Next addition - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 08:38 PM

Next addition

So Iím at the point where I am ready to consider the next addition to my USGI 1911 Collection. Iíve been very thankful to have been helped on this site to make sure Iíve made the right choices so far. With help here I have added A nice Colt, Ithaca and Lend Lease Remington Rand to my collection. Iím at the point where I would like to make my next purchase. Looking for help on what direction to go next. Iíd love to add US&S but it would have to be the right deal. A nice Dulite Colt is a thought. If you guys donít mind please tell me your thoughts on what direction to look. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:44 PM

How about something with a British proof mark? A nod to our allies across the pond.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:49 PM

I'm fond of National Matches produced by SA. Hard to find but they're out there.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Doesn't sound like you have a WW1-era example yet. That would be my vote.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:20 PM

Did Colt use Dulite ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ray View Post
How about something with a British proof mark? A nod to our allies across the pond.
I have a very nice British Lend Lease Remington Rand. That said i wouldnít mind adding an LL Colt or Ithaca if the opportunity struck.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=dsk;13066146]Doesn't sound like you have a WW1-era example yet. That would be my vote.[/QUOTE

No Sir I donít. What would be your suggestion for a WWI example? The early ones scare me as I havenít researched them enough.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Get a basic 1918-vintage Colt. Plenty out there so you can be choosy regarding condition. If you get one of the really early ones you'll be paying a lot for them as they're quite rare, but 1918 was a banner year with the war in full swing so a boatload of them were made.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Get a basic 1918-vintage Colt. Plenty out there so you can be choosy regarding condition. If you get one of the really early ones you'll be paying a lot for them as they're quite rare, but 1918 was a banner year with the war in full swing so a boatload of them were made.
Thank you DSK. I have learned that there is the ďeveryday street valueĒ and the value you guys here like to hold out for. My collection so far is of high condition and Iíd like to continue that way. What would I want to pay for a very nice 1918 Colt?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:44 PM

The question should be what do you want your collecting and collection to be, represent? In my case I started with WWII pistols, a field I thought would be relatively small (not true). I have one or more from each year, 1941-1945, and each manufacturer (excluding Singer). The level of detail includes blued and parkerized 1941 Colts, series one and two du-lite Remington Rands, a 1942 Colt commercial to government conversion, a Navy Ithaca, so on and so on and so on. Heck, in 1945 Colt made pistols with two different finishes, two different serial number fonts and even two different government inspector initials. Union Switch and Signal made pistols with three different slide proof mark configurations. Who would have "thunk" it starting out?
My advice would be keep it defined, focused and shoot for top quality. And oh yeah, think about the checkbook.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder7 View Post
What would I want to pay for a very nice 1918 Colt?
Good ones start just north of two grand. From there they can get crazy depending on just how clean they really are and whether they're one of the transitional variations from early 1918. A mid-1918 and later "Black Army" will be the most affordable, but it's tough to find one where the finish is still in great shape.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
The question should be what do you want your collecting and collection to be, represent? In my case I started with WWII pistols, a field I thought would be relatively small (not true). I have one or more from each year, 1941-1945, and each manufacturer (excluding Singer). The level of detail includes blued and parkerized 1941 Colts, series one and two du-lite Remington Rands, a 1942 Colt commercial to government conversion, a Navy Ithaca, so on and so on and so on. Heck, in 1945 Colt made pistols with two different finishes, two different serial number fonts and even two different government inspector initials. Union Switch and Signal made pistols with three different slide proof mark configurations. Who would have "thunk" it starting out?
My advice would be keep it defined, focused and shoot for top quality. And oh yeah, think about the checkbook.
Thank you for your perspective. My collection in general is WWII based so it makes sense that I continue in that direction. As you said I really had no plans but to obtain a few representatives of the war era. That was a good idea but Iím definitely bitten by the bug and plan to pursue the military 1911s extensively. There are as you said so many directions to go.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:20 PM

I'm on board with dsk. Since you don't have a WWI example, I think that would be a fitting piece to add to your collection. I prefer a 1918, since that's such as iconic year for the 1911 being during wartime. However, there's just something cool about having a really old one that oges back closer to the start of production. He's given you good advice that sends you in the right direction, so there's not too much I can add to it. I'll just say that my vote is for the WWI example. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:42 PM
Administrator

The bottom line is, buy what you like. I've known guys who owned ten examples of one make and model simply because they were so in love with them. It's your collection.