1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-14-2017, 04:14 PM

Colt Defender flush fit mags.

Hello all,

Sorry in advance for redundancy but I cannot seem to find all the answers in past threads. I am looking for replacement mags for my 9mm Colt Defender. I have read and been told numerous times that the factory issued ones are bad news because of the metal followers in them. I see everyone states Wilson makes some of the best ones but I want to find replacements that are flush fit. All of the Wilson Combat mags seem to protrude from the grip bottom.
It also appears that some of the Wilson, CM and tripp mags have metal followers as well...

Any recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wadely; 02-15-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM

Where did you hear that the metal followers are bad news? I'm not so sure I believe that, but anyway, Midway has some. Brownells was out of stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/208...-7-round-steel

The only person a Gun Free Zone protects is the person doing the shooting.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 AM

If you are avoiding any follower, it would be the Devel follower Chip McCormick uses. They have a reputation for tipping out of the mag tube and dinging aluminum feed ramps, assuming your Defender has a non-ramped barrel and an aluminum frame. This is a non-issue for steel framed guns or guns with a ramped barrel.

There are no other followers known for dinging feed ramps, even Chip McCormick offers their Power+ follower that is advertised as aluminum frame safe.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM

As an aside, while I understand the desire for the utmost in concealment, I think the desire for flush fit mags is overdone. Does your Glock have a flush baseplate? Your Beretta 92? Your M&P? Your XD? Your HK?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM

GI followers would be fine. Wilson's polymer follower won't tip out. Tripp's hybrid follower won't tip out. CheckMate offer's their patented follower (CMF) that is similar to McCormick's, but adds a front leg or bullnose, that keeps the follower in the tube. MetalForm has a round top follower that isn't going to tip out. There are lots and lots of options. As I said above, anything but the Devel follower, and you're fine.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM

I have had no problems with my Colt 9 mm magazines for my Defender. Incidentally, they don't look at all like the magazine shown in the Midway ad.
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 02-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
If you are avoiding any follower, it would be the Devel follower Chip McCormick uses. They have a reputation for tipping out of the mag tube and dinging aluminum feed ramps, assuming your Defender has a non-ramped barrel and an aluminum frame. This is a non-issue for steel framed guns or guns with a ramped barrel.

There are no other followers known for dinging feed ramps, even Chip McCormick offers their Power+ follower that is advertised as aluminum frame safe.
I was having a couple FTF issues and was doing some research, including on these forums. I found many posts talking about the OEM colt mags causing the issue and some people also stating that they would gouge or scrape the feed ramp. How can I tell if the followers in my mags are the DEVEL type?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:09 PM

AndyC has a picture in this thread showing the different followers.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=407928

The Chip McCormick follower, the Devel follower, is the only one that has a reputation of dinging feed ramps. Everything else should be just fine.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
AndyC has a picture in this thread showing the different followers.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=407928

The Chip McCormick follower, the Devel follower, is the only one that has a reputation of dinging feed ramps. Everything else should be just fine.
Yea I've seen that diagram before and mine look like the ones on the right middle that are labeled as metalform.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadely View Post
Yea I've seen that diagram before and mine look like the ones on the right middle that are labeled as metalform.
That is a standard GI follower. I would not expect any problems with that follower.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:42 PM

Use your mags and just get spring/follower replacements.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Awesome, thank you very much for the help. The picture posted lower in that thread is one I had scene previously that made me think I may need replacements. I did order some Wilson mags anyway so now I will have extra.

Thanks a million!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Use your mags and just get spring/follower replacements.
I received a couple new wilson mags, same type followers as the standard Colt mags the gun came with. I have put about 500 rounds through it now and when I was cleaning over the weekend i did notice a lot of "scrapes" on the frame/feedramp. Not specifically gouged or chipped but there is definitely scraping going on. Not sure if this is normal or not but to be proactive I have been looking for the nylon followers and cannot seem to find them.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
... I have been looking for the nylon followers and cannot seem to find them.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Replacem...s/products/57/
Old 03-06-2017, 02:35 PM

You could also use the CheckMate patented follower (CMF) with the "bullnose" front leg. Ordering from CheckMate seems to be tough, but Tripp offers the same follower as their "flex" follower. There is also Tripp's standard "hybrid" follower.

https://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html
Old 03-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
You could also use the CheckMate patented follower (CMF) with the "bullnose" front leg. Ordering from CheckMate seems to be tough, but Tripp offers the same follower as their "flex" follower. There is also Tripp's standard "hybrid" follower.

It appears the Nylon and hybrid are only available for the 45 not the 9mm. I had previously checked both of those sites as well as Buds and Brownell...no such luck. Wilson said the 9mm mags with nylon followers were discontinued.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Sorry. When my brain thinks 1911, it thinks .45 ACP.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:02 PM

I run Checkmates in my Defender.
Same mags as Colt issues.
They have the CMF follower that cannot ding the frame.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Tripp does offer that CheckMate follower in 9mm.

You could order from CheckMate, but guys are reporting long delays in product delivery. I'm not sure any of the retailers offering CheckMate mags offer's parts for the mags.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taroman View Post
I run Checkmates in my Defender.
Same mags as Colt issues.
They have the CMF follower that cannot ding the frame.
Where can I find those, any idea?

This link is for the same type followers my factory Colt mags and wilson mag use.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Spring_F...fo/500SFK9-10/
Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM

I am assuming these mags may be the ones I need. Great price also, just need stock...

I did find these also, you guys think these are the same and will work?

Last edited by Wadely; 03-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Where can I find those, any idea?
See the Tripp link I gave above. It is their "flex follower".

You can also order direct from CheckMate, but they really are in the manufacturing business and their retail business is not their strong suit.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/in...ries&cateid=18

Here's a post from Mike Chasse from Thunder Mountain Custom (who is a CheckMate retailer) regarding ordering directly from CheckMate

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...t=#post7915721
Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 PM

Yea I looked on Tripp with the link you gave me but the follower there says it is a 10rd flex folllower.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Yea I looked on Tripp with the link you gave me but the follower there says it is a 10rd flex folllower.
That's because Tripp only offer's a 10 round 9mm mag. It is the same follower CheckMate uses in their variety of mags that use their CMF, from extended tube, to the compact mags.

My understanding has always been the CheckMate follower uses a proprietary spring (Wolff hadn't listed a spring for the CheckMate CMF in the past. I don't know if they do now) so I don't know if you can just swap followers and use your current springs.

Here is the complete compact 9mm CheckMate mag from Top Gun Supply

http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-ma...-magazine.html

Note in the post from Mike Chasse (I linked above), he comments they have ordered followers and springs from CheckMate. They may have them in by now. You could check with them to see if they can cover your needs.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 PM

I think I may order some of those flex followers from Tripp and see how they work out. The Check-mate mags seem to be sold out everywhere!

You have been a huge help, much appreciated.