I am no snob - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-02-2017, 12:27 PM

I am no snob

I'll start with the most expensive knife I own is a Cold Steep Voyager XL Tanto that I paid 38 bucks for brand new. I carry a Byrd Cara Cara 2 EDC and my dress knife is a Ontario Rat 1. Having a family and two kids doesn't make guns and knives my main priority. But I enjoy all the little things.

I'm a sucker for cheap blades for EDC work at work. At work I cut A lot of bundles of steel conduit that are wrapped at the ends with fiberglass tape. That and cutting boxes are my main uses at work. Along with cutting my oranges and avacodos.

I don't care to EDC a 100 dollar knife and grind that blade on steel while cutting the bundles open. 10-20 dollar knives will suite my work purposes just fine. I carry two diamond hones, a fine stone, and a strop in my lunch box to sharpen during breaks.

But while at Bucks and Jakes outfitters bullspitting around with my friend that works there I stumbled over to the cheap Chinese knife box by the counter and saw this 9 dollar beauty. Assisted opening. Lockup is nice and tight with no wiggle at all. I like the blade profile and the grip is nice and I can get a good grip with gloves at work. The action is very fast. My friend owes me some money so I got it for 5 bucks. Can't beat it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 04-03-2017, 01:31 PM

I most always use a cheap knife that will hold half an edge for abusive work. I figure it is nonsense to abuse a good knife and possibly chip/break a blade. Oft times they get resharpened in haste on a power tool with out much care (RazorSharp) as to angles etc. Now certain jobs like dissecting a critter in the field would be a case for my QUALITY knives. Only have one custom and that was given to me for helping a guy build his business.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:47 PM

I've now gone to a Benchmade Griptillian for my every day knife. Holds up well, keeps a good edge, and does everything I need. My hunting version is a Benchmade Grizzly Creek, and I've really enjoyed that one for field dressing.

If it is truly abusive work, I'll go to a cheap knife I don't mind losing/hurting, but otherwise I put the Benchmades to use.

It's funny - I was talking to my wife's cousin one day about knives, and said I appreciated nice knives like that Benchmade. My mother in law overheard, and decided that would be a good Christmas present to get me another knife. It came in multiple months after the holidays, but she ended up getting me a custom made John Neeman. I'm sometimes scared even taking that thing out of the sheath it is so nice.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:14 PM

Next time I go camping I'll do the opposite. I'll wear & use my new Randall #1 to hack kindling & do other chores. I'll try not to break it, but otherwise it will be used hard, like a cheapie.

Because what would I be "saving" it for in a lockbox?------------------- My next life?

No way. It's getting used & enjoyed in THIS life.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottytuned View Post
I've now gone to a Benchmade Griptillian for my every day knife. Holds up well, keeps a good edge, and does everything I need. My hunting version is a Benchmade Grizzly Creek, and I've really enjoyed that one for field dressing.

If it is truly abusive work, I'll go to a cheap knife I don't mind losing/hurting, but otherwise I put the Benchmades to use.

It's funny - I was talking to my wife's cousin one day about knives, and said I appreciated nice knives like that Benchmade. My mother in law overheard, and decided that would be a good Christmas present to get me another knife. It came in multiple months after the holidays, but she ended up getting me a custom made John Neeman. I'm sometimes scared even taking that thing out of the sheath it is so nice.
I sold more Benchmade knives then any of the other knives, i bet 10 times more.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Next time I go camping I'll do the opposite. I'll wear & use my new Randall #1 to hack kindling & do other chores. I'll try not to break it, but otherwise it will be used hard, like a cheapie.

Because what would I be "saving" it for in a lockbox?------------------- My next life?

No way. It's getting used & enjoyed in THIS life.
+1
Old 04-03-2017, 03:56 PM

Right on, L.E.

Worn, but not worn out. Props to ya!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Right on, L.E.

Worn, but not worn out. Props to ya!

I actually bought that thing used from an older gentleman in about 1974. He didn't own anything that was mediocre. I gave $50 for it, and was ridiculed by a couple of friends for the deal. After all, you could buy a new Case sheath knife for about half that at the time. I'm still okay with the purchase.
And btw, you talked about trying "not to break yours". I was cutting down alder saplings with this knife back then - cutting as deep as I could low on the trunk, while bending them hard with my left hand. (good friend with a nice fish on a fast, brushy river) Going about it pretty vigorously, they'd snap off completely at a certain point. On one, I pushed on the knife hard, the alder didn't snap, and I had a sickening feeling as I pushed the handle beyond what I imagined was the point of no return. In the fraction of a second, I knew and fully expected that the blade would break. It didn't. Crap, it must not be much in the way of decent steel, certainly it must be hideously bent now. Nope. Unscathed. I'd be hard pressed to part with it at any sane price. It's a Model 4-5.
R.I.P., Harry S.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot2017 View Post
I sold more Benchmade knives then any of the other knives, i bet 10 times more.
Yea I'm a big fan. For the record, I had a family member who worked at a large store that sold, and they got an incredible discount on them (IIRC 60%), so I couldn't pass them up at the price I got them for.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 PM

I was eyeing a griptillian at academy the other day. Everytime I see it I want it even more. But then it's a flop between the grip and the launch 1
Old 04-11-2017, 04:39 PM

the whole reason I bought a benchmade, was to have a knife that would hold up to everyday carry,, I have used mine to clean deer, cut aluminum flashing, open boxes, make kindling, prying things open, this knife is way more useful than anything I carry, the lock is still as tight and solid as the day I bought it, I have had it about 6 or 7 years now and I will never be without a Benchmade griptillian.Wimpy
Old 04-14-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230slugster View Post
I was eyeing a griptillian at academy the other day. Everytime I see it I want it even more. But then it's a flop between the grip and the launch 1

I've got a Mini-Grip from Cabela's with the D2 blade and it rocks. Great little knife, not a lot more that you really need in an edc!

Having stated that and even though the Mini-Grip is the biggest little knife out there, I believe that if you don't want a Sebenza you likely need to seek professional help...

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 04-14-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 PM

I don't carry anything that cost me less than about $80. A knife is a tool, and I appreciate good tools. Like working on a car. Some guys prefer Snap-on, and some guys use whatever was cheapest at Walmart. Count me in the first group...
Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 PM

Pretty sure I have well over 100 knives that are worth less than $20. I tend to buy what catches my eye...and can afford at the time. But over time as I've acquired a few higher quality (and priced) knives, I enjoy carrying and using them for daily tasks. If I don't use them, who will.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 PM

I use crappy tools. I deal in classic cars & am always working on them. I have a full Craftsman set (good stuff) and a ton of Chinese garbage.

It all works. Either very well, or well enough.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I have a full Craftsman set (good stuff) and a ton of Chinese garbage.
Now one in the same.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 AM

That's too bad. But mine are nice, older ones.

Btw, I assume that modern Craftsman, even if Chinese, are better than the $5.99 socket wrench sets at H. Freight. Or the open-end wrench sets that look like they were sand-cast in Play Doh.

On cheapies, I buy a knife on arrival every time I fly somewhere. If I like it I mail it home, If I don't I tip a bellman or cabbie with it on the last day.

Plenty have been Chinese automatics in the $7-$14 range. They, overall, have been surprisingly good.

The difficulty is finding one that is not extremely tacky looking. No, I don't want a dragon or machinegun image on my knife.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
That's too bad. But mine are nice, older ones.

Btw, I assume that modern Craftsman, even if Chinese, are better than the $5.99 socket wrench sets at H. Freight. Or the open-end wrench sets that look like they were sand-cast in Play Doh.

On cheapies, I buy a knife on arrival every time I fly somewhere. If I like it I mail it home, If I don't I tip a bellman or cabbie with it on the last day.

Plenty have been Chinese automatics in the $7-$14 range. They, overall, have been surprisingly good.

The difficulty is finding one that is not extremely tacky looking. No, I don't want a dragon or machinegun image on my knife.
How 'bout a dragon with a machine gun?

I have my dad's Craftsman wrenches that are nearly 60 years old. They're great.
Sadly, Sears has managed to flush a century-plus American icon right down the crapper. Selling the Craftsman name to Stanley might be the final nail in the coffin. The beginning off the end was 20 some years ago when Sears decided it was too expensive to send catalogs to their loyal customers. That'd be like Amazon deciding to close down their website.
L.

Last edited by L.E.; 04-20-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 PM

A dragon WITH a machinegun? Okay! Now we're talkin!

Gots to get me one a' those.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
A dragon WITH a machinegun? Okay! Now we're talkin!

Gots to get me one a' those.
What's not to love?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 AM

I have a new Randall coming next month, finally!

They say that they used to be able to cut the tops off of 55 gallon drums with them in the Nam, without harming them significantly.

As to hand tools, I have a little bit of everything. From Snap On and Starrett to Craftsman to Guang Dong specials from Harbor freight, which surprisingly work pretty well. As far as a good balance of price verses quality though, I have to found that Williams brand are an excellent deal. Very high quality at a decent price. Interestingly enough Williams is owned by Snap On.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:20 AM

My buddy had a set of black (parkerized?) Snap On tools that were allegedly military or industrial in origin. I really dug them.

Someone busted his car window, popped the trunk, & stole them. Got his Emergency $ Twenty that was tucked in a carpet rip too.

That's life. Personally I don't store squat in my car. Just stuff I don't mind losing. I have a knife in each vehicle, but they are cheapies that I have found.

One of my super powers is finding stuff!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM

Snap On has been selling their black line of tools.

For decades. They are exactly the same as their premium chromed tools. But the profit margin is not as much as the chrome tools. So the trucks do not like to carry them. And mechanics do not really like them as they will often get lost under the hood of a car.

Snap On also has an economy line known as their Blue Point line.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 PM

The industrial black finish is for working on things that don't tolerate a flake of loose chrome, like jet engines.
L.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
...to Guang Dong
I think they've developed a new antibiotic for that.