1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM

The Taurus 1911 challenge!

There are alot of people out there always bashing and trashing the Taurus PT-1911. Kimber owners, WC owners, Colt owner, SA owners and the list goes on. Well I'm going put up a challenge to all those trashers & bashers that my Taurus 1911 will shoot just as accruately if not better and perform head to head with the other high end overpriced 1911's. I owner a Kimber Ultra II, SA loaded & WC QCB and I will tell you what. The Taurus is on par with all of them. Yes, I was a fool and spent alot of money of the high end brands so I can say I own a Kimber or WC. If I could do it all over again I would just buy the Taurus and with the money I save buy tons of ammo and have fun shooting. I trust the Taurus with my life and will take it in a gun fight any day without hesitation. So who's up for it? I think the Taurus is ready to open a can of WHOOP ASS on the other 1911's!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Kool show a picture of a 25 yard 5 shot target, lets see how well you and your Taurus shoots.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator

How do you propose we have this competition? Here's my entry.

The gun that did this has yet to jam, and I've had it 11 years. I shot the 2000 Area 6 match with it, with no misses and without making up any shots.
It went over 600 rds before its first cleaning.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM

I gleefully await an answer to that from the op.
im sure the taurus can outshoot the TRS. oh, yeah.....
Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 PM

Tim Burke, Awesome......I got to get one

1911lawman, Here's a meaningful challenge for yourself.........Back up to 50 yards, shoot from a bench, and shoot them all........ I think you may learn something and you won't have to question any results.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM

To each their own.

I don't have the slightest problem with the Taurus 1911, nor does my purchasing a Kimber, Springfield, etc. make me a fool.

If one were to buy the Taurus and use left over monies for ammo - God bless, you could do a lot worse.

In my opinion, given modern pistols in good shape, the accuracy is probably up to the shooter and practice. I've had my a$$ handed to me by well practiced shooters with some ugly guns and come out ahead of some others with beautiful pistols.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 PM

i own a kimber and a taurus 1911. yes the taurus goes bang every time, but it is NOT as accurate as my kimber, it's trigger isn't as nice and the finish on the taurus sucks in a bad way. but for the money, it is a wonderful buy and very reliable
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post

The gun that did this has yet to jam, and I've had it 11 years. I shot the 2000 Area 6 match with it, with no misses and without making up any shots.
Hey Tim,

How did you remove the powder burns from the paper??
Just kidding, that's a truly beautiful grouping!

Lawman you might want to check out this thread, we had a little shootout done by one of the mods over in the Dan Wesson forum with 9 guns evaluated, 2 DWs,1 Ed Brown, 1 Les Baer, 2 Fusions, 1 Colt, 1 Sig and 1 Kimber. Just some food for thought and a great set up for how to do a nice accuracy test.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255555
Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

I find it funny how all the new members come in here and proclaim that people that don't buy RIA or Taurus are overpaying and "stupid" essentially.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 AM

1911lawman,

I’m glad you like your Taurus and hope it continues to be a good gun for you. I also hope as you spend more time on the forum you will get a better understanding of what makes a nice 1911, and it’s not getting lucky enough to get a Taurus that runs and doesn’t have parts fall off. When you buy a $500 1911 you get what you pay for and to say it is on par with a Wilson directly reflects on the credibility of your posts.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
the reliability info. I'm far more interested in that than long range groups.
I am too, actually. I like that it is so accurate, but I can't shoot consistently anywhere near to the gun's potential. I can on occasion, though.

Even though I can't shoot up to the gun's potential, I KNOW, beyond any reasonable doubt, that any miss is related to my technique, and not the gun. I think this is a good thing, because it prevents me from making excuses.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post

Nice shooting Tim!

http://1911enthusiast.com/showthread...ssional-PC9111
Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned

I think he realized the stupidity of his claim and won't be revisiting his fine trolling masterpiece of a post.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911lawman View Post
..... I owner a Kimber Ultra II, SA loaded & WC QCB and I will tell you what. The Taurus is on par with all of them.....

Not quite sure what you meant... but I assume that you meant to say you owned... and WC - cqb... which kinda contradicts your previous admission... in this thread...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255717

Why do anyone have the need to say how great their low dollar guns are and everyone else who spends thousands are wasting their money.. if you like it enjoy it that is all that matters...

BTW - Tim sweet target.. a gun that shoots that good should be passed on to the next generation...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM

i own a taurus 1911 that i like very much. i also own a number of springfields and colt 1911's which i like very much. i am not a match shooter, i don't shoot competitions, i'm not a leo, nor am i in the military. i'm just an average joe that likes his guns and likes to shoot when i can find ammo. i keep all my guns fairly clean, i don't torture test or purposly abuse my firearms. i can usually hit what i aim at on a good day.

now as you can see i am not an expert but i have shot more guns than i can remember and more rounds than is good for my hearing over the years. i base my opinions on what i like, on how it works for me and fits into whatever perceived purpose i think i need.

my taurus 1911 is a stainless version because i was not impressed with the finish on the blue models. i also read that the finish was thin and wore easily. is that true or bs? i don't know because i have the stainless model. my taurus is completly out of the box stock. one reason i bought the taurus is because it came with so many standard features that are options on other guns, and at a reasonable price. i do not plan on changing anything but the grips when i find something i like. i have added a couple of chip mcormick mags that i like alot. the straight eight sights have worked well for me right out of the box. i believe the people that have trouble with those sights just don't know how to use them.

how does it shoot? the taurus shoots as well or better than my colt or springfields. i have not had a single failure to feed, fire or eject with the taurus to date, not even thru break in, something i can't claim with my other 1911's. i can hit what i aim at and the groups seem to be tight, at least for me.

would i boldly claim the taurus is better than other high dollar or custom 1911's....no. would i challange someone to a shooting contest.....no. too many variables with guns and even more with shooters. i will say i am confident enough in my taurus to bet my life in it if i ever needed to defend myself and i'll let the coroner measure the groups after.

Last edited by DALEGRIBBLE; 01-13-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEGRIBBLE View Post

i also read that the finish was thin and wore easily. is that true or bs?

truth, the finish on mine is so thin that in bright sunlight I can see right through it and scratches very easily.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimusindi View Post
a gun that shoots that good should be passed on to the next generation...
Actually, the way my son's skills are developing, he may someday actually be able to shoot to the gun's potential.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 PM

Damn.

I hate it when I, "spend a lot of money on the high end brands just to say I own Baers and Wilson Combats."

I like when I spent lots of money on Baers and Wilsons to shoot the hell out of them.

Active Duty Community Organizer, Philanthropist
Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 PM

I can't even believe I am wading into this mess....

But here goes.....

I have had some experience with a whole bunch of Taurus 1911s. All at once. I am sure on the day they were bought new, they all shot and reasonably hit their targets.

But after some mileage, these pieces of junk were literally falling apart on the range. LITERALLY.

What's my point you ask? Just another guy bashing Taurus. Well I am not.

Here is why. What people who post these "mine goes bang every time" threads fail to realize is that not all members of this forum are equal. And their lives aren't equal and their use levels aren't equal. I am sure the guy who posts MGBET (Mine Goes Bang Every time) threads is being honest. A guy who shoots 500 or 1000 rounds a year is tickled pink with the MGBET pistol. Because it does.

But there are members on this forum who easily shoot 5000-15,000 rounds a year through a weapon. At these levels of use, function talks and bovine scathology walks.

One user isn't better than another, but his perspective is. A "shooter" may shoot more in a year than most "gun-guys" shoot in a lifetime.

Again my point?

On average these Taurus' weren't anywhere near the 5,000 round mark yet they were falling like skirts on prom-night. A guy who is lucky to shoot 500 rounds in a year, no biggie. It is a MGBET pistol. For the guy who shoots 500 rounds in a day, Taurus is a big piece of crap.

But you know what smug non-Taurus owners? Chances are a 3rd of you also carry and praise a pistol that is a big piece of crap. It's amazing how many of them there are.

Regards,
Greyson

Last edited by Greyson; 01-13-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 PM

Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
I find it funny how all the new members come in here and proclaim that people that don't buy RIA or Taurus are overpaying and "stupid" essentially.
Really I'm fairly new here and I don't ever remember proclaiming anyone is stupid or over-paying for not buying RIA/Taurus???

Before you start making broad generalities about folks check yourself 1st.

But then again I don't make it a habit like a certain few do who enjoy hanging out looking for any oppurtunity to be snide about Taurus or Armscor firearms

To the OP, no offense but that was a pretty ignorant post to put up.

Regards,
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
For Greyson

++++1

Regards,
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Old 01-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Dive... the only thing I have ever said is that with RIA's and Taurus's the high end smiths won't work on em because they aren't there to "rebuild a 1911 from scratch" but to modify them. I own a RIA and I like it for what it is. It doesn't compare to my other guns, nor have I ever shot it as much as I have my other 1911's. You are the one that gets all riled up when I post that stuff. Not me.

And here is the part of the post you must have missed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911lawman View Post
There are alot of people out there always bashing and trashing the Taurus PT-1911. Kimber owners, WC owners, Colt owner, SA owners and the list goes on. Well I'm going put up a challenge to all those trashers & bashers that my Taurus 1911 will shoot just as accruately if not better and perform head to head with the other high end overpriced 1911's.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Dive... the only thing I have ever said is that with RIA's and Taurus's the high end smiths won't work on em because they aren't there to "rebuild a 1911 from scratch" but to modify them. I own a RIA and I like it for what it is. It doesn't compare to my other guns, nor have I ever shot it as much as I have my other 1911's. You are the one that gets all riled up when I post that stuff. Not me.

And here is the part of the post you must have missed.
Tell you what slick

A. When you make broad generalities when talking out your 4th point of contact then yes I get "riled" up and will call you on them.

B. If you don't like being called out as I and others have done in the past then maybe thinking before posting would be a good technique for you. Bottom line, if the shoe fits about "snide" posts then feel free to wear it.

C. Anything further you wish to discuss about this with me then feel free to PM. I would be glad to "talk" to you in private about this and other comments you have made in the past. This way the thread stays civil and does not get locked out.

D. If you haven't noticed yet I make no bones about standing my ground on what I believe. Again feel free to PM as what I would say to you needs to stay private.

Good day,
Old 01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

So I am wrong even though it is true? That makes no sense.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
So I am wrong even though it is true? That makes no sense.
Maybe you should PM Dive, and ask the same question. ???
Get the U.S. out of the U.N.
Closed Thread