40 Caliber Question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 PM

40 Caliber Question

I know why I stopped shooting 40 caliber. *It is a PIA to run the brass through the resizing die. *

These rounds were shot in a 3rd Gen 23. *All my 40s have been run through the Lee resizing die before reloading them. *

The question that I have is, after shooting a 3rd generation Glock 23, would you run the brass through the Lee die. *I use a set of RCBS dies to reload them.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 AM

Is the brass "Glocked".

Bruce
Old 02-17-2017, 02:15 AM

Lee dies are all I use. I've ran a boat load of 40's through my Lee pro 1000 3 st press with no issues. 40's and 45acp are the easiest brass to resize in my press. 9mm has way more resistance to resizing then my 40's.
I've never used the RCBS dies so I can't say much on that, but ,myself and a good friend of mine use only Lee dies. Some of our brass has been through the reloaders now 7-8 times. Give em a try, might be what your looking for.
We both shoot Gen3 models 22 and 35's for reference.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 AM

I find the old "glocked" brass term refers to early Gen 2 guns which indeed had a more generous chamber. If your .40 is Gen or newer no worries. While you can use the excellent REdding push through sizing die to insure no bad piece of brass gets mixed with you brass, i dont find it a required step.

Started off loading for a new RTF Glock with about few thousand carefully obtained once fired pieces of brass. Now I am loading for a 4 different Glocks and use mixed brass on my 550. Using an RCBS carbide sizing die, Redding competition seating die and crimp die. I use Hornady one shot lube to keep everything running along smooth and for more consistent COAL
Never have problems of rounds that fail to feed.

Bulk once fired brass purchased from the indoor range floor is a pretty safe bet.

These days the real risk in no longer bulk police brass fired in older Gen 2 Glocks, its the stuff that some hot rodded try to make .40 major for the local uspsa match. Range brass picked up after a match will definitely show some swolen brass near the base. And this type of brass abuse is not going to be saved running it through a push through sizer, Lee crimp die, etc. The brass is already weakened. While it can straightened into spec, the weak spot is still there.

YMMV

Last edited by rdinak; 02-17-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
The question that I have is, after shooting a 3rd generation Glock 23, would you run the brass through the Lee die. *I use a set of RCBS dies to reload them.
Not typically an issue for G23 3rd gen barrels. As Rdinak already mentioned, Glock had corrected the unsupported issue prior to that.
Yes, run all your brass through your resizing dies, but a GRX Push Thru die is not necessarily warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinak View Post
I use Hornady one shot lube to keep everything running along smooth and for more consistent COAL...
Yup, try some One Shot...even (gasp) with carbide dies.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Last edited by 69Chevelle; 02-17-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM

My Glock 23 3rd Gen. and Beretta Storm carbine do not swell 40 S&W brass and it sizes perfectly with my RCBS dies. However, once fired brass I buy that has been fired in who knows how many different 40 guns does need sizing with my Redding carbide GR-X push thru die. So many cases are swelled, not guppy belly from an unsupported chamber, but just swelled from generous sized chambers. If I don't use the GR-X die my RCBS sizing die leaves a radius where the sizing die carbide ring stops. On a few cases it will even wipe or displace brass material. Using the GR-X die makes all the cases perfect. Still you have to be careful and inspect all once fired brass because you will find one with a guppy belly that would require scrapping that case. Carefully inspect all around the base of the case for bad unsupported chamber marks. Those can be dangerous to reload. I usually find 1-5 cases in a 500 round bag that need scrapped. Buying once fired brass, use a push thru sizer for perfect cases or if you're just loading your own fired brass from your pistol then you may not need this step.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM

I like that One Shot lube. It seems to be a lot less messy than the old RCBS sticky lube.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinak View Post
I find the old "glocked" brass term refers to early Gen 2 guns which indeed had a more generous chamber. If your .40 is Gen or newer no worries. While you can use the excellent REdding push through sizing die to insure no bad piece of brass gets mixed with you brass, i dont find it a required step.

Started off loading for a new RTF Glock with about few thousand carefully obtained once fired pieces of brass. Now I am loading for a 4 different Glocks and use mixed brass on my 550. Using an RCBS carbide sizing die, Redding competition seating die and crimp die. I use Hornady one shot lube to keep everything running along smooth and for more consistent COAL
Never have problems of rounds that fail to feed.

Bulk once fired brass purchased from the indoor range floor is a pretty safe bet.

These days the real risk in no longer bulk police brass fired in older Gen 2 Glocks, its the stuff that some hot rodded try to make .40 major for the local uspsa match.[B][/B] Range brass picked up after a match will definitely show some swolen brass near the base. And this type of brass abuse is not going to be saved running it through a push through sizer, Lee crimp die, etc. The brass is already weakened. While it can straightened into spec, the weak spot is still there.

YMMV
Are you thinking of 9mm major? Because .40 can be downloaded from factory specs and still make major.

As to the OP:
I've loaded tens of thousands of .40. Dillon 650 with a LFCD on the back and a full length sizer on the front.
No issues, though I always lube any pistol cases before reloading. It makes everything easier.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM

Bill I was thinking the same thing. He must of met 9mm major which I think is crazy. I've been downloading 40's for a few yrs now to make M PF. Too bad I don't get the time to shoot in these matches any more. Sure do miss it.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:09 PM

I run all my 40 through a Redding push through before I size it but discard any cases that are visibly bulged. I don't know if the Redding die is necessary but do it anyway. Most of my 40 brass is range pickup.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:45 PM

I have a old police trade in G22 gen2 and the brass is completely supported. Reloaded probably 10,000 rounds for it on a lee with lee dies. Never an issue. 9mm is much harder to size.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
While you can use the excellent REdding push through sizing die to insure no bad piece of brass gets mixed with you brass,
Using the so called "push thru" sizing dies on .40 S&W and 10mm brass which is bulged at the base will allow the bad cases to be chambered after reloading but does not repair the weak spot in the case. There have been numerous threads in this and other reloading forums covering this. I guess that IMO any case which has not sustained appreciable damage does not need to be run thru a "push thru" die and those which do require this are not safe for reloading. Yes-I know but it only takes one for a serious accident.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; 02-18-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:14 PM

Even with brass properly resized, a friend of mine suffered some case head separations after using the same mixed .40 brass for perhaps 10-15 reloadings at Major with Unique powder (we were well under max, at 6.7 gr of Unique with 155 gr moly RNFP bullets; 3 case head seps in 2 pistols over the course of two months)

.40 brass does not last forever, unlike .45 ACP
Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 PM

The only pistol case head separations I've ever seen or heard of which were not attributable to a manufacturer's defect were in bulged 10mm and .40 S&W cases which were resized and reloaded. It does not take a maximum load to cause a failure in a damaged case which has been "salvaged".

Bruce
Old 02-21-2017, 05:30 AM

Reloading .40 ammo

If I have "bulged brass" near the back of the case, it has already created a weak spot, even if it is resized back to normal. I would throw the brass in a box and eventually sell it as scrap....which is what I do with all split cases and fired primers.

I have never needed to full length resize any case after it was properly made to reduce a bulge..... Some bullets that are wider in diameter may make a slight bulge or "Coke bottle effect," however, if they fit my case gauge or barrel chamber properly, I don't worry about it.

I have found 5.6 grains of WST powder with a 180 gr. JHP shoots very well in my Bar Sto barrel STI 2011 Limited gun. I have fired sub one inch 5 shot groups from a rest at 25 yds. and the round makes Major power factor.....
Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Rwehavinfunyet, I feel the same way but just eyeballing the brass can you see the budge all the time? That is why I was running all 40 cal through the push through die.

If you can see the budge there is not question about the future of the brass.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:05 PM

I've reloaded and shot over 70k .40. I've gone to USPSA matches 3-5 times month for many years.
Never seen a .40 case head separation.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:41 PM

Bulged brass.....

If the bulge of the brass case is close to the lower portion of the case and near the head stamp, this may cause the case to weaken near the inside web of the case. If a bulge is caused by a wider diameter bullet, you may clearly see the bulge when the bullet is seated, but as long as the loaded round will fit a case gauge or easily fit the chamber of your gun barrel, this should not be a problem even with the visual appearance of a bulge.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:28 PM

The reason I am so interested in this subject is because of this 9 MM that was not any fun to shoot. Lucky I only got a bunch of burnt powder in my face.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM

.40 Sheitz und Weazel is the only caliber that I'd never reload.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
.40 Sheitz und Weazel is the only caliber that I'd never reload.
Well, that's good to know.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Well, that's good to know.
I agree Biil D. More for us to go around.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:55 PM

9mm case rupture....

Quote:
The reason I am so interested in this subject is because of this 9 MM that was not any fun to shoot.
I only use ramped barrels for high pressure rounds, since they often have better case support. The barrel chamber completely encircles the case up to the extractor groove. I use W/N ramped barrels for 9mm, .38 super, and .40S&W guns I have built......and have never had a case blow out. I have loaded rounds quite hot, and slightly over SAMMI specs, and have not had any issues using fully supported ramped barrels.

Many standard 9mm barrels may not offer the best case support, and it depends on the gun maker.