New Valor DT 9mm - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 09:23 PM

New Valor DT 9mm

Just picked up a NIB duty treat Valor on Tuesday.

Initial impressions Fit and finish: Slide to frame fit was rock solid back behind the slide stop pin. A bit of wiggle/rattle out towards the front sight when you shake it, but when well oiled felt very solid. Trigger was crisp but felt a touch heavy. Thumb safety was also crisp but a touch heavy. I imagine that both of these will settle in nicely with some rounds down range. The gun is superbly finished with no machine marks and nice even duty treat finish. The checkering was nicely executed and all parts were fit together nicely. While the bushing could be turned pretty easily by hand there was no play in the barrel.

At the range:
Took it out today to run some rounds through it. My last DW was a PM9. I has a failure to completely go into battery with every round of the first hundred rounds. After that it settled in and has never had a problem since. This gun fired the first hundred rounds slicker than snot. Shot 50 115 gr JHP federal 9bp, and 50 blazer brass 124 jrn. Switched over to the american eagle 147 flat point and had a 3 point stoppage on the 3rd round, but ran through the rest of the 50 with no problems. Magazines appear to be of the Leatham/Springfield Armory metalform style. Accuracy seemed very good. First time in a long time shooting indoors, and not used to shooting under low artificial light but the gun had no problem keeping the rounds under 3" at 20 yards offhand. I'd be surprised if the gun couldn't do that at 25 yards off hand under better conditions and under 2" rested at 25 yards. Shots all seemed to be an inch or two low at 20 yards, but will wait for some more range time to decide whether to change out the front sight. I'll try to update after shooting it outside when it warms up. Overall I'm very pleased with the gun and look forward to putting lots of rounds downrange with it. If I had to change anything, I wish the slide frame fit had been a touch tighter, but realistically I'm not sure that it matters that much. In all fairness to DW, I'm comparing the gun to a Wilson and 2 Les Baers.

Last edited by mike454; 02-14-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:33 AM

Congrats on a fine looking DW
Old 02-14-2020, 11:40 AM

Great choice, Congrats!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 PM

Nice! You'll love it! Here's how my 9mm Valor ended up. It's going to be my new IDPA Carry Optic pistol for 2020 replacing my Kimber KHX which will retire to backup duty tho I don't suspect it will get called upon too much.
Attached Thumbnails
20191225_105849.jpg  
Old 02-21-2020, 02:46 PM

Thanks guys, and great looking Valor Liggett! Really like this gun and find it compares well to the Wilson and Baers. I've only been able to put 300 rounds through it so far and no wear at all on the DT finish. The rails still look brand new. Still getting a very ocassional misfeed, but am thinking that may be mag related (not the DW supplied mag) I'll try to isolate the culprit, but for now just just making empty brass and having fun.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:47 PM

Is that a 5” Valor in 9mm? I want one so bad. Congrats on your new DW.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post
Is that a 5Ē Valor in 9mm? I want one so bad. Congrats on your new DW.
Yes, Have a pm9 and a wilson classic in 9mm as well. After years of shooting and reloading for 45 acp 1911s it feels kind of weird to leave the range and not be a little sore from picking up brass to reload
Old 02-21-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike454 View Post
Yes, Have a pm9 and a wilson classic in 9mm as well. After years of shooting and reloading for 45 acp 1911s it feels kind of weird to leave the range and not be a little sore from picking up brass to reload
I have the jones for a new 1911 in 9mm. Considering a discontinued STI Trojan NIB, STI Stacatto R or a Dan Wesson PM9 since I canít find full size Valor in 9mm.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeedaudio View Post
I have the jones for a new 1911 in 9mm. Considering a discontinued STI Trojan NIB, STI Stacatto R or a Dan Wesson PM9 since I canít find full size Valor in 9mm.
PM sent