Tritium and FO front sights - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Old 02-13-2017, 11:00 PM

Tritium and FO front sights

As a Deputy in a relative small agency, approximately 60 sworn, our department policy does not require us to have tritium sights. Some do and some don't.

Our last night qualification with carbine and pistol did however emphasize the importance of having lights attached (also not required) as those that did, fared much better than those that did not. Even those who used tritium only did not do as well. Of course with a weapon light, the tritium is washed out.

My thoughts on tritium for LE is that it's better to have them in the event of not having time or being able to activate a weapon light. Or in the event the batteries are dead. There are Truglo TFO and Trijicon HD sights which are excellent though they do not fit all pistols.

A lot of tritium sights however seem to be a trade off. You can see them at night, but not much if any enhancement during the day. Which brings me to my question. With all of the options for the commercial buying public, and the added enhancement of daytime use, does anyone consider FO sights a viable option for LE use? To the best of my knowledge, no one in our department is using them on duty. Curious if anything has changed. The new Sig Legion and Tactical models appear to have some form of the Truglo TFO sights.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:04 AM

Truglo day / night sights are real good for old eyes.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Truglo day / night sights are real good for old eyes.

Probably the best of both worlds. The only possible advantage of FO I can see is being able to have a more narrow front sight blade allowing for more light.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 AM

Tritium front & plain rear

I've ran a Trijicon front with a plain Novak rear for 20+ years. It's the best set-up for me even with a tactlight. I find the green dot in the square notch and put on target.

I run this combination on all my 1911s, G17 & G19 plus an older S&W auto.

I think the new Trijicon HD sights are outstanding. My buddy has the bright orange dot on a Gen4 FDE G17 with a U-notch -- It's Awesome. The front sight jumps into the rear notch.

I'd stay away from FO on a duty gun. I have a FO on my STI racegun plus spare rods and superglue. Why? They break and fly off. I can fix it with a lighter and superglue on the range.

K-I-S-S. Keep it Simple. I'm partial to Trijicon because I've used them for years. My dept. issues Gen4 G17 & G21SF with Trijicon sights. Our issued AR's have the Trijicon front; your eye naturally wants to center the dot in the rear aperture.

Just my $.02. Don't over think. Browse the Trijicon site. A duty gun needs two things: A good trigger and fixed visible night sights.

What gun are you looking to outfit?

Fazer
Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 AM

I have Truglo sights on a couple of my new 1911s and they seem to work very well.

Before you start collecting 1911s .... buy books! Collect "quality" not something that you'll be forever making excuses for, and buy the gun not the story behind it.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 AM

i have used truglo on 2 1911. they do work great my only complaint is the the front sight is a little wide for my liking. really not a huge deal as it still allows for accuracy and quick sight accusition
Old 02-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer386 View Post
I'd stay away from FO on a duty gun. I have a FO on my STI racegun plus spare rods and superglue. Why? They break and fly off. I can fix it with a lighter and superglue on the range.

What gun are you looking to outfit?

Fazer
Agreed the FO is probably the least durable front sight. However if you cant see the front sight, something needs to change. The HDs are great as well as the Truglo.

Wilson CQB, and CZ 75. Wilson uses their own proprietary dovetail. The CZ will accept the Truglo TFO.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:16 PM

My wife had Truglo TFO sights on her Glocks and she loved them. She passed away 7 years ago but the last time I looked at her Glocks, they were still on there and still working. My Ed Brown Special Forces came with 10-8 sights (U notch rear, tritium front). They work pretty well. I think their Figure 8 sights would be pretty good also.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:21 PM

On my carry/duty guns over time I've switched to Dawson white outline tritium front sights and plain black rear sights, either 10-8 or Harrision.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:54 PM

Another vote for TruGlo tritium/fiber optic sights. They glow like crazy day and night and are the best sights I've ever used.
I only wish that they were made for many more type of pistols.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 02-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Put a set of TruGlo TFO sights on my Sig P220 when the original sights began to dim. Love them. Plan on putting them on my second P220.