Looky what I found on Tucson Back Page the other day! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 09:10 AM

Looky what I found on Tucson Back Page the other day!

I was browsing Tucson's back page on Monday and came across a nice clean H&R 926. I know what a H&R 999 but have never seen a 926. 999's if you can find them are usually pricey and I didn't want a 6" barrel. Called the guy, he lived a few shorts blocks from me, go figure! He is PCSO, Pima County Sheriff Officer, met him, he was asking 380, I offered 350 he took it and know I am the new owner of a Clean H&R 926! Took it out yesterday to see how it shoots. Works fine, not equal to my Ruger Standards or MK II but it is a nice little revolver! Ordered a few small parts, springs and screws from Gun Parts to have handy, it's a made in 1975, so its 42 years old.

Ruger Standard .22 Top, H&R 926 bottom 10 yrds.

Colt 1908 .380 Suppressed 10 yrds.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:22 AM

That is actually a really nice find!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 AM

That's great! Those little .22 revolvers are a lot of fun.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM

Nice score! Those old H&R's are durable and well made.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 04-13-2017, 10:33 AM

The only weakness on those H&Rs is the mainspring head which on some guns is plastic and tends to break over time. There are metal replacements available or you can replace with plastic. Good knock around guns.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 AM

H&Rs is the mainspring head which on some guns is plastic and tends to break over tim

Quote:
H&Rs is the mainspring head which on some guns is plastic and tends to break over time.
First thing I ordered from Gun Parts when I got the gun, then I looked inside. Mine is the all metal one, no plastic! So I got a new extra mainspring and guide without plastic coming and a new cylinder retaining spring too just in case! Picked up a couple of sight screws too.

Last edited by GreasyStool; 04-13-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:47 AM

you lucky [email protected]! I tried calling him the other day about it and he said he had sold it. so you were the culprit!

at least it went to another NW Tucson forum member

Last edited by wormraper; 04-13-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM

Nice score! Never see those short barreled ones around here, only the 6 inch versions. I'm envious!
Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 PM

Very nice indeed!
Old 04-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Very nice.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Congrats to you. They are fun to own and shoot. I use to sort of collect top break H&Rs but got into other stuff. Still enjoy those I kept.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
you lucky [email protected]! I tried calling him the other day about it and he said he had sold it. so you were the culprit!
I was at work when I saw it at 5:30AM! Sent him an email from work, picked it that afternoon after work at Sprouts, Magee and Oracle!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Love those old H&R's. They are great shooters if they were half way taken care of!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:13 PM

Hi, I sold my Ruger Mk I 22 to buy an H&R #999 Sportsman. Mine was made in 1941, it is a tack driver, & has the same capacity as my Ruger 22 but a lot more accurate in my hands.
I also have an H&R snubnose 22, & a 38 short Defender. Enclosing pix of my short H&Rs.
I like them, very light weight & surprisingly accurate .
Attached Thumbnails
H&R 22LR.JPG   H&R 38 & 22.JPG  
Old 04-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Does anyone know of a gunsmith that works on these break top H&R's? I have one that is old and worn, and a couple of chambers don't always fire. I'd like to see about having it gone thru and tuned up.

Rick
COTEP CBOB 0635
Old 04-13-2017, 06:22 PM

I worked on one of these for a customer last year. It was relatively easy to disassemble but a bear to reassemble. I e-mailed people all over the country and finally found someone with a schematic after about three months. I had fixed the hand which was buggered up. The problem is that there is no side plate to remove and work with internals. They all just drop out of the bottom of the firearm after you remove the trigger guard. I was going to do a youtube video but I had so much trouble getting everything reassembled the first time, I didn't want to deal with it again.

I'll never work on these again. I got this one working just fine but there are no good schematics and it's just a headache.

I'm sure there are better people out there than me who would tackle smithing one of these old H&Rs.

Good luck. Fine revolver and great collectibles!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:16 AM

Here's my 1934 (bought new by my Dad)

We should be thankful to both
Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 AM

I own one of those H&R revolvers and I think that H&R had some quality control issues
The cylinder ratchet on mine has left an impression on the frame of my revolver.This left too big a gap between the cyl. and barrel. I Had fired it extensively with high speed .22 lr ammo.
I took it to a good smith, as it was beyond my skills, and he said that not all
H&R's did this but he had seen "quite a few" that had been fired a lot exhibit this problem. He blamed poor steel and/or hardening.
When I bought mine it was about 1/2 the cost of a S&W so I wasn't really surprised. I just did not have the money to buy a better one at the time.
The smith said the right way to fix this was to build up and file down the frame, but it was too costly on a cheap revolver.
My solution was a very thin, small diameter shim washer that neatly fit between the ratchet and frame and did not interfere with the hand.
Now I don't shoot it as much but I only use standard velocity rounds when I do.
My buddy says I should sell it but I cannot in good conscience. My problem would just become someone else's.

Last edited by griffon5642; 04-14-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:20 AM

My dad had one in 38 S&W with a 4 inch barrel. I borrowed it for a few months when I went to work as a private armed security officer. It sat well in the holster and felt good in my hand. It was also quite accurate. He sold it about 10 years after I got my own handgun, wish I had that little H&R back. It may not be worth much as far as money goes but it was my dad's and to me that is what counts. Thanks for the very fond memory.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 PM

I have one exactly like it. It belonged to my father in law. Nice little revolver and pretty accurate also.

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk