Florida lawmakers propose eliminating 'gun-free zones' - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 PM

Florida lawmakers propose eliminating 'gun-free zones'

This is fantastic news. I sure hope this gets passed into law. It sure is time People realize what "Gun Free Zones" really are.

It is so refreshing to see and read stories like this. For so long the Story track was the opposite. Go Florida Go!!!!

Link to Story:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ree-zones.html

Adamg247
US Navy (Ret), Oath Keeper.
"United States Navy - "The Sea is Ours"

Last edited by AdamG247; 02-16-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 02-16-2017, 02:08 PM

Think it's a bill designed to be a Rino hunt. I'll be happy with open carry and campus carry
COTEP #0523
Old 02-16-2017, 02:11 PM

Yeah, I realized this is a long shot! But still refreshing to see it proposed. Maybe a compromise will be the result. Moving in the right direction = Priceless!

Adamg247
US Navy (Ret), Oath Keeper.
"United States Navy - "The Sea is Ours"

Old 02-16-2017, 02:17 PM

Adam the organization that is behind most pro gun arguments for us here in Florida is this.

https://www.floridacarry.org

They ARE the ones who successfully sued the college campuses that were preventing guns in cars as well as multiple others they've argued to our favor.

Please join and contribute.
COTEP#782
Old 02-17-2017, 04:45 AM

The article didn't list all 15 types of locations so I should probably check for myself, but I'm lazy ... wonder if it will include venues hosting sports and entertainment events (stadiums, arenas etc). If so, I'm not expecting it to pass.

The "bar" thing is a gray area as it stands right now ... "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose."

You go out to dinner, the restaurant is busy and they seat you in the bar/section with the bar. Happens often enough. If nothing else this time around, it would be nice if they fixed that.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:04 AM

Florida Carry is pushing hard on lots of bills. We'll end up with some win.
COTEP #0523
Old 02-17-2017, 06:32 AM

As usual the antis suggest that permit holders are the problem.

Quote:
"The idea of allowing permit-holders to take their guns into bars is absurd and incredibly dangerous,” Patti Brigham, co-chairwoman of the Florida Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence, said, according to the Herald. “And just why would we want permit-holders to take guns into polling places?”
We AZ permit holders have been allowed to carry in places that serve alcohol since 2010. 7 years later and not one occurrence of a permit holder causing a problem.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remanaz View Post
As usual the antis suggest that permit holders are the problem.

We AZ permit holders have been allowed to carry in places that serve alcohol since 2010. 7 years later and not one occurrence of a permit holder causing a problem.
They just don't get it and they never will.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM

Scroom
COTEP #0523
Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 AM

Never understand what make anyone think a person inclined to break the law will adhere to gun free zones, drug free zones, etc. They are a figment of the 'We gotta do something" politicians.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Banned

Doubt it will pass however, I will never be able to support the carrying of firearms into a courthouse/courtroom. On a jury last year and liked the idea of going through the metal detector. If I am in the courthouse a lot of emotional life changing things happen there and also desperate people do desperate things. Not a supporter and would in fact, oppose it in Texas if it ever was proposed.

Know many will not agree and go ahead and call me names --- lot of others are of the same opinion they just do not want to put it out there because here people call you names etc.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
Doubt it will pass however, I will never be able to support the carrying of firearms into a courthouse/courtroom. On a jury last year and liked the idea of going through the metal detector. If I am in the courthouse a lot of emotional life changing things happen there and also desperate people do desperate things. Not a supporter and would in fact, oppose it in Texas if it ever was proposed.

Know many will not agree and go ahead and call me names --- lot of others are of the same opinion they just do not want to put it out there because here people call you names etc.
You also lobby your local restaurants to put up no gun signs ...

The 2A needs more friends like you.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Banned

Well ole buddy need to research that one. I spoke to only one and that is one where the owner and I are friends. He was not crazy about the idea of open carry in the restaurant and neither was I. Still am not but the sign was removed and there has never been someone walk in open carrying. This establishment is not of the type where open carry would typically be seen.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Man how do those law abiding people deal with emotional issues outside a courthouse. They are out there shooting people all the time when they get emotional right???? Because a courtroom is the only place where someone could get angry or emotional?

People are going to do what they are going to do no matter what the law says!! Criminals are going to commit crimes no matter what.

Here in Florida, out of the 2.3 Million or so concealed weapon licenses that have been given out since inception of concealed carry in the state, only some 190 or so have been revoked for illegal use of a firearm!!!!

It's something like 0.007%. That's 7 one thousands of 1%. The law enforcement community commit more crimes than that in the form of a percentage!!!!!!

My numbers are not exact, but are close without me going back to look them up.

The facts are simple!!! Concealed carry permit holders (at least in the state of FL) are VERY law abiding and next to none ever use their weapon to commit a crime!!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
Never understand what make anyone think a person inclined to break the law will adhere to gun free zones, drug free zones, etc. They are a figment of the 'We gotta do something" politicians.
A "gun free zone" is an advertisement for a mass murderer or terrorist.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabum View Post
Man how do those law abiding people deal with emotional issues outside a courthouse. They are out there shooting people all the time when they get emotional right???? Because a courtroom is the only place where someone could get angry or emotional?

People are going to do what they are going to do no matter what the law says!! Criminals are going to commit crimes no matter what.

Here in Florida, out of the 2.3 Million or so concealed weapon licenses that have been given out since inception of concealed carry in the state, only some 190 or so have been revoked for illegal use of a firearm!!!!

It's something like 0.007%. That's 7 one thousands of 1%. The law enforcement community commit more crimes than that in the form of a percentage!!!!!!

My numbers are not exact, but are close without me going back to look them up.

The facts are simple!!! Concealed carry permit holders (at least in the state of FL) are VERY law abiding and next to none ever use their weapon to commit a crime!!!!
To enter into the Courthouse in my county going through a metal detector and x ray is required. Do not see that changing here.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Well ole buddy need to research that one. I spoke to only one and that is one where the owner and I are friends. He was not crazy about the idea of open carry in the restaurant and neither was I. Still am not but the sign was removed and there has never been someone walk in open carrying. This establishment is not of the type where open carry would typically be seen.
Wouldn't take much research, just a search of your posts and a few minutes of time. No worries though, I won't bother. I remember what you posted.

The last sentence in my previous post stands.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudanum View Post
Wouldn't take much research, just a search of your posts and a few minutes of time. No worries though, I won't bother. I remember what you posted.

The last sentence in my previous post stands.
Never mind you are not worth my time. Go back to your chili.

Last edited by Busa Dave; 02-17-2017 at 01:28 PM.