St. Valentines Day Massacre - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 PM

St. Valentines Day Massacre

Here's the question Copne or a Purple gang hit? Many have debated it but what do you believe. And was this the beginning of disarming law abiding civillian population in Chicago.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:20 PM

Not sure who did it but I do believe it was the impetus that woke people up to the fact back then one could order a tommy gun thru the mail.
COTEP#782
Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Being from Chicago originally, I come down on the side that it was the Purple Gang----no good outsiders lacking all common decency or decorum.

As to gun control, heck even into the 1940s you could go to Marshall Field's on State Street and purchase a handgun. Of course, now Field's is a Macy's---no good outsiders lacking all common decenty or decorum.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
Being from Chicago originally, I come down on the side that it was the Purple Gang----no good outsiders lacking all common decency or decorum.

As to gun control, heck even into the 1940s you could go to Marshall Field's on State Street and purchase a handgun. Of course, now Field's is a Macy's---no good outsiders lacking all common decenty or decorum.
Therefore, logically, Macy's is run by The Purple Gang????

I vote Capone. I think the fact that the gunmen were 'imported', rather than being locals, led to the more sensational outcome. I don't think Fred Burke was the 'king of subtle' either.

There's a good bit of interesting info here:

http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id88.htm
http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id91.htm
Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Y View Post
And was this the beginning of disarming law abiding civillian population in Chicago.
Don't know about Chicago, but its what got the Federal government started on working up a plan to ban machine guns, handguns, short rifles/shotguns and suppressors. In the end they dropped the idea of banning handguns, but we largely lost the rest when they passed the National Firearms Act in 1935. While they weren't completely banned the tax stamp idea was meant to discourage their purchase and use, for $200 was a lot of money in those days.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:57 PM

If it happened today I'd guess it was government killing two birds with one stone...

Excuse for new gun laws and getting rid of a problem all at once.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Here's the question Copne or a Purple gang hit? Many have debated it but what do you believe. And was this the beginning of disarming law abiding civillian population in Chicago.
'Copne'? By any chance is that Al Capone? I have no answer to the question as I have never taken the time to study that era - like everybody else, I've seen lots of movies and so-called 'documentaries'. I don't guess it matters who made the hit. The brutality of it definitely spawned the NFA of 1934 which haunts us still. Its the same mindset that gives us 'gun-free zones' - as if declaring a zone 'gun-free' actually means someone intent on murder would not bring a gun into it. All it accomplishes is to turn everyone in the zone into fish in a barrel.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:21 PM

I think Capone did it. At least in the movie he did it.

George Washington
Old 02-17-2017, 12:39 AM

Purple Gang? Aren't they the guys who handle fuel on a carrier?
Old 02-17-2017, 05:24 AM

Who really cares?? Good riddance on the cheap. Somebody did society a favor.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 AM

The only thing I remember is that the whole rhythm section was the Purple Gang .
Old 02-17-2017, 07:24 AM

Albert Anselmi and John Scalise were also considered legitimate
suspects in the hit.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
the only thing i remember is that the whole rhythm section was the purple gang .
lol........
Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 PM

From what I understand, Capone hired out of town muscle from the Purple gang, they were going to supply Capone Canadian booze everything they could haul down to Chicago. With Banyion out of the way, Capone had all of Chicago to supply and would need contracts with the Purple gang. What better to keep yourself out of limelight by hiring another gang to do the hit for you. Banyion was late and another guy who dressed like Banyion entered and was mistaken for him triggered the hit. Banyion, rattled after the hit crumbled and Capone eventually got the North side but it was the end of the roaring twenties.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:12 AM

Quote:
From what I understand, Capone hired out of town muscle from the Purple gang, they were going to supply Capone Canadian booze everything they could haul down to Chicago. With Banyion out of the way, Capone had all of Chicago to supply and would need contracts with the Purple gang. What better to keep yourself out of limelight by hiring another gang to do the hit for you. Banyion was late and another guy who dressed like Banyion entered and was mistaken for him triggered the hit. Banyion, rattled after the hit crumbled and Capone eventually got the North side but it was the end of the roaring twenties.
you meam Moran on the last part of the post right?
O'Banion was out of the way since 1924.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 AM

If you guys ever get out to Vegas and want to see the wall from the massacre they've got it the Mob Museum.

http://themobmuseum.org/artifacts/st...massacre-wall/