Never again - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 02:25 PM

Never again

I was just on my way home and found myself downtown. Made a small lane change mistake and got the long obnoxious horn thing. Making a left turn the people were along side of me and they were yelling at me. I said I was sorry what do you want me to do. The woman ( white woman) that was drivings boyfriend ( young black guy) jumped out of the car and came around and punched me in the chin. I am 64 he was about 24. No damage done to me. BUT, I reached for my Walther PPS that I keep in the console, and I had removed it from the car, thinking it was over kill w my edc. Hand came up empty. Could not get to my EDC at the 4 oclock position fast enough.
NEVER again!!! The console gun STAYS in the car all the time.
Let this be a warning to all!!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:48 PM

I am very sorry to hear this news. The 24 yr old is young and dumb, not realizing that he could have been killed while trying to be a bad ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 02:53 PM

Sorry this happened to you. Glad that you were not hurt.

Did you report this to the police? If he hit you without any repercussions, it is possible that he will do it again. He may hurt someone the next time.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Yeah and most likely trying to impress his girlfriend. Like I said, I have a big chin and he was a small punk. As soon as he punched he ran away. But, it still hurt.

And made me rethink some decisions that I had made before. Handy car guns are great. Your EDC is not the most handy one while you are setting in a car.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:00 PM

No report to Police. No vehicle license number, poor description of him. Just for info, this is one of those things that happen SO fast.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Glad you were not seriously hurt. Thanks for the reminder. I keep my piece holstered and under the seat, by my right leg. Unless something has ramped up my threat level, then Its un holstered and on my lap.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontech496 View Post
No report to Police. No vehicle license number, poor description of him. Just for info, this is one of those things that happen SO fast.
Again, glad that you were not seriously hurt.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman View Post
Glad you were not seriously hurt. Thanks for the reminder. I keep my piece holstered and under the seat, by my right leg. Unless something has ramped up my threat level, then Its un holstered and on my lap.
The threat level went from 1 to 100 in about 2-3 seconds. Jeeze it sure changed my idea's of how fast it could escalate.
And thanks everyone for the good wishes.
Fortunately I have had a VERY hard chin. My best friend all my life called me Bulldog. Maybe that is why the punk took off so fast?
He hit me and I just looked at him. Don't get me wrong, I felt it big time. Been many years since I took one one the chin/face.
The only reason I am posting this is to let all my friends here know how FAST it can happen.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:27 PM

Needless to say the kid is a punk and I wouldn't shed a tear if he were reduced to ambient temp,but IMO it's a good thing you didn't have immed.access to gun. Why was yr window rolled down when you saw him exit his car?Why did you not just pull away if you could have done so? Nothing would have turned out well for anyone if you had used lethal force. I hate being forced to look like a wimp but I would have window closed,door locked and smiled at him,force him to break the window then you have legal standing.

Last edited by 4evrnbljns; 04-14-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:30 PM

That's one of the reasons my backup is in a ankle holster. You can hardly reach a gun from anything but a shoulder holster while sitting in a car. And I live in a warm Country so shoulder holsters are not always an option. .
Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM

If she ever tries it with me, I am going to lay a strip down her arm with a knife. That will provide DNA evidence and it will serve as a deterrent for more violence too.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:40 PM

I keep one wedge between the seat and console, passenger seat that is. Super easy access point.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 PM
1911 Aficionado

My wife used to part-time at a neighborhood pub that has a legal-pot store on the other side of the pub-owned parking lot.
There are literally more customer-parking-only signs than there are stalls, but every day people leave their cars idling in middle of the lot while they run in to score some legal weed.

If a pub employee sees them, they get a, "Hey, you can't park here", which is sometimes met with an, "Oh, geez, I'm sorry . . . ", and sometimes with an f-you, or a challenge to fight, but on Tuesday, the punk pulls a pistol, racks the slide, points it at the bartender's face and says, "How 'bout I kill you?"

In the time it takes a guy to take three steps, dig into his console, then come up with an unloaded gun, still three steps away?

Risking your life, and threatening another's over a parking space?

Last edited by RickB; 04-17-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I was just on my way home and found myself downtown. Made a small lane change mistake and got the long obnoxious horn thing. Making a left turn the people were along side of me and they were yelling at me. I said I was sorry what do you want me to do. The woman ( white woman) that was drivings boyfriend ( young black guy) jumped out of the car and came around and punched me in the chin. I am 64 he was about 24. No damage done to me. BUT, I reached for my Walther PPS that I keep in the console, and I had removed it from the car, thinking it was over kill w my edc. Hand came up empty. Could not get to my EDC at the 4 oclock position fast enough.
I'm a little confused (old mind hard to put things together). Did the man or the woman hit you? Either way you were in a bad position.Sitting in a car strapped in,hard to move arms door blocked door by your attacker.A young man or woman can do a lot of damage to an older man.Sorry for what happened.I'm a little fuzzy on this but seems like One state has a law if you start to getting hit and you are 65 or older you are green lighted to use your handgun can some help me with this?
Old 04-14-2017, 03:50 PM

I carry iwb at 11:30. Can get to edc when sitting, belted in. You don't have to be old to defend yourself.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1 View Post
I'm a little confused (old mind hard to put things together). Did the man or the woman hit you? Either way you were in a bad position.Sitting in a car strapped in,hard to move arms door blocked door by your attacker.A young man or woman can do a lot of damage to an older man.Sorry for what happened.I'm a little fuzzy on this but seems like One state has a law if you start to getting hit and you are 65 or older you are green lighted to use your handgun can some help me with this?
Yup, strapped in through the window. Hit me on my chin.
Like I said, could not get to my edc fast enough. The console gun would have been Much faster/better.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:31 PM

I don't see reaching into a console as very fast on the draw ether . I carry a 4" double stack at 3:15 position with a about 8 to 10* cant . When I sit in a car I tuck my shirt in behind my iwb hybrid holster so if needed I can draw my pistol quickly . No need for extra steps and a second off the body handgun .

Situational awareness when some one is dishing out the road rage should have you covering your possible alternative's before the guy got to you .

AND you still should have dialed 911 . Any info would have been helpful and YOU want to be the first one to call in a road rage / assault to help cover your arse . If he called first YOU would be the one the cops stopped .
Old 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM

glad you are alive and not injure d badly

luckily the genius did not have a gun himself.

fwiw(and I have not been in a situation EXACTLY like yours) IF you drew the gun, you could have been arrested. The force you use to respond must be equal to (as close a s possible anyway) the force being used against you. a metal rod , a knife, a baton.. thos e items would be less likely seen as excessive force if used.

did you take a pic of their license plate? if so get him put in jail

Last edited by boatdoc; 04-14-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
glad you are alive and not injure d badly

luckily the genius did not have a gun himself.

fwiw(and I have not been in a situation EXACTLY like yours) IF you drew the gun, you could have been arrested. The force you use to respond must be equal to (as close a s possible anyway) the force being used against you. a metal rod , a knife, a baton.. thos e items would be less likely seen as excessive force if used.

did you take a pic of their license plate? if so get him put in jail
however a young person beating up a 64 year old can easily be counted as being a disparity of force. Like George Zimmerman, if you believe your life is in danger you can use force even if they don't have a weapon. Down here in the Southwest it happens all the time, especially since your car is an extension of your home in this state so castle doctrines apply
Old 04-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I live in a decent neighborhood. I never venture into the big city or red light districts. I don't know any troublemakers nor would I associate with them if I did. I never run around at 2am going into 7-11 stores. Despite that I've lost count of the number of times somebody in a vehicle became very aggressive towards me just because I was in their way. The sad truth is that a road rage incident is the most likely scenario in which you're going to have to fight for your life these days. There are simply too many hotheads out there behind the wheel ready to kill anybody who inconveniences them or forces them to actually use their brake pedal.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 04-14-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:23 PM

Edc

Quote:
This approach may not be for everyone ... but here goes:

EDC -is- the vehicle gun too. Pistol goes in the car: holstered, dismounted, within easy reach from my seat. When I get out, both doors open on my side of the car provides a screen left-and-right to remount the holster on me. Getting back in, the same in reverse. The dismount / mount is only visible from behind. From behind it just looks as though I'm moving something in / out of my briefcase or the like.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrnbljns View Post
Needless to say the kid is a punk and I wouldn't shed a tear if he were reduced to ambient temp,but IMO it's a good thing you didn't have immed.access to gun. Why was yr window rolled down when you saw him exit his car?Why did you not just pull away if you could have done so? Nothing would have turned out well for anyone if you had used lethal force. I hate being forced to look like a wimp but I would have window closed,door locked and smiled at him,force him to break the window then you have legal standing.
A good practical view. No criticism of the OP intended, however. I wasn't there.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:28 PM

be safe
maybe best bet is to not to go to a spot you think you need protection
Old 04-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
be safe
maybe best bet is to not to go to a spot you think you need protection
Like I said above, when you're out driving the bad people come to you. You never know if the dude in the next lane is just a grandpa or a six-time convicted felon.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:29 AM

Very sad to hear about this. I have to say as much as most of us would love to see him on the ground just stop and think for a few seconds how your life may have changed if you shot the young dirt bag. You could end up in jail and loose your right to bear arms or at the least crucified in the liberal media as a racist that shot a friendly youth. In Florida even drawing on an aggressor in a road rage incident without firing may be considered an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon which is a felony with a 3 year sentence. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt and will be OK and even more so that you are not going to have any legal issues.