1911Forum banner

Who needs a gun at a courthouse?

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  WalterGC 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Backstory:
The shooter has a history of DUI and weapons violations. In 2005 his brother - who had just beaten his own grandfather to death - fired on a Tulsa policeman who was approaching his car. The policeman returned fire and killed him. Another case of Go-Down-In-A-Blaze-Of-Glory-With-Suicide-by-Cop? Or just bad genes?

#4 ·
People cant have guns outside a court house?

I read about shootings outside court houses often. Many shoot themself.

#5 ·
Sure you can have a gun outside the courthouse. The question is, what are you doing at the courthouse when you are there?

If you are conducting business at the courthouse you cannot bring the gun inside so you won't have a gun inside or outside the courthouse.

If you are outside the courthouse with a gun, you obviously aren't going inside to conduct any business.

So, what are you doing there?

#14 ·
Walter, just curious how you reached that conclusion. OCGA 16-11-127 specifically prohibits carrying in a courthouse, and in general carrying in any government building....

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127
Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(2) "Courthouse" means a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held.

(3) "Government building" means:

(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;

(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or

(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.​

(4) "Government entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.​

(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:

(1) In a government building;

(2) In a courthouse;​
How do you read that to conclude concealed carry is legal in a courthouse in GA?

#15 ·
My opinion is that any law abiding citizen should be able to carry anywhere, including government buildings, and schools.
It has been proven over and over that criminals would rather pull their crap on unarmed sheep, than try their **** if they think they may have to deal with armed retaliation!

#20 ·
I enter out courthouse for a number of reasons. As previously mentioned, I was most recently filing a petition with the Clerk of Superior Court. Also pay my county taxes at the courthouse; renew my Georgia Weapons License @ the courthouse and sometimes vote @ the courthouse. IF our local Superior Court Judge is in the courthouse, I might stop by his chambers for a social visit.

Unless I'm in the courtroom, I'm carrying. I also carry when visiting out local p.d. and sheriff's office. I'm sure all those guys know that I'm carrying, and it's not an issue with them.

#23 · (Edited)
Just did a quick search, and am now also of the opinion that carrying in the courthouse is prohibited. Will pass that info along to the now-retired Clerk of Superior Court who gave me what appears to have been erroneous info. No more courthouse carry for me. I'll also mention to the local sheriff that the sign on the door of the courthouse is confusing, in that it doesn't say, "no weapons allowed in courthouse,", but "no weapons allowed in court room."

Several years ago, in the courthouse of an adjacent county, I met the Judge of Superior Court in his office and installed a 3.5# connector in his G22 for him. Had a couple of other unloaded Glocks in my range bag during the visit. I guess hizzhonor didn't think that my bringing firearms into that courthouse for the purpose of working on his Glock was out-of-order! ;)

#27 ·
http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/brian_nichols.htm

This miscreant rapist,in a Georgia courthouse,killed the judge,a court reporter,and an officer right in front of God and everybody.

I guess it costs so much to complete the death penalty nowdays that this scum is being fed and educated at taxpayer expense;and,probably will be for the rest of his life.

Walter,there is nothing I can say here on the forum about your actions and mis-information. Unbelievable.

#28 ·
Maybe you didn't read my most previous, edited post? I agree that it's illegal to carry in a courthouse in GA. I was misinformed by our former Clerk of Superior Court. Adding to the confusion are the signs (probably put up by that clerk) that say "No weapons allowed in court room." That's on the entrance doors to the courthouse.

Thanks for your input. So far, I have no criminal record and will most likely keep things that way. ;) The only time I've ever knowingly broken a firearms law was when I left a loaded G21 in my then-18-yr-old's vehicle. He was making trips back-and-forth to visit his mother in Atlanta, and I had to weigh the possibility of his having his vehicle searched and his being charged for having the firearm vs. the possibility that he'd be attacked by uncivilized savage DemocRATs on one of his Atlanta trips. His mother lives in a heavily-DemocRATic area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.