What's it worth? 100 yo 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 PM

What's it worth? 100 yo 1911

I purchased this gun from a friend a couple years ago. It was given to him by an old retired military Dr in the mid 1990's who was retiring and moving away. The Dr had it in an old shaving kit disassembled and said he couldn't figure out how to put it back together so he gave it to my friend. The Dr was in his mid 80's and had pictures of himself dressed in his military uniform and my friend said he wore a sword in the pics which he thought was very cool. I work at a prison as an armorer and took this gun to a armour class where the instructor oiled/cleaned it up, assembled it and then told me it was a very cool gun and then said I'll give you a $1000 for it. He said he owned over 1000 guns and wanted to add this one to his collection. I told him I was going to hold on to it for now as I haven't owned​ a 1911 in 30 years. So what's it worth guys? He said it's 100 years old but in great working condition with the correct amount of wear. Hope I can figure out how to post a pic, thanks in advance for your input and comments.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Somewhere between $350 and $80,000. And no I'm not being a smartass. If you want to narrow it down somewhat we need to see pictures and get a better description of its condition and if the parts are matching.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 PM

Here it is.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 PM

Close up detailed pics of serial number, proof marks and or any stamps on it.
Close up pics of barrel out of the gun showing stamps on it too.
Please.

The one you posted is too blurry to see anything.
COTEP#782
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 PM

Other side.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Here's the serial number.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Early 1918 Colt. Looks like the receiver is damaged at the mag catch where the lock apparently broke through. It also looks to me like somebody tried to cold blue it at some point. I'm roughly estimating it as worth about what your armorer friend offered for it, assuming the damage to the receiver isn't as bad as it looks.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:50 AM

Good info. The 75 yo gentleman that offered me $1000 then quickly offered me $2000 after I said no lol. He use to work for the FBI, ATF, and owned over 100 1911's as he is a gun collector. The gun had a lot of surface rust when I got it on the frame, slide, barrel, magazine, and had several old bullets with it too. There was also a newer barrel in the shaving kit and this is the one that's in the gun now. The other barrel had a lot of rust inside the barrel but cleaned up ok considering it's age but since the newer barrel was there he installed it just in case I wanted to shoot it, which I do but I don't want to hurt it value if shooting it will do that. It doesn't look like it's ever been refinished and I can't see any physical damage. I ask the old armour that put it back together if it had any damage other than normal wear. He said it was in good shape considering it's age and use.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 AM

The finish looks correct other then there may have been some attempted touchup under the SN on the frame. 2K is a price, if I didn't want it, I'd sell it in a heartbeat, especially with the frame damage.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Good feedback fxntime. I've got the gun under a light with a magnifying glass trying to find the damage mentioned but for the life of me I can't find any. It does have a scratch about 1/4' below the serial # but the frame is not cracked,,, but you sure had me looking lol. I've had a bunch of fun telling the story about this WW11 vet and his gun he stored in a shaving kit and how he gave it to my friend.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 AM
1911 Aficionado

The apparent damage is visible in post 6; what looks like a piece of the frame missing or damaged where the magazine catch lock retains the mag catch.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Not being real familiar with the 1911 I overlooked the obvious. I assume this is the spot you're talking about.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Maybe an old soldier filed that spot down. Adds to the character of the gun lol.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorjaw View Post
Not being real familiar with the 1911 I overlooked the obvious. I assume this is the spot you're talking about.

Let's play find the difference, shall we?
Attached Thumbnails
ebfe3b0a703c0c4ea78bae6fecd7a151.jpg   1911_446933e.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 PM

Yes I'm a dummy lol. Looks like someone smoothed that edge off, old battle scar. I appreciate all the comments and info, thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Administrator

We're talking about this area which I just circled:
Attached Thumbnails
ebfe3b0a703c0c4ea78bae6fecd7a151.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 PM

That is beautiful!!!!
Was able to shoot a friend's 1911 from 1942 the other day... Man!
Great to feel a piece of wold history in your hands!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 AM

Got it! Thank you so much for that little red circle. Can't comment on this spot as I have no idea what might have caused that. It functions fine, if only this gun could talk.