former Marine squad leader (Sgt) with one tour of duty iin Iraq and current Army National Guard Sgt. friend that he's using his AR15 wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

The other two that I remember seeing fail was at gunranges, so I can't inform them that they are handling an AR15 incorrectly. But one was also a NCO in the US Army with at least one tour in Iraq under his belt, so it's a pity he doesn't know how to use the AR15 type weapon...

And I can't imagine any weapon sight out there that is tacticle, whatever that means. But sorry they don't make them as "cool" looking, I am guessing that's what you mean...

http://www.valdada.com/product/04724...d30752518.aspx

1.1-4x with illuminated reticle (their CQB reticle is awesome, even with illunimation turned off because it is etched into the glass) with an eye relief of 3.75" and from what I hear it's very forgiving, which means you can be more or less 3.75" and still wouldn't get the "bubble" effect. With the ACOG, you HAVE to be 1.5" from it, any slight deviation and it's bubble-rama... I don't like it.

Last edited by DemonMustang; 01-25-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:28 PM

No, actually I spent time in the Marines...

1st Rad BN FMF Pac
Rad Recon Plt
MEWSS Plt
Desert Storm - Task Force Ripper

Think I know my ish, thanks tho.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Ok... and this is relevent how? My point is that the people I know who experienced stoppages in their Colts knew what they were doing since you suggested that it was user error. So you knowing what you're doing has... let me think... NOTHING to do with whether or not these people knew what they were doing... Let me know if you need me to slow down to explain anything, I know this is a lot to take in all at once. :-D
Old 01-25-2009, 09:49 PM

Actually, I saw plenty depending on MOS who couldn't hit the side of a barn or clear a jam and whine about it "being the weapon"... so just cuz your "friends" were in don't mean they knew squat...

You seem to have alot of your opinions formed by your friends experiences and not your own....

I find opinions formed through experience of ones self much more valuable, thanks tho.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 PM

WOW, I really hope you didn't have any kind of technical job in the Marines... See if you follow...

I am talking about COLTS that I have seen jam first hand. Follow so far?

My friend, who was an infantryman in the active duty Marines who was a squad leader with a tour to Iraq under his belt, finished his 4 years with the Marines, is now in the Army National Guard (nasty girl, yah, shut up, heard that lame thing too many times) who owns a Colt. So i mentioned him.

I DON'T OWN A COLT, SO OBVIOUSLY I'M NOT GOING TO SPEAK ABOUT ANY EXPERIENCES I HAVE HAD WITH A COLT JAMMING!

Clear so far?

I refer to two other people I don't know personally WHO HAD A COLT that jammed on them. Again, not me, because I DON'T OWN A COLT.

Clear so far?

I own two RRA AR15's both relatively new, with about 3000 rounds through one, no malfunctions yet. I am in the middle of building two more AR15's with stripped spikes lowers... That's irrelevent, sorry, don't want to confuse you...

My point, is that whether or not you claim to know what you're doing is completely irrelevent to whether or not the people I'm talking about who have Colts who have experienced stoppages know what they're doing. Since you said it is user error that somehow "caused" their AR15's to jam...

Clear so far?

Another irrelevent thing you said, people who don't know how to clear a jam... isn't the point about whether or not the weapon in question (COLT, WHICH I DON'T OWN) would jam in the first place? That's pretty irrelevent to whether or not the idiot using it knows how to clear it or not. Although the people I am talking about (AGAIN, NOT TALKING FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A COLT AND HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED STOPPAGES WITH THE COLTS I DON'T HAVE) do not fall under this category. They knew what to do to attempt to clear the jam, but the issue is the jamming itself.

Is this too much information to understand all at once?? lol

Anyway, enough of that, I'll stop pretending that you're completely retarded.

I do have personal experience with the ACOG. I don't like it. Just because it wins a government contract doesn't mean it is the best thing out there. I don't have personal experience with a Colt jamming, just have personally witnessed it happening. On my friend's it happened a lot. It was fairly new, only a few hundred rounds through it at the time, and we tried all different magazines including my magpul pmags that have never jammed in my RRA. We tried relubing it even though it was thoroughly cleaned and lubed right before we went to the range.

He also has a Bushmaster, the only stoppage that has ever happened to that one was magazine related. So what, it's user error, so somehow he uses the AR15 like a pro when he's using his Bushy, but then he's all of a sudden a "noob" when he holds the Colt? How does that make any sense?

The other guy I referred to, we spoke to him, and he said his Colt has been jamming on him since the day he bought it, but he's been too lazy to contact Colt about it. He said he's just going to sell it to someone and not mention the jamming... yes, that's evil... but anyway, he was 11B in the Army Nasty Girls, which is infantryman for us.

The third person with a Colt jamming on him, we didn't talk to him, I just noticed him continuously trying to clear jams when he's shooting. One time when the range was cold and he was downrange working with his target, I peeked at it to see what name brand it was... Colt... But ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe that guy never cleaned it, or is using defective ammo, or he's somehow doing something that's messing it up like resting the AR15 on the magazine (I didn't see him doing that, but maybe he was), or he wasn't seating the mag completely, who knows.

Anyway, for me, Colts are overpriced and they think they own the rights to everything. They tried to claim that the word "Commando" belongs to them... yah... right... If you think that nothing is better than Colt, that's fine, you're the one buying them, not me. So more power to you.

For me, a PT1911 with the safety falling off on the first range trip, that's a sign of poor quality. Not because it is a Taurus. But the reason why I tend to be skeptical when it comes to Taurus is because this isn't the only Taurus weapon where I hear of horror stories like this. When I tried out 2 new Taurus snubbies, their triggers were nasty rough. I don't mind cheap guns, as long as they work like they should. Like my $200 Marlin, and my $150 Ruger 10/22. I bought a S&W M&P 9mm for like $450, and that thing has jammed on me a lot. The jamming has stopped after being broken in, but now it sometimes have problems with the slide holding open after the last shot. Not too happy about that...
Old 01-26-2009, 12:53 AM

Guess I am just super lucky then 'eh? 2 manufacturers that you seem to have contempt for have given me no problems whatsoever...

As for my Colt AR, I have had that for going on 7 years with countless rounds down range and have never had a single issue.

Both Colt and Taurus put out great quality products that I have trusted my life to and will continue to without reservation.

As far as what I did in the Marines, technical and then some... http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/mewss.htm

That and Rad Recon... so yeah, whatever...

Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 AM

Even the most problematic namebrand won't have a 100% failure rate. Just because yours haven't messed up doesn't mean it isn't a common thing. Not saying that is the case with Colt, but I sure have heard about 50 too many horror stories about Taurus for me to trust them. With Colt it's more of an issue of them costing more without having a real justification for it. I can get a RRA or Bushy with more features for hundreds less than a Colt and I've never had any issues with either of those brands, so I don't see the reason to give more money to these snobs at Colt that think they own the rights to everything.

But 7 years? Really? I barely see any brass on that deflector, are you shooting rubber cased rounds?? lol just kidding. Must be good finish, right? ;-)

As for the ACOG, like with any optics, it's pure personal preference. I don't like its extremely close eye relief, plus I'd rather have 0 magnification for my AR that is virtually parallax free. So that basically narrowed it down to EOTech or Aimpoint. I personally don't like the profile of the EOTech and like the battery life on the Aimpoint more. Closest thing to the ACOG's not needing a battery period. I kind of liked the included lens caps on the Aimpoint too for extremely bright conditions. I close the objective lens cover and shoot with both eyes open. The red dot on black background contrasts great even when it's extremely bright outside. They sell lens caps for the EOTech and ACOG too, but don't think that trick works with the ACOG because of the magnification, but whatever probably don't need it anyhow for that.

For magnified optics, I have been researching around for one that isn't so unforgiving when it comes to eye relief. Unforgiving meaning if you're only an inch too far it already starts to "bubble" like the ACOG does. I was recommended the IOR, and the more I read about it, the more I like it. One thing that is mentioned a lot about it is how even though it is supposed to be 3.75" eye relief, which is pretty good, people say you can be a few inches back or a few inches closer and it still won't "bubble." (Sorry, I forgot the correct term for that, lol) Not to mention that donut "CQB" reticle they use is pretty nice, and they say it's good for ranging since the space inside the "donut" is supposed to be the size of a human head at a certain range, forgot what range now, so you can calculate range quickly using that, kind of like using mil dots to range.

I hope to take a look through one at a gunshow one day or something.

But you're telling me that if something on your Taurus or Colt just randomly breaks after light use, that you would be able to just shrug it off as if it's no big deal? Please. After seeing my friend's PT1911's safety fly off after only like 20 rounds or so, I would be out of my mind to come home and think "man, I want one of those!" Add that to just how crappy the triggers felt on the Taurus hammerless snubby I tried, and that really unimpressive Taurus full size revolver I was issued at one point for some stupid job I had... Yah, you can probably understand my skepticism about Taurus. I'm sure any name brand that has given you that pattern of experiences you would be just as skepticle. Taurus hasn't done that to you, that's great, keep buying them, I'll keep not buying them so there will be more for you. :-D
Old 01-26-2009, 02:17 AM

Geeze Demon, STFU already, getting nowhere fast.

Where are your toys? Do you even own a gun? Or do you just like reading your own posts?

The rest of us don't have to talk about "our friends" guns. You probably don't have any of those either. Friends that is.
Dan Wesson Valor (2009) Valor #46 Cotep #184
Springfield TRP 10mm 6" RMR

Last edited by oak1971; 01-26-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:37 AM

Wow... I'd hate to sound condescending, but seriously... wow... what grade did you finish? Oh wait, they teach reading comprehension pretty early don't they??

"I know I was happy when I bagged that Marlin 30-30 Lever Action for a mere $200 and it works perfect, very accurate too"

"I own two RRA AR15's both relatively new, with about 3000 rounds through one, no malfunctions yet. I am in the middle of building two more AR15's with stripped spikes lowers... That's irrelevent, sorry, don't want to confuse you..."

I guess my mission failed, someone is REALLY confused. And like I explained like 46 times... ok, maybe only 44 times... I mention other people only because I'm talking about COLTs that I have seen jam, and I DON'T OWN A COLT so it would be pretty silly for me to say that I have experienced jamming in the Colt that I don't own... Of course trijicon already tried this strawman tactic of trying to change the topic of discussion. I guess you missed that too...

I didn't post pictures of the Colts and Taurus' that I don't own because I'm at work, I am not on my computer, but i actually posted pictures on another thread, not that it matters, you'll still want to feel cool with your "witty" response that turned out to be not that witty, but I won't tell anyone, I promise. ;-)

Just curious, but I have 6 more stripped AR15 lowers on their way, since that is where the serial is and is "technically" the firearm, does that mean I have a total of 10 AR15s?? lol :-D
Old 01-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Just curious, but I have 6 more stripped AR15 lowers on their way, since that is where the serial is and is "technically" the firearm, does that mean I have a total of 10 AR15s?? lol :-D
Why technically and legally, yes, thats exactly what it means.