First Kimber - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-16-2017, 08:28 PM

First Kimber

I never had any ill thoughts or feelings toward Kimber but have heard that their newer offerings fall somewhat short of their pistols of the early yrs.

I purchased a used blued Classic Gold Match, has a little wear but wear doesnt bother me in the least. I have lots of other 1911 offerings from manufacturers ( DW,Springfield,Colt,CZ,Citadel) this CGM from Kimber seems to be a VERY nice pistol. I LIKE!!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps View Post
I never had any ill thoughts or feelings toward Kimber but have heard that their newer offerings fall somewhat short of their pistols of the early yrs.

I purchased a used blued Classic Gold Match, has a little wear but wear doesnt bother me in the least. I have lots of other 1911 offerings from manufacturers ( DW,Springfield,Colt,CZ,Citadel) this CGM from Kimber seems to be a VERY nice pistol. I LIKE!!
I have a Kimber classic II, and it has served me well despite all the warnings from the Colt Fanboys and the Dan Wesson fanboys. My brother has a Dan Wesson, CZ 1911 and has had a cult. I shot them all. And from my perspective my Kimber ones just as well as any of them

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 09:29 PM

I think you will be pleased ...

Old 04-16-2017, 10:42 PM

There are a s#!t load of flawless running Kimber 1911s serving shooters out there. And a small portion of some not so good ones. You are likely to be fine with yours.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 PM

Welcome to the Addiction.
Uh hem \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 PM

Congrats, and welcome to Kimber.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 PM

Hello hps, I keep hearing how the early models are Super Duper, but the current models are junk, or nearly so. Never owned an early model, but have owned a half dozen Kimbers made in the last 15 years or so. I can say they were all very good guns, well worth the price of admission IMHO. My current Eclipse Target in 38Super has performed flawlessly with any factory or handloaded ammunition I've used in it. I'd estimate that this gun must have somewhere near a thousand rounds through it at this point. It has had no tuning,tweaking,polishing or parts replacement of any kind to improve reliability or accuracy. It has never failed to feed, fire, eject, extract and lock the slide back on empty. I don't know if it's just luck of the draw, or improved manufacturing, but this one has the best barrel/slide/frame fit of the several I've owned. Accuracy wise it is certainly the equal of my Colt Custom Shop Special Combat Government, that cost considerably more $$$. Anyway, I'll report as soon as my Kimber "falls somewhat short" or perhaps just crumbles to a cheap metallic dust. But no one should probably hold their breath waiting for that report

BTW, I examined a new Kimber Gold Match and new Colt Gold Cup in a shop a couple years ago. The Kimber was much better fitted, had a better trigger, and much finer finish that the Gold Cup. Had I been in the market for such a pistol, I would have purchased the Kimber, but would have had no interest whatsoever in purchasing the Gold Cup. And I like Gold Cups! I've owned 9 GCs since the '70s. Sad to say, they were not all very good guns. Enjoy your Kimber. It should serve you well.

Last edited by Rock185; 04-20-2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typos.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:42 PM

Hey thanks Rock! I can tell ya, I've 10 or so 1911's in my collection all production but quality production 1911's in my opinion. This new to me Kimber for some reason is at the top of the ones that I TRULY enjoy, its my only Kimber but will prolly not be my last Kimber. It is just a pleasure to shoot and hold.

It has wear and slide to frame is a LIL loose but the barrel lockup is STRONG!! When i get out a 1911 to fondle it has been this one. LOVE the blued worn finish for some reason. I wont buy a newer Kimber and be disappointed, if and when I get another it will be from the suspected GOLDEN YRS!!
Old 04-30-2017, 03:59 PM

Great! Glad you like it. In my experience Kimber makes a fine pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetical1 View Post
I have a Kimber classic II, and it has served me well despite all the warnings from the Colt Fanboys and the Dan Wesson fanboys. My brother has a Dan Wesson, CZ 1911 and has had a cult. I shot them all. And from my perspective my Kimber ones just as well as any of them
Everyone is going to have their opinion, but my Kimbers aren't even in the same world as my Dan Wesson Valor. Great guns they are, but side by side they ain't close.

I'll agree on Colts though, I keep wanting to like them but they keep being overhyped and overpriced.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:27 PM

Jr24, Yep, the DWs are "usually" a cut above. Cycling the slide, trigger quality, etc, feels more like some of the other pistols I'm kinda fond of

Unfortunately my latest DW PM9, purchased 3-4 years ago and still own, did not have the same attention to barrel fit of my earlier DW, and did not display the accuracy that I knew was possible with these pistols. This DW required some effort to get it to the level I knew it was capable of. My latest Kimber, Flawless.....
Attached Thumbnails
SIG 9s (5).JPG   Eclipse.JPG  
Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
Jr24, Yep, the DWs are "usually" a cut above. Cycling the slide, trigger quality, etc, feels more like some of the other pistols I'm kinda fond of

Unfortunately my latest DW PM9, purchased 3-4 years ago and still own, did not have the same attention to barrel fit of my earlier DW, and did not display the accuracy that I knew was possible with these pistols. This DW required some effort to get it to the level I knew it was capable of. My latest Kimber, Flawless.....
Beautiful. Too bad you had to work that PM9 into shape.

I just got my new Ultra carry sorted out (didnt like my reloads at first) and am loving my first 3" 1911. Gotta work on my accuracy with that wee little thing.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 PM

First of all, I am NOT knocking any brand, but simply replying about what you hear about Kimber etc.

I own 2 FLAWLESS Kimbers (pro carry ii and pro raptor ii), they just warm my heart with each and every range trip. The raptor is my edc and has 2500-ish rounds so far, never a problem period.

I also own a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander that has never made it through more than two magazines without ftf issues since I have owned it.

Moral of the story is any manufacturer can have problems and most do at some point. I believe that the colt will straighten out after a proper break in period, but I could be running around slamming them because of my experience with this one.

Brand loyalty is great (i am loyal to my Kimber) and brand rivalries are kind of entertaining, but I don't take them too seriously.
YMMV

Last edited by 1911edc; 04-30-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:39 AM

Lay out 5 Kimber's in a row and look them over and you will see the fit & finish will be very consistent as well as trigger pull. You will get the same results with SFA and others. Line up 5 of one of the oldest maker of the 1911 and the quality will be all over the map. I have had very good luck with my Kimber's mim parts and all. Kimber customer service could use some attention and I feel SFA has the best customer service. Just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkimberwomen View Post
Lay out 5 Kimber's in a row and look them over and you will see the fit & finish will be very consistent as well as trigger pull. You will get the same results with SFA and others. Line up 5 of one of the oldest maker of the 1911 and the quality will be all over the map. I have had very good luck with my Kimber's mim parts and all. Kimber customer service could use some attention and I feel SFA has the best customer service. Just my opinion.
I would agree. Too bad Springfield (I assume that's your SFA) won't be getting a red dime from me anytime soon after their recent shenanigans.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=786226
Old 05-06-2017, 06:48 AM

I'll still buy Springfield.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps View Post
I'll still buy Springfield.
Me too !!!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:26 AM

All my Kimbers have pinned ejector's, only springfield
not.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:36 PM

I've owned five Kimber's and all have been very good guns, never have understood the Kimber's bashing that goes on.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-08-2017, 02:27 PM

I just got my first 1911 ... a Kimber Custom II. I'm happy too.