Tool steel parts REALLY better? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Tool steel parts REALLY better?

So I need a full size .45 ACP. I'm looking at TRPs and the Combat Operator. Can anyone really feel the difference in the trigger between these two? I can get a standard TRP for under $1300 with ambi safety and a magwell while the CO is a bit more money without those features. Is it truly better, or is this a theoretical argument? Any and all opinions welcome.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Depends on what day of the week you ask .
Old 04-18-2017, 10:46 AM

I know the merits of tool steel have been discussed, but can anyone truly feel a difference in operation? I think I just have to buy a pistol and start shooting it.
Jeff

Old 04-18-2017, 10:53 AM

I would suggest the difference is in durability. In truth, for many people that is not a consideration as they just don't shoot that much. I have several full custom guns with tool steel firing system and a couple of TRPs with factory parts tuned to about 3 lb.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM

Tool steel parts are stronger in general. The most important parts IMO to be tool steel are the ignition parts. While a mim sear and hammer may work fine it's not optimal for a trigger job IMO. Tool steel sears are much easier to work with as are tool steel hammers. That this is all assuming they are of quality manufacture. Many smiths won't do a trigger job on mim sears and hammers. Has to mean something..
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 PM

Ahhhh, the age-old, tool steel vs, MIM thread. Haven't had one of these in a long while . To answer your questions:

Can you feel the difference? No.
Theoretical argument? Yes. (I'll go one further: goofy interweb argument.)
Is tool steel stronger? Perhaps. Does it matter? No.

The fact is that there are countless pistols in daily use, service use, competition use with MIM components. Yet, the only time it seems to be an issue is with 1911s. Gotta wonder why that is? Perhaps because there's a robust after-market parts industry? Perhaps because so many 'gunsmiths' are taking advantage of that after-market industry? Who really knows? The fact is, MIM works and works well. Action jobs can be successfully performed on those components. Now, if your preference is otherwise, that's fine. But it shouldn't be an indictment of MIM, it's just a preference. I submit that your grand-kids will still be using your MIM-equipped pistol, right along side your tool-steel equipped pistol.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Tool steel resists rust(in the white) when oiled more than MIM, a tool steel sear holds an edge longer.

Sent from a distant planet far far away
Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 PM

Tool steel if properly formulated and heat treated may be better than most MIM. Mediocre tool steel may be inferior to premium MIM subject to top level quality control. After all the material used to make MIM may be tool steel.

Joe
Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 PM

Good steel will hold the trigger job longer but you can't really compare two new production guns, one with MIM and one with tool steel components and judge the triggers that way. Factory trigger pulls and quality are all over the map regardless of what parts they used to slap it together. The trigger pull is all about the angles of the sear and hammer and some spring tuning - both of which the mass producers aren't willing to spend a lot of time on - like a Wilson.

Last edited by drail; 04-18-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 PM

Tool steel was blessed by our Lord and Savior John Moses Browning.
MIM is the Devil's work.

My oldest gun with MIM bits is an early Kimber model. I've been shooting it on and off since I bought it, and the only change I've made, was ditching the rubber "MIM" of grips for something in wood.

I do attribute more worth to a gun without the MIM bits, and I'd never buy a replacement part for one of my guns that was MIM. That said. I don't actively replace them either. I will say I have never had an issue with an MIM part.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 04-19-2017, 01:54 AM

I am curious if anyone has compared trigger pulls of MIM vs tool steel triggers with the Trigger Scan system. If no one can feel a difference, or display it with the Trigger Scan, then the argument is in longevity or mean time between failures. If the Pro has some MIM parts then I think they must be okay in certain applications. Thanks for everyone's thoughts - not trying to just be an MIM troll.
Regards,
Jeff
Old 04-19-2017, 04:31 AM

OK. I will bite.

Here is the way I would end this argument.

You have a choice.

Pick one.

Both pistols cost the same.

One 1911 built with MIM by, say, Kimber.

Other built with tool steel parts, say, Wilson Combat Bullet Proof parts.

Which would you choose?

I will go with tool steel.

Have a great day.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason d View Post
tool steel was blessed by our lord and savior john moses browning.
Mim is the devil's work.

lol ....
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Ahhhh, the age-old, tool steel vs, MIM thread. Haven't had one of these in a long while . To answer your questions:

Can you feel the difference? No.
Theoretical argument? Yes. (I'll go one further: goofy interweb argument.)
Is tool steel stronger? Perhaps. Does it matter? No.

The fact is that there are countless pistols in daily use, service use, competition use with MIM components. Yet, the only time it seems to be an issue is with 1911s. Gotta wonder why that is? Perhaps because there's a robust after-market parts industry? Perhaps because so many 'gunsmiths' are taking advantage of that after-market industry? Who really knows? The fact is, MIM works and works well. Action jobs can be successfully performed on those components. Now, if your preference is otherwise, that's fine. But it shouldn't be an indictment of MIM, it's just a preference. I submit that your grand-kids will still be using your MIM-equipped pistol, right along side your tool-steel equipped pistol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
My oldest gun with MIM bits is an early Kimber model. I've been shooting it on and off since I bought it, and the only change I've made, was ditching the rubber "MIM" of grips for something in wood.

I do attribute more worth to a gun without the MIM bits, and I'd never buy a replacement part for one of my guns that was MIM. That said. I don't actively replace them either. I will say I have never had an issue with an MIM part.

Both of these are so true .

JNW :
If you like the TRP buy the TRP . Its a good pistol and you can't really
go wrong with it . It will do the job well . Plus you have a lifetime
Warranty so if the MIM goes bad SA will fix it . That being said I would
trust my life to any pistol I've shot 1000 rds or more through and its
preformed well in that time .
Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 AM

I look at it this way, and in this case, specifically as it relates to my TRPs: I could've spent a couple hundred dollars replacing MIM parts with, say, WC Bullet Proof parts, but I wouldn't have had $200 worth of ammo supplies. 15K, or so, rounds through each pistol later, the MIM parts are still holding up just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW View Post
So I need a full size .45 ACP. I'm looking at TRPs and the Combat Operator. Can anyone really feel the difference in the trigger between these two? I can get a standard TRP for under $1300 with ambi safety and a magwell while the CO is a bit more money without those features. Is it truly better, or is this a theoretical argument? Any and all opinions welcome.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Glock, emotions aside, are probably the most robust and dependable pistols on the market. They're carried by police worldwide, militaries and military contractors worldwide, and continue to go through rigorous testing with very very few parts breakages.....

They're made of plastic and MIM parts.

I rest my case.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 PM

I think them MIM ignition parts are doing just fine for most shooters. Tool steel offers more flexability in how the gunsmith can tune the sear/hammer engagement. Some smiths won't do anything with MIM aside from cleaning the burrs to smooth things up.

I've got one 1911 with MIM ignition parts. It has a very smooth rolling break. I have another 1911 with tool steel ignition parts. It feels the same as the MIM one. Neither have been tuned, only smoothed out. I expect the tool steel should last longer and tune easier. But honestly, my trigger "feel" needs are very simple. I really just wanted the sweet commander hammer that came in the tool steel kit

Most of the other parts are MIM. I don't lose any sleep over that.

PS. To interject with what Wilsonedbrown stated, Jerry Kuhnhausen seems to advocate replacing any part that is questionable with high quality steel. While I have trouble going that far with it, I'm sure he had good reason. I tend to wonder if the cheaper steels were of lower quality at the time of publication.

Last edited by Slow bullet guy; 04-19-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM

Can someone provide the link to the thread with all of the hundreds of pictures of broken MiM parts???

Last edited by TRSOtto; 04-19-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky619 View Post
Glock, emotions aside, are probably the most robust and dependable pistols on the market. They're carried by police worldwide, militaries and military contractors worldwide, and continue to go through rigorous testing with very very few parts breakages.....

They're made of plastic and MIM parts.

I rest my case.
I think the MIM parts are relatively new in Glocks. By relatively new, I mean within the last 10 years or so.

I did see something in a magazine write up about the new Walther Creed that I would question the merit of. The barrel appeared to be cast. It had casting marks in the barrel lug under the barrel. The weirdest damn thing I have ever seen in a gun magazine. I don't know whether it was investment cast, or MIM, but I would not want to be the tester for that.
1911forum member #7
Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I think the MIM parts are relatively new in Glocks. By relatively new, I mean within the last 10 years or so.
Glocks of the last 10myears have qualified for use in Special Operations military roles, and still sell by the bajillion to enthusiasts, professionals, and everyone in between, simply because they work.

I'm not trying to make this a Glock thread, but just trying to give some context. It's irrefutable that a plastic and MIM gun is considered to be the gold standard for self defense. So why have heartburn because a few parts in a 1911 are MIM? That would be an exercise in not applying logic.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 AM

I would be more concerned about the trigger pull of the specific pistol I was buying. I have worked on two EMP4s side by side one with a 5lb trigger pull one with a 7 1/2 lb pull of grit and nastiness.

What happens if you set the TRP down after testing the pull and it's a 4 1/2lb decent production gun trigger pull and then you try the CO and it 6 lbs of grit and mush? Does it matter then what the parts are made out of?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky619 View Post
Glocks of the last 10myears have qualified for use in Special Operations military roles, and still sell by the bajillion to enthusiasts, professionals, and everyone in between, simply because they work.

I'm not trying to make this a Glock thread, but just trying to give some context. It's irrefutable that a plastic and MIM gun is considered to be the gold standard for self defense. So why have heartburn because a few parts in a 1911 are MIM? That would be an exercise in not applying logic.
A Glock and a 1911 are completely different designs and based on technologies of their own respective eras. There was no MIM in 1911. Glock has nothing like the internals of the 1911. It is an apples to oranges argument.

I am a huge Glock fan.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I did see something in a magazine write up about the new Walther Creed that I would question the merit of. The barrel appeared to be cast. It had casting marks in the barrel lug under the barrel. The weirdest damn thing I have ever seen in a gun magazine. I don't know whether it was investment cast, or MIM, but I would not want to be the tester for that.
I would wager Glock forges their barrels (given they make their own dies and cutters).

Thoughts?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM

"It's irrefutable that a plastic and MIM gun is considered to be the gold standard for self defense.." That's the funniest thing I've heard in a very long time. You cannot be serious.......

Last edited by drail; 04-21-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopknockious View Post
I would wager Glock forges their barrels (given they make their own dies and cutters).

Thoughts?
I didn't mean to allude to MIM barrels in Glocks. Their barrels appear to be conventional. I was commenting on Glock being fairly new to the use of MIM for things like rail inserts and other parts.

The Walther Creed comment was just a weird observation I made of their new gun. Trying to make a barrel cheaper is not a new concept. Springfield at one time was marketing 1911's with two piece barrels.
1911forum member #7