Texas Rangers - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Texas Rangers

First if this isnt an appropriate topic admins please delete.

My son is graduating in May with an engineering degree, He came to me over spring break and asked what I know about the Rangers. I told him nothing but of course asked why he wanted to know. He told me he was concerned about making a difference with his life and that he was not sure he would do that by following a professional career path in his major.

I have done as a much research as I possibly can. I realize that becoming a Ranger is HIGHLY competitive and that you need to have impeccable character and abilities. He possesses all these. I also know that sometimes your best is not good enough and that he may not realize this dream and that he would need to be content with the Texas DPS career if it did not happen.

Having been in politics personally, however, I know that such dreams can sometimes be contingent on who you know.

My question is, to put it bluntly, do you need political connections in Texas to become a Ranger or is it all based solely on the merits of the applicant? We have no political connections.

Any responses would be appreciated.. please PM if you desire not to post publicly. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Popfischer,

I spent 30 minutes on a response and for some reason, this forum didn't have me logged in and it vanished. So, I will make this quick.......

It's all about your work ethic and the quality of your work product. There was a time when political appointments were made and it was a dark time for the Rangers.

Recruiting is a big part of our job and I'm happy to visit with your Son over the phone or in person. There is a lot of information about the Texas DPS, the Texas Rangers and the minimum requirements here: https://www.dps.texas.gov

I will send you my cell via PM.....
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM

Wasn't their a requirement of being a natural born Texan at one time? Or is that all just a bunch of tall tales?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 PM

They are several you tube videos that show Texas D.P.S Academy training. The training appears to be very intense. I think being a Texas Ranger would the greatest honor in law enforcement. With your son's engineering degree he would be very welcome in the F.B.I. or A.T.F.

I could only imagine how fast he could whip out a traffic homicide investigation for the D.P.S.

I wish your son luck and a great and safe career.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 PM

As fine an outfit as the Texas Rangers are, I would have a hard time believing that anything other than impeccable character and hard work would get you the job.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
Popfischer,

I spent 30 minutes on a response and for some reason, this forum didn't have me logged in and it vanished. So, I will make this quick.......

It's all about your work ethic and the quality of your work product. There was a time when political appointments were made and it was a dark time for the Rangers.

Recruiting is a big part of our job and I'm happy to visit with your Son over the phone or in person. There is a lot of information about the Texas DPS, the Texas Rangers and the minimum requirements here: https://www.dps.texas.gov

I will send you my cell via PM.....
My 2nd post , and I know for sure it's exactly what Rangertrace states .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21/503 View Post
As fine an outfit as the Texas Rangers are, I would have a hard time believing that anything other than impeccable character and hard work would get you the job.
Another exact 100% .

I grew up playing with our neighbors nephews , 1 , the oldest , was super smart kinda keeping to himself and very quiet , also , he was a book smart son-of-a-gun .

His brother the younger , was a rough and tough kinda guy , HS football and other sports , average grades , etc , etc .

Both of these worked DPS but I can't remember if the 2 went on to be Rangers . I know that 1 did . I guess what I'm trying to say that their backgrounds and family were just average hard working people , low to middle class , etc etc .
They were in no way tied to anyone political to up them or hire them the back door way .
They worked there way up the ladder the old school way , hard work , respect for others , and last but not least , calling in sick

Rangertrace , would you happen to know the brothers I'm talking about .
The eldest ran into some family issues on the roof of building .
I'm not a social media guy , if you know how they or he are doing now , be nice to know , most of there family I knew are passed on or I'd ask them .

Also , how many Rangers are there now , I can remember when there were like a little over a 100 or so .
Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman View Post
My 2nd post , and I know for sure it's exactly what Rangertrace states .

Another exact 100% .

I grew up playing with our neighbors nephews , 1 , the oldest , was super smart kinda keeping to himself and very quiet , also , he was a book smart son-of-a-gun .

His brother the younger , was a rough and tough kinda guy , HS football and other sports , average grades , etc , etc .

Both of these worked DPS but I can't remember if the 2 went on to be Rangers . I know that 1 did . I guess what I'm trying to say that their backgrounds and family were just average hard working people , low to middle class , etc etc .
They were in no way tied to anyone political to up them or hire them the back door way .
They worked there way up the ladder the old school way , hard work , respect for others , and last but not least , calling in sick

Rangertrace , would you happen to know the brothers I'm talking about .
The eldest ran into some family issues on the roof of building .
I'm not a social media guy , if you know how they or he are doing now , be nice to know , most of there family I knew are passed on or I'd ask them .

Also , how many Rangers are there now , I can remember when there were like a little over a 100 or so .
I might know who you are talking about if you gave me a name, but the family issue on the roof of a building isn't getting me there.

When I made Ranger on 5-1-2004, there were 116 of us. Because of all the border violence, we have grown over the years and just got approved for another 20, which will put us at around 172 I believe. With only 13 years in, I'm #22 in Ranger Seniority and #2 in Company "B". Time flies.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM

RT ,

I'm 53 , so the younger brother would be my age or maybe a yr older , call it 54-55 , the other brother would be 54-57 , the one that had a little bit of Trouble .

I don't wanna mention any last names in public .

2 fellas born and raised on an island , Rudy and Aurthor . Both damn good guys , hoping all is well with them and there families . And yes , time frikkin flies don't it .

Congrats to you Making Ranger , Prolly 1 of the hardest titles in law enforcement to earn .
Old 04-20-2017, 04:22 PM

In 1978 I explored the viability of moving to Texas, and continuing my LE employment with the intent of becoming a Texas Ranger. The reputation of the Rangers seemed to me to be what I wanted from my LE career, and truly believe I'd make a great Ranger. While digging up information, I was given this by a DPS officer: At the time, three things seemed, to the DPS officer, to be almost mandatory for a Texas Ranger appointment. One, since the count was low and applicants high, it was almost a given that you had to be Texas born. Strike one. Two, of the average white guy Ranger appointments, they usually were six foot tall or taller. Strike two. Thirdly, most Texas Ranger applicants came from the DPS, with at least 5-10 years of exemplary service. There might have been exceptions, but this was what the DPS officer had observed. While I figured I could do #3, (I was coming from Ohio with a my training acquired as a municipal police officer in Ohio and through the Ohio State Patrol Academy, fairly respected in other states as a fine training base), I was never going to be six foot tall, or Texas born. I later entertained the thought of kicking the door open at the Texas Ranger Commandant's office, and announcing that I was the best man for the job, and to prove it, I would challenge the TR's to bring in their biggest, baddest Ranger, and I would put him on the ground. I figured the over six foot bruin of a Ranger would easily knock me on MY butt, but that I would keep getting back up until they got tired of my hapless attempt, my blood, or got bored at the scene, but realized that the moxy to KEEP getting up was the spirit of the Rangers, and hire me on the spot. What did I have to lose? It might have worked.........
Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 PM

If you can be a Trooper, you can be a Ranger. And we hire folks from all over the Country and some that were born in Mexico.

There was a time, when there was a minimum height to be a Trooper, which of course reflected the same height for the rangers. I'm only 5'9". My partner raises the average though at 6'7".
Old 04-20-2017, 05:15 PM

If you can be a Trooper, you can be a Ranger. And we hire folks from all over the Country and some that were born in Mexico.

There was a time, when there was a minimum height to be a Trooper, which of course reflected the same height for the rangers. I'm only 5'9". My partner raises the average though at 6'7".
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 AM

I've known some fine LEO's that were born in Mexico, even here in the Northwest. A lot of them got their citizenship in the Military and I don't know anyone that would fault them for that.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:01 AM

Go for It!

Encourage your son to do the research and contact Texas Rangers Human Resources for a recruitment brochure. You never know until you know. My Engineering Degree had me looking at Boeing. I entered LE in '91 and never looked back.

I'll toss this out, I may not have the events 100% but I'm darn close...

My closest friend. Successful college athlete, double major with masters degree. Opens a successful business with a friend in our close circle. At the end of a History Ch. program on the Border Patrol there flashed "If interested in a career with the Border Patrol... go to this website." He completes the online application.

Boom! Few months later, a big application arrives in the mail. He completes it and tells no one.

Few months later, a letter invites him to a big hotel for interviews with the FBI. He does not say a word. He really enjoyed the all day interview process. A group interview then an individual. He passes.

He passes everything. He tells me an FBI Agent might call because he applied to the Border Patrol What! Why! New career. FBI calls me, then an Investigator visits me.

Job offer - Quantico for an intense training program. He graduated 3rd in his class and spoke fluent Spanish. It was Awesome! First station - USA/Mexico border.

He put his time in and excelled in every position he held. This impressed supervisors. He promoted and now wears some serious credentials.

I love sharing his story. Go for It!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:27 AM

I only had the opportunity to meet a Texas Ranger one time while doing an extradition a number of years ago. He was a very fine gentleman with impeccable work history (he was an old guy like me).

Take advantage of member rangertrace and get the story from horses mouth. Lots of things in law enforcement that have changed over the decades and political appointments are one of them. I am not aware of a place that makes appointments on anything other than the qualifications/skills of the individual applicant.

With over thirty years in I can say that is has been an honor to serve and the greatest job on earth.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 AM

rangertrace- Good on you for your sincere offer to speak to the OP's son and provide information and guidance, I'm sure he will find your help invaluable.

Popfischer- I'm no Ranger, just retired local cop that started as an SP in the USAF and is still on the job part time. My advice to your son is to persevere. If it's something he really wants and he's got the background to get in then he should go for it and not give up, even if things don't always go his way.

My son is a USAF Special Operations TACP, like the Texas Rangers it's an extremely difficult job to get into, only the best applicants are invited to try out and only the best of those make it. There are only about 100 of them and getting in requires a very high level of professionalism, job knowledge, physical conditioning, and commitment. When he started out in TACP school he was injured and could not meet the run time requirements and was told he'd have to change schools. While waiting for processing he healed, he kept training, worked hard, and did everything that was asked of him and more. The Schoolhouse commander took note and just before he was due to leave for another training program he gave him one more chance, if he made the run he would graduate with the next flight. He made it with about 12 seconds to spare.

After he'd been in several years as a conventional TACP and had two combat deployments to Afghanistan under his belt he applied for SOF TACP selection. His application was accepted and he went to selection and failed the swimming portion. They told him to work on it and reapply. He put himself on a swimming regimen using a SEAL training course and 2 years and another deployment to Afghanistan later he reapplied for selection and was accepted. This time he crushed it, out of 13 guys that tried out he and 6 others made it. There's been a ton of work and advanced training since then but he's been in the job for almost two years now and loves it. But the only reason he's there is because he never quit, never took his eyes off his goal, never took the easy way out, and never settled for anything less than his best.

Let your boy know that if my son can attain his career goals in spite of road blocks then he can certainly attain his. Best of luck to him, let us know how he does.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 PM

I wanted to publicly thank rangertrace for taking the time out of his day to speak with my son.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:44 PM

Thanks, but no thanks is necessary. He was a polite gentleman to talk to with several well thought out questions. I provided him with my complete contact information and I hope he does well in the application process.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:58 PM

If I might ask, What are the Rangers carrying for sidearms?
Last I heard State troopers were getting Sig 226 DAO in 357 Sig.
And Rangers could either be issued the Sig or go with their own 1911?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 PM

Texas Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post

My cousin graduated the academy to become a TX state trooper last year; he is carrying a Sig P320 in 9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by southpaw187; 04-28-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 PM

Pics of his peacemaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 06:19 AM

I would contact Chuck Norris.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I would contact Chuck Norris.

If I only had a dollar for every time I've heard that........I could retire early and buy a pretty big boat!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post

It varies from Ranger to Ranger. Some (few) carry the issued Sig. Some carry Glocks and a whole bunch of us carry 1911s of some kind. Probably the most popular is the Springfield TRP because they do a really nice TRP for us in stainless with our badges on them.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfischer View Post
First if this isnt an appropriate topic admins please delete.

My son is graduating in May with an engineering degree, He came to me over spring break and asked what I know about the Rangers. I told him nothing but of course asked why he wanted to know. He told me he was concerned about making a difference with his life ...
Pop, I would suggest a commission as a US Marine Corps officer.

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:07 PM

Well, if from what I've seen in movies that from time to time Rangers ride horses, FORGET IT!!!!!!