How Are Your Bifocals Set Up - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 08:40 AM

How Are Your Bifocals Set Up

Is the close up vision on the bottom or the top of the glasses? Did you ever switch it around?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Mine are on the bottom. It's a lot easier to drive tilting your head slightly down (eyes up) than vice versa. That's the way it is for me at least.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:17 AM

Im assuming you're looking at this from a shooting/front sight perspective....
When I had bifocals, I had what they called "double Ds" or "occupational " lensesmade- near at the bottom, distance in the middle, and a segment of near at the top. Hard to find someone's do do this, but it worked well.
I've since had refractive eye surgery to correct my distance vision- but still need readers. I can pick up the front sight OK without glasses, but much better with a 1.5 magnification. What I did for my Oakleys is order some static adhesive 1.5 reading inserts from Amazon, cut them to fit, and adhered the pieces to the lens in appropriate spots.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 09:17 AM

I've tried every combination of lens set up. The end result is always a sharp front sight. My primary purpose was for precision pistol events.

I finally settled on strong side eye for front sight and weak side for distance that works fine for both action pistol and precision pistol. It takes very little to get used to and no headache!

Most importantly find an optometrist that understands the needs of shooters. Go to the Bullseye-L forum and search for the thread on prescription eye glasses for shooting. Print out the technical stuff and take that with you to your appointment.

We had a heck of a time getting lenses ground to my specific prescription. Their set up must use and "average" or some such nonsense!

Full disclosure I have three sets of glasses in my shooting gear. Each has a specific use depending on course of fire. Yeah, I'm anal!

Now the final disclosure, I'm completely switched to Red Dots for general range use even rifle (Home defense .223 AR and 9mm PCC!) inside 150 yards. NO correction other than my daily eye wear!

For EDC typical 3 dot sights work OK for EDC distances. Night sights are preferred considering the typical EDC ranges.

All the best,

Last edited by jjfitch; 02-08-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:26 AM

I don’t shoot with bifocals, I have a pair of glasses specifically for shooting. I have one lens for my dominant eye with magnification for a clear front sight and the other lens for distance sight.....works great for me.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:54 AM

One of the few advantages of getting old. Cataract surgery (if that is your issue) no glasses for shooting. I’m not suggesting you be in a hurry, just pointing out it is fun when you take off your glasses and your kids put theirs on.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:40 PM

I use Ameriglo or TFX sights. I can see them good enough to be accurate looking through the distance viewing portion of my bi focals. The "add" on my bifocals is 2.0. I can see good enough to read this without my glasses or through any section of my glasses. I had an instructor tell me to look though the distance/center part of my glasses as long as I could see the sight. I'm sure everyones individual vision is going to determine what they need to do. Tilting your head back to look through the reading part of your bifocals would result in bad posture, and possibly a bad stance too.

I'm an auto mechanic. I've got some +1.25 clip on/ folding reading lenses I use when I'm working under a car, or under a dash. A few years ago I had problems with my neck caused by tilting my head back to look though my bifocals when working under cars.

I occasionally shoot without my glasses. If someone broke into my house during the middle of the night I doubt they'd be willing to wait for me to put my glasses on.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I finally settled on strong side eye for front sight and weak side for distance that works fine for both action pistol and precision pistol. It takes very little to get used to and no headache!
Me, too. I have been using monovision pistol shooting glasses for some time.
To the naysayers who tell me I won't have time to change glasses under assault, I can report that my progressives are adequate at any range those naysayers consider reasonable for self defense.
Now I have to try with no glasses (or plano safety glasses) to see how well I can do on the Bump In The Night.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:10 PM

Night sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Me, too. I have been using monovision pistol shooting glasses for some time.
To the naysayers who tell me I won't have time to change glasses under assault, I can report that my progressives are adequate at any range those naysayers consider reasonable for self defense.
Now I have to try with no glasses (or plano safety glasses) to see how well I can do on the Bump In The Night.
Both my home defense pistols wear night sights. No issues at "in home" distances. Practicing point shooting for many years helps too. Prior to retiring I regularily shoot "qualifying" scores with a G17 and no sights. I used it as a training tool when Deputies blamed their gun's sights for poor scores!
Old 02-08-2020, 09:20 PM

My shooting glasses are med focus only right lens and long focus only left lens. That's bi-focal, right?
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:29 PM

According to my eye Doctor my eyesight isn't my problem.
Attached Thumbnails
trigger control.jpg  
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:07 PM

I have regular progressive lens and don't notice any issues with mine. I took me a little while to adjust to them but for the last several years, I have not noticed them at all regardless of what I do. I unconsciously tilt my head to look through the part of the lens that works the best,
Old 02-14-2020, 01:41 AM

My latest glasses are occupational trifocals.

They have near bifocal vision on the bottom of the lenses as usual with distance vision above the bifocals and intermediate distance trifocals at the top of the lenses.

The trifocals are perfect for seeing sights and computer use.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:11 AM

Mine is on the bottom. The line is exactly at the bottom of the pupil for both eyes. I need them for reading and close-up work.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:48 PM

I've tried bifocals and progressives and they were both useless so I stick with single focus for everything. I have a pair for reading, computer and pistol shooting. Rifles and RDSs I go uncorrected.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM

I wore bifocals for about 20 years and never really liked them. If I really want to clearly see anything up close, the glasses come off. A few months ago I got another pair of bifocals. Bought with polycarbonate lenses from an online outfit for about $75, vs about $350 in the stores. So after I got them, I thought at those prices I'll get a single vision pair for driving, shooting, walking, most everything, really. Less than 50 bucks, and I haven't worn the bifocals since. Far vision lenses work fine for me for shooting.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1127 View Post
Is the close up vision on the bottom or the top of the glasses? Did you ever switch it around?

Thanks
I use these for handgun (top focal). Although, for whatever reason i do go back and forth.

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-...967d5dcd&_ss=r