View Poll Results: Did you have problems with your kimber
No problems 220 68.11%
Some Problems but resolved 75 23.22%
Problems and never resolved 31 9.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:31 PM

Kimber reputation

First i want to say i am kinda new to these forums so sorry if i get a few details wrong but after looking through these forums it seems that alot of people are badmouthing kimber, saying not to buy one they all have problems ect and if you just read these forums you would probably think that every kimber has problems.

yes some kimbers have problems the same as any manufacture has some bad eggs, which is why that have customer service. and from the posts ive read kimber produces more 1911s then most others combined. also the fact that they only produce 1911s (with the exception of the solo). therefore there will be more faulty guns out there but probably the same percentage as any other manufactures. the problem is not every person that owns a flawless gun comes on a forum and talks about it. but most that have problems do. therefore it appears that that manufacture is crap. but every company has bad eggs ive read stories of smith, springfield everything.

this happens with many other manufactures/ gun types. such as Glocks going KAboom. most of this is just because there are so many of these guns out there that of course you are going to hear about the problems. when in all reality if a certain company had sooo many problems im pretty sure that they wouldn't still be producing guns anymore.

ive got 2 kimbers on order at the moment and even after reading all these problems im not canceling my order. i understand that i might get a faulty one and thats the chance you take when you buy anything.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:44 PM

3 Kimbers.....no problems.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 PM

Kimber makes a fine pistol. As you said, any manufacturer will have guns that require adjustment. I also agree that an individual is much more likely to post about a problem than a gun that functions flawlessly. Many posts are of a minor nature and a call to Kimber Tech Support can resolve quickly. If a more serious issue is involved, Kimber is excellent about having the gun returned to them for repair at their expense. I own serveral Kimbers, a Les Baer, and a Wilson. All are excellent and I would not sell any of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 08:06 PM

State Farm is the largest writer of personal lines insurance. Not surprisingly they get the most complaints.

Kimber is the largest manufacturer of 1911 pistols and it's not surprising that they get the largest number of complaints.

Kimber Super Match
Springfield Operator
Sig P320 SC
Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 PM

Stainless Pro Carry II....no problems.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterinpa View Post
...........this could get interesting!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .41mag_Happy View Post
...........this could get interesting!
LMAO.... get the stick and beat that dead horse some more.....

Buy your Kimbers tune 'em up if needed.... quit reading all the *****...

Last edited by dsk; 08-27-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: language
Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 PM

Raptor II, no problems and it shoots great.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Stainless Pro Raptor II with 900 rounds and NO problems - love it.
Jack
Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 PM

I have owned 3 Kimbers (Ultra CDP II, SIS Pro (twice), and Tactical Pro). Series I and II. Nary a problem with any of them. The only one I still own is the SIS Pro (addicted to trading almost as much as shooting ), and I feel it's one of the best production pistols ever made. Mine is stupid accurate and reliable. Only issue I've ever had with it had more to do with my reloads than the gun, but I also swapped out the springs in it before I ever fired a shot. Putting a 4# C&S trigger group in it has made it a nearly perfect gun (for me). That said, outside of hating aluminum frames, Kimber makes one of the best production 1911s out there. Most are very accurate, with wonderful tolerances. If nothing else, you'll have an outstanding platform for customizing, should you want to. Only negative I have is their Kimpro II finish...it doesn't hold up for ****. When I can save the money, I'm sending my SIS off to have it NP3 finished.

Kahr DLC K9, Springfield AK TRP, Kimber SIS Pro.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Gold Match II, made 2002, bought used a few months ago. Have shot 6 brands of ammo through it, from hardball to SD ammo. NEVER a single hiccup over about 1K rounds.

Only 3 handguns that have never failed to fire with any type of ammo are this GM II, a Sig SS 232 and a Beretta 92.

Plus, I called Kimber for some advice on the trigger overtravel adjustment and date of mfg. and they were VERY helpful with some other tips too.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Kimber's

I've owned 3, still have two of them. An SIS Custom and a Desert Warrior. Never had an issue with either of them or the one I sold (was Tactical Pro II, prefer full size). Great shooting guns!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigggbbruce View Post
lmao.... Get the stick and beat that dead horse some more.....

Buy your kimbers tune 'em up if needed.... Quit reading all the *****...
quoted for the ***** tr00f!!!!

Last edited by dsk; 08-27-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: language
Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 PM

If my Super Carry Pro is any indication as to what's coming out of Kimber these days, their quality has only improved through the years. No problems in over 800 rds. Slide to frame fit is excellent. Trigger pull is excellent. POA/POI is excellent. Accuracy is excellent.

Kimber makes some very fine 1911's. I am amazed at the accuracy of their Pro line however. If anyone has the 4" bull barrel, no bushing design down, you must give credit where credit is due to Kimber.

For me that accuracy, the nicely fitted parts, great feel in hand, and reliability of the aluminum frame 4" SC Pro is just about the sweetest, most perfect carry 1911 ever devised.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangelhim View Post
quoted for the ***** tr00f!!!!
Watch the language - that's a quick way to get banned

Last edited by dsk; 08-27-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Edited OP's language
Old 08-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Looks like at least a couple of you guys need to watch your language.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterinpa View Post
Same here, multiple Kimbers, no problems
Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 PM

3 Kimbers
1 had issues and had to be sent back.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Kimber is at the top (and has been) of the heap of the production 1911 market because they produce a quality product at a reasonable price-point. Anyone who says otherwise (e.g. all the money they spend on advertising, et al) is ignoring the facts of free-market capitalism: You simply don't sell as many 1911's as Kimber does, nor do it for as long they've been doing it, without having a quality product; it just doesn't happen. Period.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
Kimber is at the top (and has been) of the heap of the production 1911 market because they produce a quality product at a reasonable price-point. Anyone who says otherwise (e.g. all the money they spend on advertising, et al) is ignoring the facts of free-market capitalism: You simply don't sell as many 1911's as Kimber does, nor do it for as long they've been doing it, without having a quality product; it just doesn't happen. Period.
Very well said.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabzz613 View Post
the fact that they only produce 1911s (with the exception of the solo).
They also make rifles & shotguns as well as non-leathal stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabzz613 View Post
i understand that i might get a faulty one and thats the chance you take when you buy anything.
This is true, but this is where the companies rep for CS comes into play & a good follow-up poll might be suggested. CS was lacking with my issues for 2 of my 3 Kimbers.

YMMV
Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 PM

Kimber Stainless TLE/RL II with over 1200 rounds through it. The only recent problems I've had with it is when I used faulty CMC 10 round mags in it. It would intermittently fail to feed the initial round and it would also stove pipe 1-2 times through each mag shot. As long as I stick to my WC mags, it works beautifully. It's one of my favorite 1911's I own.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigggbbruce View Post
LMAO.... get the stick and beat that dead horse some more.....

Buy your Kimbers tune 'em up if needed.... quit reading all the *****...
Didn't think BS was all that offensive... heck we shoot guns don't we..? Children don't buy guns ...or join the site....
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 PM

Kimber Tactical

No problems with the weapon and it shoots like a dream. I could not be more happy with Kimber and their products.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 PM

We have about 15 Kimbers in the family. I bought my first one years ago after going the full custom 1911 route several times. Kimber provided a lot of standard features that I paid extra for on many guns. I haven't had any problems with a dozen 1911's. My Solo had issues that were resolved. Kimber is a quality manufacturer. Period. They will have something slip through QA that needs attention on occasion. Every manufacturer does. The test is how they deal with the complaint and interact with the customer to provide a satisfactory solution. From first hand experience, I can report Kimber will make every attempt to rectify any actual or perceived manufacturing deficiency. It's what you paid for, and what you can expect. There's still a few guns from Kimber that are still on my "need to buy" list.

If you don't like what you bought, there's always another shooter who will be happy to take it off your hands for a fair price. Enjoy the new guns!
Closed Thread