1911Forum banner

red dot mounted R1

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ClayD 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up a new Remington R1 on Tue. and shot it the next day, accuracy was outstanding other then shooting 13 inches low at 25 yards. On Thur. I mounted a Clark 1911 mount on the slide and installed a 11 Lb. recoil spring to handle the 200 grain semi wadcutters that I use in my Clark and Madore 1911's When I get a chance in the near future the R1 will converted to a series 70 trigger.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
didn't know you could mount a dot to the slide of a 1911 like that. Would have thought that recoil would destroy the dot, as well as wreaking all sorts of havoc on the gun itself. All the other mounts I've ever seen have some sort of bracket that is drilled/tapped to the frame.

#6 ·
I also own and shoot a early Clark built 1911 with a slide mounted ultra dot with countless number of round through it. Nothing flies apart, your only shooting 4 grains of bullseye with a 200 grain bullet. The ultra dot is currently being used on a High Standard 103.

Attachments

#7 ·
After removing the the factory 80 series safety parts and installing a new trigger, disconnector, S7 sear and sear spring then setting the pull weight at 3 lb. I shot some groups this morning. All my loads were shot with 4 gr. of bullseye, the 5 shot target on the left was around 1.3" inch, the other 2 targets were 10 shot groups just under 2" inch. All targets were shot at 25 yards and I am well satisified with this 1911.

#8 ·
These are the parts that must be removed in order to do away with the 80 series safety. a 1/16" thick washer approximately 1/4" in diameter with a
.112 hole in it will have to go back in along the right side of the sear to take up side play since the 80 series linkage has been removed.

Attachments

#9 ·
Brownells sells a plate made just for that purpose that will fill the space in the frame that is left from removing the parts. I put one in a Series 80 Gold Cup after I removed all the same parts you did and it works great. Sear and hammer pins hold it in place. Costs about $5 and is just the size needed. I polished the side where sear and hammer contact the piece.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.