Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Administrator

US Air Marshal leaves gun in airplane lavatory

Its not like the first time this has happened. How these supposedly well-trained professionals whom we must entrust our lives to can't even tell when they're not wearing their piece just blows the mind.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-...3Zb?li=BBnbfcL
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Its not like the first time this has happened. How these supposedly well-trained professionals whom we must entrust our lives to can't even tell when they're not wearing their piece just blows the mind.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-...3Zb?li=BBnbfcL

I'm always amused by the mantra that "Only Trained Police And The Military Should Have Firearms" and the belief that everyone else is too ignorant, ill-trained, etc. etc. etc.

This is one more proof of the fallacy of that argument.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:03 PM

Good Lord...the level of incompetence and stupidity is staggering.

She was reassigned to another flight after that incident? She should spend 30 days in jail for that. SMH

Last edited by ACPete; 04-20-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM

Maybe his eyes were watering and he couldn't see it
How does someone forget a gun when it's 90%(or whatever)of their job?
Paid leave now?

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM

There's also this one regarding a California police officer forgetting her gun in her carry on and it passing thru TSA. She turned it and herself into Taiwanese police during her layover on way to Thailand. Doh!

http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-n...her-bag-at-lax

And this pilot who also somehow got his gun past TSA in his carry on.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...-carry-on.html

Both claim forgetfulness? Idiots.

Not only did the female air Marshall leave/lose her gun in the bathroom but she didn't even report that for several days afterward per the article. So she lost her gun and never said anything for days? Good grief.
COTEP#782

Last edited by 7.62Kolectr; 04-20-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 PM

Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 PM

"But the marshal, who is based in the New York region, failed to report the incident to her superiors, as required by agency policy, until several days later."

The FAM not only violated their policy by leaving the weapon unattended, she also violated TSA policy by failing to immediately report the incident. This indicates that this particular FAM is intentionally derelict in performing her duties.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 PM

I think that she was hoping no one would report her. Then when it looked like she got reported, she came clean and turned her report in.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 PM

I've never understood how this happens. But a friend of mine did the same thing only in a dressing room while trying on clothes at a large department store. Luckily when he noticed & went back for it, a responsible adult had found it & was on the way to turn it in. I guess my friend looked like "he lost his gun" when the guy saw him. It was returned to him without filing any reports.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 PM

Perfectly good reason to carry a steel 1911. Because when I take it off and set it on back of toilet (if I do) when I stand back up the weight loss is immediately apparent and an instant reminder that something's missing.
COTEP#782
Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 PM

And let's not forget that Einstein was soooo stupid he was known to forget to tie his shoes.

"...when it's 90%(or whatever)of their job?" Not even close, keeping up with memos (due to DA findings or other things that may even be politically motivated​) that change how you do your job and going home in 1 piece is a much bigger part. To many the gun is just something you get issued (and is part of the uniform), the job is everything else.

Last edited by 1911A2; 04-21-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Whether it's just "a part of the uniform" or not, an Air Marshal should be aware of how dangerous it is to lose track of a loaded handgun inside a crowded airplane at 38,000 feet. As the article said, the danger now is that opponents of the Air Marshal program in Congress are likely to use this incident as yet another example of how it's too risky to allow armed individuals on a commercial airliner no matter who they are.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 AM

Everyone that carries, or has guns placed in their homes should have total awareness of their location, and who might be in the home. Forgetfulness is no excuse when it's your responsibility for any weapon.
At 9/11 we had only 25 FAMs +/-. There were thousands deleted during the Clinton administration. It could happen again, whenever congress is in session.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Not only did the female air Marshall leave/lose her gun in the bathroom but she didn't even report that for several days afterward per the article. So she lost her gun and never said anything for days? Good grief.
Sleep deprivation for sure! Imagine if it was used in a crime where murder was involved. Damn...guard your gun and your gun guards you.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM

She should be placed in jail along with the "professionals" who "trained" her. There is absolutely no excuse for leaving your sidearm in a head.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM

this seems to be SOP for these jerks.good thing an ilegale did not find it and shoot some girl in the head.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Whether it's just "a part of the uniform" or not, an Air Marshal should be aware of how dangerous it is to lose track of a loaded handgun inside a crowded airplane at 38,000 feet.
This. There is never a good excuse for losing track of your loaded firearm...ever.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtmini14 View Post
this seems to be SOP for these jerks.good thing an ilegale did not find it and shoot some girl in the head.
So if it was somebody who was legal it would be Ok for them to find it and kill somebody or is it that you think only illegals are the only ones who commit crimes? Either way I find your thinking on this to be just a bit flawed.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 AM

I kinda know when a loaded 1911 is not on my hip anymore.. i've dropped some bombs in the lavs but never felt that light after
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 AM

I still dont understand why anyone takes their gun off in the lavatory, but I dont know what method of carry SHE was using lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 AM

Maybe she just wanted to shoot the _ _ _ _ .
Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 AM

Don't forget about the hyperactive 6 Yo that is big enough to use the plane's facilities by himself and finds the handgun.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Well, use of the facilities by a female, unless she is just washing her face, does require the dropping of trou. It can be inconvenient, unless wearing a shoulder holster to keep the gun attached. So, you take it off. Now, what to do with it? Airplane lav does not have very much room or convenient shelf space. Maybe set it on/in the sink or on the floor. I can see forgetting it, the typical clip-on holster, be it IWB or OWB will still present some degree of discomfort, weapon present or not. Sure, she was negligent in not retrieving her weapon but I could see it happening.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

It's more common than one would think. A few years ago, a female sheriff deputy left her whole gun belt (fully equipped with the loaded glock) in the bathroom of a courthouse here where I live.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM

If she can't even notice she left her gun in that tiny room, what happens when a real situation arises where she has to step in? Scary stuff...
Closed Thread