Deer on property = food - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Deer on property = food

Likes all guns, cheap and expensive, tiny and large.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 PM

You sir, appear to be a barbarian and a meat eater. Can I have the liver for breakfast?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

Yes, it's nice to have wilderness to rely on for a food source in the event of an emergency. The problem is that many Wall Streeters wouldn't have clue where to find, let alone kill, a deer in a SHTF scenario. Once the local 7-11 is pillaged out of Twinkies, they're screwed. Oh well, more food for me (and you.)

Last edited by shane45-1911; 02-13-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 PM

That's nice I, wake up most mornings to does grazing in my yard ,sometimes a fawn or two as well. There are bass and crappie in the lake, squirrels in the trees, even a small property can provide all the food a family needs.
From the hills.....
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM

In A SHTF scenario, why mess with deer?
I know a few pastures full of beef!!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM

I agree it is nice to have a natural food supply available. The problem in a real serious SHTF scenario are the idiots who kill a deer or another large animal for a pound of meat and let the rest go to waste and then do the same thing a few days later.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Then take them out of the food chain or teach them the right way to go about providing for their needs.

I LIKE REAL WEAPONS, NOT PLASTIC ONES!
DAN WESSON PATRIOT MARKSMAN, SIG NIGHTMARE CARRY AND DETONICS COMBAT MASTER CUSTOM
Old 02-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Meat eater sure. I am an omnivore so it is all good.

Eating the neighbors cattle. No, that would be illegal and not a sign of being prepared. I am sure it would be cattle rustling and everyone in our area has hi-powered rifles. Most of our neighbors are Amish and know how to live off the grid. Using real horse power. We have enough pasture for grazing a horse and some cattle.

We heat with wood and have a 500 gallon fuel tank. Two of our cars are old school diesels, no computers. Eventually we would be out of fuel but it is a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400cor-bon View Post
In A SHTF scenario, why mess with deer?
I know a few pastures full of beef!!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:49 AM

I own four acres, mostly yard some wooded. For some reason there is a funnel here that promotes feeding in my back yard. I can't keep enough corn in my feeding area and it is not uncommon to see numerous deer out there. The most I have seen is 17 at one time.

Hopefully my preparation outside of whitetails is enough, but the option is there.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Yeah once you get the fur off and the guts out you get to the good part!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06426.jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Good old venison ^^^^. Not the hotel in Las Vegas either.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMorr View Post
...kill a deer or another large animal for a pound of meat and let the rest go to waste and then do the same thing a few days later.
If its wintertime it'll keep.

If it's summertime you'll have jerky!
Old 02-15-2014, 01:49 AM

I hope you realize I was kidding with my 1st post? I'm a licensed guide and hunt all the time. Our problem is the deer getting into our garden and eating the fruits of our labors. Wouldn't be so bad but they don't do any planting or plowing either!
It is great to live someplace where wild life comes onto your property or you can at least see them on a regular basis. In the past 6 months I've seen deer, elk, bear, mountain sheep, and coyotes in the city limits.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:39 AM

When the SHTF, if for a very short while, many people will starve to death. Our wild population will be gone in less than a month folks.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renigeid View Post
Our wild population will be gone in less than a month folks.
Not a chance. Most people will disappear long before all wildlife. Animals know how to survive - most people barely know how to live, let alone survive.

Last edited by shane45-1911; 02-15-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM

The zombies will resort to cannibalism almost right away. That's sort of like finding out the roaches are eating each other. Not a problem. I hope we never see these days in America but I wouldn't bet against it. This is the reason they're trying so hard to get our guns, so we can be rounded up and sent to the 'camps'. Sounds eerily familiar, doesn't it?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38357 View Post
Meat eater sure. I am an omnivore so it is all good.

Eating the neighbors cattle. No, that would be illegal and not a sign of being prepared. I am sure it would be cattle rustling and everyone in our area has hi-powered rifles. Most of our neighbors are Amish and know how to live off the grid. Using real horse power. We have enough pasture for grazing a horse and some cattle.

We heat with wood and have a 500 gallon fuel tank. Two of our cars are old school diesels, no computers. Eventually we would be out of fuel but it is a plan.
It's nice to have neighbors that respect each other BUT we are talking about SHTF, there will be NO LAW, others will come and try to take what you or your neighbors have.
If SHTF happens, with in 30 days there will be Millions of dead mostly form dehydration [3 days no water] then up to 30 days with no food.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM

There is always law, Gods Law.

Do you think that looting or theft is OK and won't be met with superior firepower? We have a plan to secure our area and help our neighbors too.

Not sure how prepared you are but if you don't have a years supply of food and water, get started.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I'd add that even on a good day, without a blanket of snow, law enforcement is 45 minutes to an hour away. We are expected to stay in control until then. So what if 45 minutes becomes 3 weeks. The rule of law is what ever I or my neighbors think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
It's nice to have neighbors that respect each other BUT we are talking about SHTF, there will be NO LAW, others will come and try to take what you or your neighbors have.
If SHTF happens, with in 30 days there will be Millions of dead mostly form dehydration [3 days no water] then up to 30 days with no food.

Last edited by 38357; 02-15-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Kind of a shame when someones survival plan in a SHTF situation is to steal from their neighbors.
Doesn't that basically make them the "zombies" themselves?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:21 PM

That photo makes the deer look like they're out running on a fitness track through the woods. Sort of like the one they built on Smoke Bomb Hill at Ft. Bragg back in the early 90s. Nearly ran (literally) over a small copperhead laying across the skinny trail when we took a short cut. That'll learn me.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 02-15-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 PM

Amos, we have a lot of pics of deer. Almost all are grazing, that is what I liked, action.

MARK, I am afraid for a lot of people.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM

Now if you could just get em trained to the track you could start a new sport. Deer Racing. Not sure how you'd get em moving though.

Horses and ostriches have riders. Greyhounds have the fake furry critter they chase. I guess you could use a bit of deer tail with some doe in heat scent, but that would only work for racing bucks and only during rut. Which of course would clash with hunting season in a lot of places so that would really clash in so many ways. None of them good for the deer or the newly formed sport.

Ya know some places have rules that if you are having notable deer damage to your crops or garden you can take them legally. Something to think about.

Of course the old gardening rule was plant three times what you need. One third for the bugs, one third for the critters, and one third of it was for you. I'm just thinking that deer and bunnies fattened on one third of a garden would then taste mighty good afterwards. Heheh.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM

We have an orchard that we have been fighing the deer over . We finally resorted to stringing fish line around it after sinking posts at each corner. You space the strands a foot apart. Deer can't see the fish line walk into them and spook.

We've found broken strands on 3 occasions but so far no further damage to our trees. Until then they were grazing the trees down to sticks.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM

While deer are a nuisance, those buggers are athletic and beautiful to watch in full sprint. We would sometimes kick some up riding in the fields on motorcycles and could keep up with in the open. In the woods, no way. Oh yeah, they are pretty tasty too!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane45-1911 View Post
Not a chance. Most people will disappear long before all wildlife. Animals know how to survive - most people barely know how to live, let alone survive.
This. Disease, dehydration, famine, etc. The majority of people these days don't have the first clue how to truly survive. Deer will be a natural resource for quite some time.