1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 07:25 PM

Remington R1 Enhanced 9mm

Hello,
Just last week got my Remington R1 Enhanced 9mm.
went shooting to the range this Sunday, used 2 magazines that came with it.
i had a lot of failure to eject and feed at least twice per mag. I'm ordering 2 Wilson Combat magazines as i saw lots of youtube videos that describe the same issue with original magazines from Remington. My recoil spring looks like it's bidirectional both ends look exactly the same. is this new for the latest models or is it because my is 9mm? not sure. i really like the way it shoots very accurate at 7 yards. also the guide rod in this model is real tiny, it is real loose inside the recoil spring is this normal?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:41 AM

Welcome aboard and I have no idea on the recoil rod on the R1. I've been testing some different mags on my Sig and so far no issues. I just picked up a couple of CobraMags and they seem to have a good rep from what I've read.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:43 PM

Welcome to the forum
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Reagan

Old 12-20-2016, 06:12 PM

Welcome from south Texas.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:38 AM

Welcome from The Old Continent to one of the best gun forums on the Net.

Season's Greetings.

Before you start collecting 1911s .... buy books! Collect "quality" not something that you'll be forever making excuses for, and buy the gun not the story behind it.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:36 AM

The small guide rod is necessary for a flat wire recoil spring. Pull your extractor ans see if they didn't put a .45 extractor in there. They seem to make this mistake quite a bit. I found that mine was built incorrectly and since changing it our for a properly tuned 9mm extractor it has run 100% for the last 2k rounds using every magazine including the factory ones.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Matt View Post
The small guide rod is necessary for a flat wire recoil spring. Pull your extractor ans see if they didn't put a .45 extractor in there. They seem to make this mistake quite a bit. I found that mine was built incorrectly and since changing it our for a properly tuned 9mm extractor it has run 100% for the last 2k rounds using every magazine including the factory ones.
I'm having similar issues and found my ejector very loose. I called Remington and they are sending me a new one and pin. How can I tell the difference between Remington 45 and 9mm ejectors???
Old 12-21-2016, 09:02 PM

thank you all for the worm welcome!!!

i sent an email to Remington explaining the issue, they just said to send the gun back to them, they said that extractor might need adjustment. i don't think i'm going to send anything back. i ordered a WC Extractor, 80 Series, .38 Super/9mm, Bullet Proof®, Stainless and a Extended Ejector, .38 Super/9mm, Full-Size, Blue. should get it tomorrow unfortunately wont be able to test it until next week. i'm not sure on how to tell the difference between 45 and 9mm extractor, i guess when i get the new one i will compare them. will let everyone know if it fixes the issue.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyL View Post
thank you all for the worm welcome!!!

i sent an email to Remington explaining the issue, they just said to send the gun back to them, they said that extractor might need adjustment. i don't think i'm going to send anything back. i ordered a WC Extractor, 80 Series, .38 Super/9mm, Bullet Proof®, Stainless and a Extended Ejector, .38 Super/9mm, Full-Size, Blue. should get it tomorrow unfortunately wont be able to test it until next week. i'm not sure on how to tell the difference between 45 and 9mm extractor, i guess when i get the new one i will compare them. will let everyone know if it fixes the issue.
A .45 extractor will have the pad midway. A 9mm/38 super extractor will have no midway pad on the inboard side to allow the extractor hook to set closer to centerline of the bore to make contact with the smaller diameter cartridge rim.

I've removed the pad on .45 extractors to make them function properly in 9mm and 10mm 1911's; so save your old one, as you can easily modify it for a spare.

Rick
http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Last edited by Rick McC.; 12-21-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:10 PM

Thanks Rick,
i will take pictures of both extractor to compare, once i receive the new one tomorrow
Old 12-22-2016, 09:22 AM

attached picture is the original extractor
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2061.JPG  
Old 12-22-2016, 09:24 AM

so this one has pads on both sides, must be .45?
Old 12-22-2016, 03:00 PM

below are the pictures of original and Wilson Combat replacement 9mm
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2065.jpg  
Old 12-23-2016, 10:28 PM

Greetings from the center of the known universe in beautiful, downtown Schertz, Texas LennyL! You'll enjoy your time here as there are dealers, 'smiths, aficionados, and lovers of the 1911. Ask a question and you will get great answers from some of the most knowledgeable people.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-26-2016, 04:32 PM

Just an update, got the new correct 9mm extractor installed went to the range shot 200 rounds with no issues at all with original magazines.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:38 PM

I'm just a 1 year old with guns,
but i'm surprised with Remington installing wrong extractors and not catching this with final inspection if they would just shoot 1 mag they would have seen the issue and had 1 more happy customer. anyway i am happy now i really like they way this thing shoots this is my first 1911
Old 12-27-2016, 04:52 PM

It's too bad that they let things like this slip through. Being someone with the means and desire to resolve issues on my own it wasn't a big deal to me, but what of the masses that have purchased their products that aren't willing to tear a new gun apart in order to fix the problem. All they know is that their new gun won't run and they now view all Remington's products as crap.

FYI ... Remington CS reimbursed me for the cost of the Wilson extractor that I put in my gun.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:22 PM

This is great info to know. I'd really like to get this 9mm version. That's good to hear that their customer service took care of you too. I've never disassembled one far enough to take the extractor out, but I'd definitely like to learn.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 AM

Remington is a great company to deal with and they would have made it right. However I would have just fixed it myself to by checking and replacing the extractor. Too many things can go wrong shipping things these days.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter606 View Post
Remington is a great company to deal with and they would have made it right. However I would have just fixed it myself to by checking and replacing the extractor. Too many things can go wrong shipping things these days.
That's what I did. Picked up a 9mm R1 Enhanced in December. It had the 45 ACP extractor too. It was spitting cases every which way and stove piping now and then. I had a spare 38 Super/9mm. Installed it and no further issues with ejection.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:01 AM

a customer of mine had some issues with one and I just tuned the extractor and polished the feed ramp and barrel throat and it helped the feeding issues.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 AM

I know this thread is a few months old but I just got off the phone to Remington CS. I was told they would ship me a new extractor over a week ago. No extractor so I called back. I was told that the extractor would ship today. I asked why it didn't ship last week when promised. I was told that they had mixed up all the 45 and 9mm extractors and had to sit down and sort them out by hand. Now that they have them sorted they will ship mine. This is not good nor even lousy Customer Service. They sent me a gun with an ejector falling out because the retaining pin was too short. That took me a couple boxes of ammo to find. I had to fix it on my own. Then I finally find the extractor issue. They shipped a 9mm pistol with a 45 extractor. That took another few boxes of ammo to figure out. Then they tell me they mixed the 45 and 9mm extractors together and that's why they were delayed shipping the correct part. This is just plain sorry. I paid for a higher end model and got a pieced together pistol that should have never left the factory. I then had to diagnose and fix it myself. This is pitiful. It will be my last Remington gun or ammo.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:39 PM

I'm thankful you guys posted this. I got an R1 "Enhanced" in 9mm a few months back, and have been disappointed by the poor extraction and random brass directions (forehead now and then). It has stovepiped and FTE'd several times, and I shoot good ammo. I stopped shooting it in favor of my BHPs for awhile and hadn't gotten around to taking it back to the store. After reading this I went and checked; sure enough it's a double-hump extractor. I just wrote to Remington's CS and we'll see how long this takes. I also ordered an Ed Brown one from Brownells, that will surely beat the one from Remington to my door. I agree with previous posters that this is inexcusable for a $900 gun. They should have issued a recall, if my life depended on this thing I'd have been screwed at some point, and directly associated with a clear error they must be aware of by now.

I have to wonder if they shipped ANY with the right extractors?

[[IMG]IMG_20170320_000810 by Mark, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-22-2017, 08:43 PM

Ironically enough, I have the same exact extractor in the brand new R1 Enhanced 9mm I just bought. Got off the phone with Remington CS after having emailed them pictures, and they told me because it has the line on the inboard side, it is their 9mm extractor. Call me crazy, but it doesn't look like any series 80 9mm extractor I have ever seen. It does look an awful lot like a 45 ACP extractor though. The guy berated me for mentioning the issues you folks have seen, and belittled me for trusting the words of "some forum post" over his. Looks like I'm SOL on getting an extractor from them unless I pay the 35 bucks plus shipping and handling. Was told they're on back order anyways. Might as well just buy the Wilson Combat extractor and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited by MattyZ28; 03-22-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 PM

Interesting. I got a completely opposite response. I hadn't heard back from my e-mail so I called last week. The CS guy told me they're over 1,000 emails in the red on responding, I assume a result of their layoffs. In any event he did not dispute my assertion that the extractor is wrong, and promised to send me one. I already got the one I ordered off of Brownells and installed it yesterday, hopefully I will get it to the range this week and see how it does. It cycles perfectly with dummy ammo by hand.

Sorry to hear your response from them, that's disconcerting. Maybe finding out they installed the wrong extractor in several thousand guns is putting them off? I personally wouldn't have known or cared if it had worked....which it didn't.

It was a good experience to learn how to install and adjust the new one on the Wilson site though. Made it easy, if tedious.

Last edited by Mtyp2501; 03-26-2017 at 01:35 PM.