Taurus PT1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911?
yes 151 70.89%
no 62 29.11%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 PM

Taurus PT1911

good, bad, thoughts?

live free or die!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 PM

At this point I cannot make a valid judgment. I've only had mine for a week and I've only put about 400 rounds through it - no malfunctions to report though.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 AM

trust your life to Taurus PT1911

I have two. The black and stainless. Neither one has ever failed to fire anything I feed them. They really are 'tuned up' when they arrive. Both shot dead on without any sight adjustment at all. For the price, I enjoy both guns. The trigger job was exceptional. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 AM

Great gun... I have 2k+ rounds through mine in 3 months and it has been a tank. It is my daily carry gun and it feeds and fires FMJ, JHP, and reloads with no issues at all. It loads 8 round mags and 10 round mags flawlessly and is a true nail driver with tight groups.

I have no fear carrying this gun and I know it will go bang everytime I pull the trigger and wait for the follow up shots like a dog wagging it's tail waiting for you to throw the ball again to play fetch!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 AM

Had one. Major problems X 2. Great shooter, it just would not run reliably. Their CS is a joke.

RMD
Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=Recoil816;2075638]At this point I cannot make a valid judgment. I've only had mine for a week and I've only put about 400 rounds through it - no malfunctions

I agree about the vaild judgment, I have 100 through mine. I like the pistol and I will shoot it after I break in my new Colt..Someone needs to write an unbias range report to offically square this matter away.
“The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living” Socrates; Socrates is a Man, All Men Are Mortal, Socrates is Mortal. " A Great Civilization is Not Conquered From Without Until it Has Destroyed itself From Within" W. Durant
Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Here are a couple of articles, about as unbiased as you can get...

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...505/index.html

http://gunner777.wordpress.com/category/taurus-pt-1911/

Both are really good reads.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned

I would have put this in general gun discussion so you don't get a biased review. Most of the people here are die hard taurus supporters because its what they own. just my .02
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Actually, if that were true, then the totals would be different. Despite the gnashing and wailing of those who all too often DON'T own a PT1911, the plain truth appears to be that they're just like every other 1911 out there. Some need work, like the threads on Brown, Baer, and Wilson, others are just fine.

To be quite frank, the ONLY way to get an unbiased reading would be to somehow require that only those OWNING, or having OWNED, a PT1911 should be allowed to post in the thread, or in the poll.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM

I've got 700 rounds thru mine so far. I've only had it a month. No failures whatsoever. The gun is more accurate than I am able to shoot it.
At this time, I have no reason not to trust my life with this gun.
Attached Thumbnails
taurus 1.jpg  
Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
Here are a couple of articles, about as unbiased as you can get...

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...505/index.html

http://gunner777.wordpress.com/category/taurus-pt-1911/

Both are really good reads.
Thanks for the unbias reviews, they are enlightening to say the least. The Taurus is packed with a lot of custom features for a small portion of the price when compared to other custom 1911's. I also agree with JR 47 regarding people should vote if they own the pistol (all polls, not just this one). I am pretty sure with all the mim parts, the PT1911 will keep the traditionalists at bay.
“The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living” Socrates; Socrates is a Man, All Men Are Mortal, Socrates is Mortal. " A Great Civilization is Not Conquered From Without Until it Has Destroyed itself From Within" W. Durant

Last edited by customtrigger; 02-10-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar, etc..
Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM

The funny thing is that MOST 1911 manufacturers are using MIM parts now a-days and even using cast frames and slides instead of forged... Taurus uses Forged frames and slides (unless otherwise noted) and they also supply many, many other manufacturers with MIM parts since they manufacturer their MIM parts "in-house" ... I would not be surprised if Springfield used MIM supplied by Taurus since they are made in Brazil as well.

Which manufacturers out there use all forged parts?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is that MOST 1911 manufacturers are using MIM parts now a-days and even using cast frames and slides instead of forged... Taurus uses Forged frames and slides (unless otherwise noted) and they also supply many, many other manufacturers with MIM parts since they manufacturer their MIM parts "in-house" ... I would not be surprised if Springfield used MIM supplied by Taurus since they are made in Brazil as well.

I heard Dan Wesson doesn't use any MIM - although, it was from a random guy I was talking about 1911s with in a shop the other day. Who knows how credible that is.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 AM

I like mine. Had a scare with the slide as you saw in the previous post I made, but my local gunsmith thinks it is just tool marks, not a crack. Could be I wore some of the bluing off in that area of the slide. Will keep shooting it and watch for any changes. My only reservations are the Heinie straight eights on the blued gun. The front sight is too fat and coarse for any precise shooting at longer range, IMO. The stainless model I have has standard low mount Novaks with the three dot system, much more accurate at longer ranges due to finer sight picture. Otherwise both guns have gone bang every time I asked them to, scary accurate also, much more so then my Springfield MilSpec 1911A1. Would I trust my life to it, so far yes, but need to see how the slide does, hope it is just tool marks.

Stay alert, trust no one, keep your weapons handy.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 AM

I've had two. The first one had thumb safety problems. It would just freeze up sometimes. The second one ran just fine, but traded it in for a bunch of 45 ammo. Both guns were impressively accurate. I would have to say that the biggest turnoff to me is the billboard sized roll marks on the slide. I know that might be a little petty, but heck I do want to like the way one looks. If they changed that tomorrow, I could say without hesitation that I would get another.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:

I guess you have a point about the mim parts. Is casting considered injection molding?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 PM

2,000 rounds and counting and not a hitch, eats whatever I feed it.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csay View Post
I would have to say that the biggest turnoff to me is the billboard sized roll marks on the slide. I know that might be a little petty, but heck I do want to like the way one looks. If they changed that tomorrow, I could say without hesitation that I would get another.
I find it funny that you say that. Most manufacturer's now have pretty much added billboards to their lineup. Only Caspian will let you order without logos and such. Oh well, to each his own.

Stay alert, trust no one, keep your weapons handy.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 AM

My comment goes for any 1911 with a billboard sized roll mark. I just don't like a huge sign on any gun. There are a bunch of other makes out there that I will likely stay away from because of this. A lot of them might be good guns, but I just wish that gun makers would lay off the size of the roll marks a little bit.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csay View Post
My comment goes for any 1911 with a billboard sized roll mark. I just don't like a huge sign on any gun. There are a bunch of other makes out there that I will likely stay away from because of this. A lot of them might be good guns, but I just wish that gun makers would lay off the size of the roll marks a little bit.
Like Colt.....lol

Talk about a billboard.

However, the billboarding does not bother me and it is petty, but I understand what you are saying.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

I have one with over 3000 rounds through it. Like others have said it eats everything and goes bang when I pull the trigger. More accurate then I and all for $500.00.

Todd
Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Love my stainless

However, I wish someone would develop a practical hydraulic shock absorber to someway put on the back of the grip! That BANG sure does stir up my arthritic joints.

Haven't kept up with it but would estimate I've put approximately 500 rounds through mine without a single hiccup....mixed breed of ammo including reloads from local factory but mostly Blazer Brass. It's never failed me yet. I would certainly trust my life with it at this point in time.

By the way, I think the "Billboard" adds to the overall appearance of the gun.......but I've always had a pride of ownership in what I buy.........each to his own.

Trijicon, sure like the looks of yours. Top target has to either be from a vise or at a range of three feet??!! Mighty fine patterns........

Last edited by OleCodger; 02-15-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCodger View Post

Trijicon, sure like the looks of yours. Top target has to either be from a vise or at a range of three feet??!! Mighty fine patterns........
Thanks !

1st target was at 7 yards standing and 2nd target was 10 yards standing... lol, no vice or bags used but I did have my crimson trace grips turned on
Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks !

1st target was at 7 yards standing and 2nd target was 10 yards standing... lol, no vice or bags used but I did have my crimson trace grips turned on
Ya' damned cheater!

Seriously though, I'd love to have some of those. Too pricey at the moment for my pocketbook though.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM

I would like to update my post with a range report. I have 300 rounds through the pistol and the only problem is the magazines(I think). I did a search on this forum and found out my problem. The Taurus mags are faulty. The pistol would not feed the last round of my mag(5 times) or it would not lock back after the last round(1 time). Then I had a failure to feed, half of the round was stuck in the mag and the other half was entering the chamber. Luckly, I had two Chip mags with me and the gun fuctioned flawlessly with those mags. I will perform a thorough cleaning and take the pistol back this week and fire another 100-150 rounds through it.

Hopefully it is a mag issue. I was shooting Lawman and Remington 230 FMJ.