Saw the Kimber K6S Today - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Saw the Kimber K6S Today

My LGS had a Kimber K6S in their display. Price was $800.

I looked it over and talked to the LGS owner who knows alot about guns and revolvers in particular. The build quality looks pretty good. According to the LGS, the revolver is very SW "like" in it's build. The gun felt good in my hand and had a nice balance.

The trigger was OK. In DA, it has a "hitch" right at the end before the break. The DA poundage felt like it was on spec at about 10lbs. It was not as smooth as my SW Model 60 with the reduced poundage spring kit. But I like the trigger better than I like the Ruger LCR triggers.

While I prefer my SW Model 60 3", the Kimber would be an option compared to a Ruger.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM

I like the idea of Kimber getting into the revolver business but the relatively pricey K6S is not one I'd ever be interested in. Imo, a compact, light-weight snub-nose revolver will always be a configuration best suited for concealed carry for self-defense purposes. This all steel revolver is too big and heavy for EDC, again, imo. On the other hand, no adjustable sights and an abbreviated barrel make it the wrong choice for a target revolver.

I wish the new Kimber the best of luck but I think it costs too much for what you get (and what you can get for the same or less money, Ruger and Smith & Wesson being prime examples) and its configuration and features (or lack thereof) make it more "neither fish nor fowl" than a "Goldilocks" compromise option. Again, hope I am wrong.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM

The K6s weighs 23 oz. That is only 2 oz. more than Colt's famous Detective Special, a gun that has been carried since the 1920's. It also has a flatter profile and can handle magnums all day long. The very good trigger right out of the box makes me think it is good for more than just a belly gun. In fact, reports say it is very accurate.

Seems like a revolver worth looking into. I'm waiting for one with night sights for a decent price.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
The very good trigger right out of the box...
Based on my actually trying the trigger, I would not call it "very good" Acceptable, probably.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM

Hmmm... Sorry you weren't impressed. I have about 500 rounds through mine and it's my favorite revolver. Comfortable to shoot 38sp +p and 357s are manageable. The trigger on mine out of the box was better than any of my Smith's before I did trigger work in them.

Kimber also went the extra mile and did some extra machining on the cylinder and recessed the rounds which seems to be fairly rare in newer revolvers.

I find it amusing how some people, (not in this thread), complain about MIM parts, lack of machining, loose tolerences etc, but when a mfg comes out with a pistol that addresses these issues they complain about the price.

I appreciate craftsmanship and my K6s surpasses any of my Smith's or Rugers.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:17 PM

I actually saw one in Cabelas a few weeks ago.

I picked it up and checked it out.

Very S&W like (that is meant as a compliment) and I liked the fit, finish, feel and balance.

Cabelas had a very high price on it though.

If Kimber comes out with a 3" or 4" version I will check it out. I do think there is a market there if they execute it nicely.

Please be aware that there is also a member named Tom R. He and I are two different Site Members.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:30 AM

I have had a K6s since December and shot it quite a bit. I am a revolver guy and love mine. Only complaint is I am not a fan of rubber grips. Great for shooting, not for carrying. I just ordered a set of grey checkered laminate wood grips from Altamont. These are very well made guns, Kimber got this right.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The K6s weighs 23 oz. That is only 2 oz. more than Colt's famous Detective Special, a gun that has been carried since the 1920's.
It's also a half pound heavier than Colt's equally famous Cobra six-shot revolver-the Detective Special made out of aluminum alloy.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM

I handled one but did not get to shoot it. It's clearly a nice & well-made piece.

I'd buy one if I wanted a new revolver (but I'm into vintage guns)

stratowalker-------- You are correct. People will complain about low quality and if it's high quality they complain about price.

So the answer is easy: Start a company & make stuff extremely well at great cost, then sell it at a huge loss for pennies on the dollar.

For the 3 weeks you can stay in business you will CRUSH your competition.

As a Realtor I would show cheap houses in sketchy areas. The buyers would earnestly tell me with real seriousness "can you find me a house like this, at this price, by the beach?"

------------- Uuuuuuh, sure. In Somalia.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:24 PM

The quality of mine exceeds any of my Smiths. The weight is pretty equal with my 640Pro. The cost with lasergrips and a trigger job is within a few dollars of my 640 Pro with lasergrips.
The Kimber nas no MIM parts, recessed charge holes, a ultra smooth trigger, great sights, no lock, and it holds six rounds.

A no brainer choice as to which gets carried every day.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:47 AM

Gnystrom, that is a really nice looking setup...

I also own a 640 Pro and it sports CT laser grips. It is finally a good little handgun worthy of the "Professional Series" label, however I had to work through numerous quality issues which required four different trips to the mothership to correct. These problems and issues with two other S&W current production revolvers has me looking elsewhere for quality wheel guns.

From all I've read, Kimber is producing a well made revolver. Fit, finish, functionality, and attention to detail tends to costs money to include in any product.

These are attributes which are very desirable and I will pay a few extra dollars to have them included in my handguns.

Edmo
Old 04-22-2017, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
The quality of mine exceeds any of my Smiths. The weight is pretty equal with my 640Pro. The cost with lasergrips and a trigger job is within a few dollars of my 640 Pro with lasergrips.
The Kimber nas no MIM parts, recessed charge holes, a ultra smooth trigger, great sights, no lock, and it holds six rounds.

A no brainer choice as to which gets carried every day.
You have me confused. Did it come with an ultra smooth trigger, or did it need a trigger job And, did the K6S need the trigger job to be comparable to the 640 Pro standard trigger?

NRA Life Member
Old 04-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I handled one but did not get to shoot it. It's clearly a nice & well-made piece.

I'd buy one if I wanted a new revolver (but I'm into vintage guns)

stratowalker-------- You are correct. People will complain about low quality and if it's high quality they complain about price.

So the answer is easy: Start a company & make stuff extremely well at great cost, then sell it at a huge loss for pennies on the dollar.

For the 3 weeks you can stay in business you will CRUSH your competition.

As a Realtor I would show cheap houses in sketchy areas. The buyers would earnestly tell me with real seriousness "can you find me a house like this, at this price, by the beach?"

------------- Uuuuuuh, sure. In Somalia.
Absolute gospel. The only thing that keeps China in business is that Americans love to buy stuff as cheap as possible, while at the same time scratching the punkin on their shoulders wondering where the high paying manufacturing jobs are.

I put internet gun shoppers in the same category, wondering where all the good LGS's have gone.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
^^^Love this setup, totally kick arse.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Good looking snubbie setup.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Got to shoot one today. First thing I did was put on a shooting glove. Glad I did, because the punishment was what one would expect from store bought SJSP ammo. Then we tried 7.0 BE-86 and 158 gr lead, and that was more manageable. So I would call it a reloaders gun or surely to favor 38 Special.

The DAO trigger pull was long but very smooth. I wish I had dry fired it a few times first but did get the hang of it.

I don't plan to buy one. While it does hold 6 rounds, it is just another undersized 38 pretending to be 357.
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
You have me confused. Did it come with an ultra smooth trigger, or did it need a trigger job And, did the K6S need the trigger job to be comparable to the 640 Pro standard trigger?
The Kimber did not need any trigger work. It is extremely smooth and there is no stacking. It indexes so you will have no problem shooting in a somewhat single action mode if you want. Every Smith I own whether from the Performance Center or factory gun has needed trigger work or at the least, removal of the sideplate to clean out metal bits or dried lube from the factory. Yes, there are those that say just dryfire it a few thousand times and it will smooth out. Sorry, that may work but it seems to be a silly solution to a problem that should not be there in the first place.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The Kimber did not need any trigger work. It is extremely smooth and there is no stacking. It indexes so you will have no problem shooting in a somewhat single action mode if you want. Every Smith I own whether from the Performance Center or factory gun has needed trigger work or at the least, removal of the sideplate to clean out metal bits or dried lube from the factory. Yes, there are those that say just dryfire it a few thousand times and it will smooth out. Sorry, that may work but it seems to be a silly solution to a problem that should not be there in the first place.
Most new guns these days seem to be works in progress. I have done it enough to know. I just can't seem to get anything without at least one trip back to the factory or to my gunsmith. Many used guns bought require gunsmithing to undue the bubba work or for a long overdue clean and lube. Most require some reworking to shoot lead bullets. Wanting something perfect from the box and at a price we like is just not realistic these days.

Buying a new Smith is academic, because I am not doing any more of that. Older is better. Pay up if you want a really nice one.

Last edited by RealGun; Yesterday at 10:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

Yes, I prefer vintage guns for a boatload of reasons. One is that you know what you are getting if you meet the seller at the range.

When you are buying a new gun, you don't know squat about it. It's funny that people think it's the opposite, but it's not.

It's like getting a puppy. He might become a psycho dog.

But if you adopt an adult dog, you get him as he is. No hope for good behavior needed.
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Administrator

It certainly looks like a nice piece, but I'm kinda scratching my head why there seems to be a resurgence in heavy, bulky 2" revolvers when there are so many lightweight pocket 9mms out there. I would only buy the Kimber simply because I am attracted to guns that are built like a Swiss watch instead of a Casio.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It certainly looks like a nice piece, but I'm kinda scratching my head why there seems to be a resurgence in heavy, bulky 2" revolvers when there are so many lightweight pocket 9mms out there.
Definitely an interesting move by Kimber, we may never know why, but they obviously sensed an opening. I'd imagine Kimber's pockets are pretty deep too.

Kimbers leadership and marketing brilliance is something that I wish Colt possessed. I kinda wish that behind the scenes, Kimber owned Colt. If they did, the industry would've already seen a host of period correct retro pistols and rifles.