Best 9mm ammo for the buck - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM

Best 9mm ammo for the buck

I have 3 1911's all 45acp but clueless about 9mm ammo.
I ordered a Wilson EDC x9 and probably looking at a 6 month + wait.
Looking to stock up with the best ammo for the buck. Any suggestions ??
Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Depends on what you mean by best and your application. If you mean best performing for serious work I tend to like Federal (classic, hydrashock, HST) followed by Winchester Ranger, if you mean cheapest I tend to like Blazer Brass. But really you just have to try different ones and see how they perform.
For cheapness I went out and bought a couple boxes of everything cheap thing I could find for my 229 match gun, put it in a ransom rest and tried it. BB 115gr showed far greater accuracy then the others and I don't worry about loosing my brass. But every gun is different, you just have to try some and decide.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:39 PM

For shooting targets I tend to like the Speer lawman 124gr. For carry use I prefer the HST 124gr. Both very reliable and accurate that tend to be cleaner ammo to shoot as well. Check out SGAmmo. I should mention Speer lawman offers the cleanfire stuff too but I never tried it.Blazer brass 124gr. would be my second choice for target ammo.Hope this helps.

Last edited by coyotetrapper; 04-20-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM

I would wait until your pistol arrives. Then buy a box or two of several brands/load and try them out. When you find one the pistol likes, then that is the time to "stock up"
Old 04-20-2017, 04:57 PM

Thanks guys
Ordered 500 rnd's of Remington UMC from Gander Mtn. (A good sale) to get started.
Good point about experimenting with everything out there as certain diets don't work for every gun.
Thanks for the heads up on the defense ammo. It probably equates to less than 1% of the ammo purchase but I'll check it out.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 05:14 PM

bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
I would wait until your pistol arrives. Then buy a box or two of several brands/load and try them out. When you find one the pistol likes, then that is the time to "stock up"
yep.
use gunbot.net wikiarms.com to find ammo deals when you stock up.
With 1911, I don't really assess until at least 300-500 rounds. Lower value if no issues, higher, if issues.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:29 PM

I shoot nearly nothing but Tul for 9mm except for the nicer guns, those sometimes get access to the small hill of S&B 9mm I stock. I have personally never had an issue with Tulammo (not wolf or bear, stay the hell away from bear) in any of my guns inculding both SCARs, all the AR-15s (Over 1500 in one sitting through my LWRC with not lube or cleaning and never once gave an issue) and almost all of the 1911s

It is great practice ammo and very accurate, it's nice to be able to shoot 2x more for most calibers and 40% more in 9mm. It's not for everyone but I have used it a lot and it has worked well for me. No odd wear on any of the guns that are fed it.

The only guns that are not fed Tul are the really really old ones that they don't make rounds for and the NHC and Wilson guns since I just can't bring myself to use it for whatever reason. I know that they would not mind but I just can't. Ironic considering I run the stuff in my HK guns that are nearly one of a kind.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotetrapper View Post
For shooting targets I tend to like the Speer lawman 124gr. For carry use I prefer the HST 124gr. Both very reliable and accurate that tend to be cleaner ammo to shoot as well. Check out SGAmmo. I should mention Speer lawman offers the cleanfire stuff too but I never tried it.Blazer brass 124gr. would be my second choice for target ammo.Hope this helps.
You can't go wrong with this..
Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 PM

For the past 20 years, I have shot Blazer aluminum with no problems. I shoot outside and don't worry about the empties. I started out at $3.86 per box and am now up to $9.99. I have shot steel, but prefer not to.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 PM

I don't usually buy anything in bulk, except reloading components. I have not bought a
case of 9mm ammo in about 15 years. I just find it best to reload all my target ammo with round nose lead, or FMJ stuff if its reasonably priced...and buy factory defense ammo 90 percent of the time. I have enough 9mm brass stocked up to use until
polar bears are walking around Phoenix!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Most of my target shooting in 9mm is with my Glock 17. I find that the Glock shoots as well with any factory ammo I've used. I have always preferred Winchester but will go with Remington or PMC sometimes. Recently I've been steering clear of Remington for some reason. I guess mainly because I get a ton of misfires with their cheaper REM 22 bullet. You get the feeling that quality assurance can't be all that with them. I've never noticed so many misfires with any other brand is my point.
I'd recommend stick with Winchester for you general use and Target. I like Hornady for personal defense and carry use. Try out Hornady on a few Targets and you'll see why.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwayne View Post
For the past 20 years, I have shot Blazer aluminum with no problems. I shoot outside and don't worry about the empties. I started out at $3.86 per box and am now up to $9.99. I have shot steel, but prefer not to.
Yeah ,this is pretty good stuff for outside practice and fun shooting.I have used the 9mm and 45ACP. I always get the sense that the 45ACP is a lot hotter that the standard UMC ,but I have never seen any chrono specs ,but there both great for the money.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 PM

Google: "lucky gunner ammo test" Select 9mm!

A great contribution to the shooting community!

Regards,
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM

define "best" for what first

self defense?
action sports shooting/range play/steel?
Precision accuracy slow fire shooting?

for action sports shooting/range play/steel shoots, I don't think there's any "bad" factory new ammo today, only finicky pistols.

Precision accuracy; you'll need the particular pistol in your hand shot from sand bags or other suitable rest at 25yrds with different ammo to determine that

Self defense; there are several top choices.
I wouldn't buy a boat load of any just yet
I wouldn't expect your new Wilson to be finicky, But there's no way to truly know til the individual specimen is in your hand

..L.T.A.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:22 PM

If you are just going to the range and want something for the range then Cabelas puts the Herter's brand 9mm on sale pretty often. it is really nice shooting ammo too. Selliers and Bellot makes it for Cabelas. It is FMJ standard load rounds, so it isn't ideal for self defense. But it would work for that purpose too.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:02 AM

Grandpas, I am in same boat recently...45 Fan-Boy, but recently got a 9mm PPQ. Undless choices and loads. I got a variety to try....Recently, the first 2 I tried, 2 ends of spectrum:

1) Ball, [email protected] AE, this stuff is so wimpy almost no recoil, even out of a plastic gun, goes "pop" instead of "bang", barley chipped a spot of white paint on steel plates and certainly didn't move the plates. I got absolutely no satisfaction shooting it. Might as well be shooting an air gun at an arcade. (This is probably the kind of load used in that video of the X9 which looked like it shot as fast as a machine gun). Some jest but a lot of truth.. :-)
2) Then I kicked it up to HST+P 147 @ 1050...Nice kick and even moved the steel plates! Should be a decent SD round,...for 9mm that is.

Last edited by combat auto; 04-21-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:13 AM

to break in my 1911s,I used 124gr ammo. many good sources, blazer brass.,federal, amer eagle, magtech.....
check out sg ammo(if they ship to your state) or targetsportsusa

I have to wait longer to get my edcx9 due to the 10 round magazine issue in my dementocrap ruined state
Old 04-21-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwayne View Post
aluminum cases can expand and get stuck in the barrel

I used it for a while. too much hassle,not enough savings. I am a brass only guy now forget the cheap steel ammo especially in a nice,expensive gun. look up how it damages extractors....over time of course. it is worth the savings? maybe for others, not for me

JMHO
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpasgotagun View Post
Thanks guys
Ordered 500 rnd's of Remington UMC from Gander Mtn. (A good sale) to get started.
Good point about experimenting with everything out there as certain diets don't work for every gun.
Thanks for the heads up on the defense ammo. It probably equates to less than 1% of the ammo purchase but I'll check it out.
Thanks
my experience is that once broken in Wilsons eat everything . I stick with a high quality 124gr. some 115 gr after break in too.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
American Eagle 124 grain ball
Considering the source, I'd go with this!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
American Eagle 124 grain ball
Thank You Sir
Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpasgotagun View Post
I have 3 1911's all 45acp but clueless about 9mm ammo.
I ordered a Wilson EDC x9 and probably looking at a 6 month + wait.
Looking to stock up with the best ammo for the buck. Any suggestions ??
Thanks
I like Federal 115 FMJ in the aluminum case. My Walmart always has it in stock.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:52 PM

Maybe in a full auto. I have shot 10's of thousands of rounds of aluminum in Sigs, Smiths, Glocks, Brownings, and RIA without any such problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
aluminum cases can expand and get stuck in the barrel

I used it for a while. too much hassle,not enough savings. I am a brass only guy now forget the cheap steel ammo especially in a nice,expensive gun. look up how it damages extractors....over time of course. it is worth the savings? maybe for others, not for me

JMHO
Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 PM

I agree with others that have recommended HST. I like it in 124g+p and 147g+p and your WC will probably like about anything.

For the range rounds I have started to move away over the years from Winchester white box and Remington UMC for quality control reasons and mainly due to the fact it has been extremely dirty. I'd rather pay a $1 more a box for something that doesn't make my firearms look as if they have been thrown down a chimney. Sig sauer makes a great 115g FMJ that shoots VERY clean and I just picked it up for $10.87/ box of 50. New Sellior Bellot ammo is very clean and reliable as well. Cleaner ammo=less cleaning time=More shooting time