Rock Island FS-Tactical 2011, Did I make a Mistake? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 12:43 PM

Rock Island FS-Tactical 2011, Did I make a Mistake?

Just wanted to make my first post after being a long time stalker of the Forum. After over 10 years of being absent from the 1911 game I jumped back in with the purchase of a Rock Island 2011 tac model today. My last 1911 was the newly released Kimber Warrior in the mid 2000's.

So over the last 2 years I've been wanting to get back in the 1911 game and have done some wondering on the interwebs and finally pulled the trigger on the RIA FS-Tactical 2011. I'm very aware of the debate between the Phillpino 1911's and the Colts, Wilsons, and custom American made guns. With that being said the debate for me is cost vs reward. Could I afford a 2000 dollar 1911? Yes, would i enjoy a 2000 dollar 1911? Yes of course, but would I baby my 2000 dollar 1911 and be in fear of all the negatives that can happen with can happen with gun ownership? Yes of course. I'm a very successful family man with the means to continue to build my firearms collection over the next 40 working years I have left. So the time may come that I make a move into the high end 1911 club in the future, but that day was not today.

So in my thinking I'm looking for a high value mid range 1911 that comes with features that I would be pay much more if the gun was made in America. Long story short, the opportunity came up at my local gun shop and I felt it was time to buy the Rock Island that fit the bill.

The stats are all over the internet, but here is my take on why I picked the RIA. The slide to frame fit is tight, the target crown on the muzzle, zero wiggle in the gun in general, the barrel bushing is so tight I will need a bushing tool to remove it, the frame to slide lock up on the rear is smooth, the trigger is crisp at 4-5 lbs with zero creep, the sights are mid range good metal blacked out sights with the opportunity to fill in the dots if I wanted to add white or color dots, and finally the new style look of the 2011 squared up dust cover did it for me in the looks department.

With all that said I like the pistol. Shot my first 50 rounds threw the gun today with good acuracy and zero jams.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:12 PM

If the gun works and you like it, that's all that counts. Enjoy it and buy more 1911s guilt free. Like the rest of us......LOL!

"I Miss America"
Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 PM

You will find a lot of folks around here appreciate the Rocks. If you like it, if it runs good for you, if it suits your needs, ROCK ON!

You can have a Wilson, love it, and still appreciate the other guns. I've had Dan Wesson, several Colts, SAs, and such over the years. Currently my only 1911 is a RIA GI type and it works just fine and suits me. I do intend to get another Colt Combat Elite XSE later to replace the two I had and moved along. The next one I think I'll keep.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 AM

Rocks ROCK!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:30 PM

Your money, your gun, buy what you want and enjoy it. There will always be someone who will say that you screwed up. Most people that bash Rocks have never owned one. Great gun for the money.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 PM

I'm in a similar position as the OP and today walked into a gun shop and saw a shiny Wilson Combat 4" like new for $2500+. I could buy it and I'm sure I would love it.... for a while. After a couple months I would just want something else or worse I would start thinking, what if I sell it and then I could buy a bunch of guns... I have a RIA Tactical 2 in 10mm and it is a terrific gun for the money. Of course I'm lusting after a shiny Dan Wesson.... it never ends lol
Old 03-17-2017, 05:43 AM

Spending big bucks on a gun doesn't always make it work better. It may give you pride of ownership, but there are many reasonably priced guns that out of the box, function just as well.

I have had a $50 cigar that tasted like rolled up newspapers, and a $5 cigar that was perfect. Price alone is not a measure of quality in all cases.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM

maybe shoot more?

Well, sorry to break it to you , but yes, IMHO you did make a mistake.

You shot only 50 rounds with your new pistol at the range. Now I don't know your job or family priorities that day, but come on!!, your first new pistol in ten years and only 50 shots?

Peace
Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Talk about it... put 300 rounds through her!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWowner View Post
Well, sorry to break it to you , but yes, IMHO you did make a mistake.

You shot only 50 rounds with your new pistol at the range. Now I don't know your job or family priorities that day, but come on!!, your first new pistol in ten years and only 50 shots?

Peace
Agreed.....time to give that gun more range time.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:14 AM

Hello,

I like to build on Rock Island pistols.

I carry mine for defense, so I do gut them and replace everything with EGW, Wilson, and Brown.

The stock internals are just fine for a range gun. Come to that, they're probably fine for carry, but I'm particular.

You did well.

Regards,

Josh
Old 03-25-2017, 04:55 PM

I Love RIA

Click image for larger version

Name:	5 (1).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1,022.1 KB
ID:	338562 I have a 2011 I use for steel challenge and IDPA. Fusion Fire arms done a trigger job on it 2.5 lbs and mounted a C-more 8 moa and its flawless after 2000 rounds and still tight as if it was new and I love it
Old 03-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
If the gun works and you like it, that's all that counts. Enjoy it and buy more 1911s guilt free. Like the rest of us......LOL!
Pretty much this ^ Would I buy a RIA? No....I would not...but everyone gets to have anything he wants. USA! FREEDOM
Old 03-27-2017, 04:26 AM

It is okay to be a gun snob, just not too smart. I have several Colt's, R1s, Taurus PT 1911s, Auto Ordnance and yesterday I bought a 10mm RIA for $419 out the door. But while walking out the door I spied a Walter PPKS for $353. The only 1911 I have ever not shoot was a Colt 70 series. Didn't fix it just traded it to the dealer.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 PM

In the years past I have had two Colt 1911 .45 pistols, now I have a RIA 1911 GI clone that does not take a back seat to the colts I had. I have had this pistol for over three years and have pushed a lot of rounds through it, mostly standard ball and Hornady 185 gr HP. I changed the recoil spring soon after I got it but it operates just fine, without a hiccup.

I carry this pistol everywhere. Having been a Peace Officer for 17+ yrs and appreciating the reliability of a tool that ones life may depend on, I do not hesitate to walk out the door with this one. It has proven itself to me through the years.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 AM

You did good in getting the RIA. They are reliable and if not good customer service will take care of you. I have two RIA Tacticals one in 45 and one 9mm. I have 14 Colts, 2 Sigs, 1 Baer PII, Remington Rand and a few others. I shoot my Custom Colt and Baer and the 9mm RIA Tac the most because they are the most accurate guns I have.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:56 AM

I wanted a Hi cap 9mm in a 2011 with a rail. I didn't want another $3000+ handgun. So I went ria instead of STI.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 AM

Rock Island makes VERY good pistols in the 1911 format!

I own four RIA 1911's in .45 ACP and .38 Super and not ONE has so far malfunctioned. I'd call that good.