New Taurus Owner - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 10:37 AM

New Taurus Owner

Hello all! I recently purchased a new Taurus PT 1911. It's the standard black version with Novak Sights. The only "mod" that I have done to it is to put on a Houge Mono Grip. Since I've purchased it, I've put about 300 rounds through it. The only problem I'm having with the gun is that I'm putting all shots in about the 8 o'clock position. While at the range yesterday a Forest Service LE Officer came up. We were talking about guns and after looking at my target he said that I possibly had too tight of a grip on the gun and was using too little trigger finger. Something to work on when I get some more ammo. I must say that I like my 1911 more than my Springfield XD40.
Aaron
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 AM

The PT 1911 is a great gun for the money. Enjoy. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aship View Post
Hello all! I recently purchased a new Taurus PT 1911. It's the standard black version with Novak Sights. The only "mod" that I have done to it is to put on a Houge Mono Grip. Since I've purchased it, I've put about 300 rounds through it. The only problem I'm having with the gun is that I'm putting all shots in about the 8 o'clock position. While at the range yesterday a Forest Service LE Officer came up. We were talking about guns and after looking at my target he said that I possibly had too tight of a grip on the gun and was using too little trigger finger. Something to work on when I get some more ammo. I must say that I like my 1911 more than my Springfield XD40.
Aaron
I have 500 rounds through my PT1911 and I am consistently shooting at the 'eastern 9 o'clock position'. I had another person who is a better shooter than me shoot the pistol and he was shooting at the same position. I will adjust the rear site just a hair and this should solve the problem. So, let another person shoot a mag through your pistol and see where they are shooting. You might have to adjust your rear site like I do. I like my PT1911 overall and I will buy another PT down the road. Oh, the mags however I do not like and will not use due to failure to stay open after the last round. I also had feeding problems on the last round of my Taurus mags. Did or are you having problems with your factory mags?
“The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living” Socrates; Socrates is a Man, All Men Are Mortal, Socrates is Mortal. " A Great Civilization is Not Conquered From Without Until it Has Destroyed itself From Within" W. Durant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Custom,
Thanks for the reply. I've had two other people shoot the pistol some and it shot well for them. One of them was able to put 8 into the 9 and X ring. So I think the shooting to the left is me. Right now the Mags are working fine. I've not had any problems with them. I've thought about getting some of the Wilson Mags, and keeping the Taurus mags for back ups.
Aaron
Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Do you know which eye is dominant? A lot of shooters do not know & it can cause the problem you are describing. Take a look at this article:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/433

RD
Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 PM

It sounds to me as if you are flexing your three grip fingers as you are pulling the trigger. If you hold your gun (UNLOADED) and practice trigger control you will see your barrel dip down and to the left a just a tad if you are flexing your grip fingers as you pull the trigger.

Also, do not use the crease in your trigger finger. Use the pad at the tip of your finger between the crease and the very tip to pull directly rearward on the trigger... If you like many people use the crease this will also cause a slight down and left movement of the barrel as you will be pulling at a slight angle.

Give it a shot
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM

motor, thanks for the article. I'm right handed and left eye dominant.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Motor,
Thanks for the link. Very informative. I'm right eye dominate and right handed so no problems there. Again thanks!

Trijicon,
Thanks for the info on the grip. That is something that I must look into. It sounds simple enough to fix. Also thanks for the reminder on the finger tip. I try to always shoot that way, but sometimes I get caught up in the moment and forget.

Thanks to everyone for their help. At first I thought that the sights might be off, since I had one large ragged hole a little low and to the left of center, but since two of my friends shot it and it went P.o.A. for them I'm thinking it's me. The good thing I see about this is, hey at least I'm consistent.
I must say that I really like the PT1911. I used to be all about the Springfield XD, but not anymore. Now I have two pistols that I rant and rave about! Hopefully I'll be able to get out to the range this evening and see what I can do. Again, thanks.
Aaron
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM

eye dominance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
Do you know which eye is dominant? A lot of shooters do not know & it can cause the problem you are describing. Take a look at this article:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/433

RD
I am a right handed shooter with left eye dominance. Been shooting all my life and didn't know till I tried to get contacts. I guess the years of shooting has trained my eyes to work the way I need them to. I can't explain it but when I shoot I use my r eye when I test for eye dominance it's my L eye that is dominant. Go figure