Colt 22 conversion - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 10:19 PM

Colt 22 conversion

I have acquired a Colt 22 conversion on a 1924 transition lower that is marked US GOVERNMENT PROPERTY. The lower is lettered as shipped to Springfield Armory as a .45 cal. This conversion does not have the sliding chamber. The slide is marked COLT AUTOMATIC CAL.22 LONG RIFLE with the pony. Left side has the usual COLT'S PT FA MFG HARTFORD CT USA with the line of patent dates. I have 2 Colt 22 marked magazines and they are quite different from each other Have only been able to try one of them so far and it was a jam-o-matic. This was a while back and when the weather get's better I will try the other one. The slide is blued steel. Just wondering what I have. It's not an ACE.Thanks for any help.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:50 PM

This will require some pic's. The only non floating chamber version that I'm aware of was from the mid 90's but it had a aluminum slide and was marked ACE II. Please post some pic's.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:40 AM
1911 Aficionado

All vintage Colt conversions have the floating chamber.
The earlier .22 Ace had its own frame that differed from a standard Government Model frame, so the problem is probably related to the DIY nature of combining an Ace top end with an M1911A1 frame.
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 10:00 AM

We are going to need pictures.
I cannot find mention of an ACE that is marked "COLT AUTOMATIC CAL.22 LONG RIFLE."
That is the roll mark used on a Woodsman. Maybe they used it on the occasional ACE.
All I see illustrated are "Colt ACE .22 Long Rifle" with the ACE in a diamond.

There were two slightly different ACE magazines, neither of which is like the Service Model ACE magazine.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 02-09-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:19 AM

I will try to post pictures today.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:25 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	574358 Hopes this comes out alright, I'm still learning Apple.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:29 PM
1911 Aficionado

Wow, no idea what that is.
Never seen an Ace that didn't have an adjustable rear sight, and never seen one that didn't have an "ACE" rollmark on the right side.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:55 PM

Is there such a thing as a "pre Ace", like a "pre Woodsman"?
Old 02-09-2020, 07:07 PM
1911 Aficionado

I've seen a pic of Ace serial number one, and that's as early as it gets.
The rollmark is very rough, seemingly applied after the slide was polished, which is not how things were done in the '30s.
More pics!

Last edited by RickB; 02-09-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:32 PM

Mechanically it is an "Original ACE" upper, not a Colt Conversion. I am not surprised it didn't work. But try the other magazine anyhow.

Details are unlike any I have seen. Roll mark is as for Woodsman, not ACE. Fixed sight is not the standard. I wonder if it was a parts cleanup after the main production run.
High % hot blue, the stacked leather washer buffer looks excellent.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:02 PM

It does look like the roll marks were done after polishing. I have some other older Colts and the difference shows. They are well done with good spacing and strait lines. After looking at my 1924 pre woodsman the roll mark is exactly the same. I'm leaning towards a shop project by someones machinest, Colt or Springfield Army? The frame was shipped as a 45 to Springfield in 1924. The barrel is solid with integral chamber. Who knows, it may be impossible to ever know. It is hard to imagine a complete ACE being separated but anything is possible. Weather is getting better so I should get out and give it a good trial this week. I'll update.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	73E62836-97A4-4323-8AA3-CA9C2504DED0_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	1,018.1 KB
ID:	574690 Got to try the two magazines yesterday. Both magazines are marked 22lr on the base. The one on the left only holds 8rds and functioned fine with cci minimags 40gr. The one on the right holds 10rds and would not completely feed the first 3rds and then feed the last 7rds of cci minimags 40gr. Neither mag would feed cci velocitors reliably. I accept it for what it is, a vintage 1911 22 conversion range toy of unknown history. It bounces 12ga hulls at 50ft no problem and kind of fun and relaxing. I have some nice Colt Match Target pistols when I feel the need.

Last edited by TCOV; 02-13-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:40 PM

The one on the left or the other left?

Now that is straightened out...

The magazine on the RIGHT looks like a Service Model ACE or Conversion Kit magazine. Surprising it works at all, even with only seven.

The one on the left is an "original ACE" magazine suited to your upper. I don't know why it only holds eight, catalog is ten.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 02-13-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:44 PM

Looks like you have components from a pre-WWII Colt Ace. The barrel, ejector, and magazine look exactly like the components off of my pre-war Ace. The recoil spring guide rod from the Ace had these leather buffers. Does your barrel have the marking as shown in my pic?

Old 02-13-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
The one on the left or the other left?
The magazine on the RIGHT looks like a Service Model ACE or Conversion Kit magazine. The one on the left is an "original ACE" magazine suited to your upper.
Fixed it. Thanks for the information. The one on the left "original ACE" only holds 8 rounds and has a spiral spring that fits in the rounded front of the magazine and is the reliable one. Eight rounds seems uncommon for a full size 22lr.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:50 PM

Hey, wonder what would happen if I stacked buffers on the SM ACE.
Slide stop wouldn't t reach but maybe it would feed better.

Got it. As I said, it is listed at ten.
I'd settle for eight and not monkey with it, it is pretty much irreplaceable.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
Looks like you have components from a pre-WWII Colt Ace. The barrel, ejector, and magazine look exactly like the components off of my pre-war Ace. The recoil spring guide rod from the Ace had these leather buffers. Does your barrel have the marking as shown in my pic?

The barrel on mine does not have any markings but looks like yours. The magazine looks like your with a couple slight differences in the profile of the follower. The follower catches and holds open the slide on the last round but the other magazine does not.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Hey, wonder what would happen if I stacked buffers on the SM ACE.
Slide stop wouldn't t reach but maybe it would feed better.

Got it. As I said, it is listed at ten.
I'd settle for eight and not monkey with it, it is pretty much irreplaceable.
I'm ok with 8rds but thought it different from the standard full size 22lr. It functioned perfect and I will try some other brands ammo next time out. The slide locks open on the follower for last round. It has to be manually moved to the slide lock to remove the mag and keep the slide open. It is a satisfying pistol for range shooting, heavy enough, no recoil, decent trigger, accurate enough for entertainment, maybe even better than that. I just don't know yet.

Last edited by TCOV; 02-13-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:19 PM

Here in Honolulu the only let us load 5 rounds at the public range, although no one seems to mind if you show up with a 10 shot .22 revolver.

I picked up a conversion kit with an old SM mag as a spare. The first time I took it out to the range it started going full auto--what was neat was that all 5 rounds fed, cycled and fired with no problems (other than going full auto) and I could even keep the hits on paper!

Of course I had to fix it (too much negative attention) and it works fine now but it's a little boring. Oh well.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:36 PM

I once had a Thompson 1911 45acp that would double once in a while and finally went full auto. Boy that would make you grin.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:27 PM

I have a Colt Ace that my grandfather bought new with a 14XX serial number on it, and the mag on the left is identical to the mag that came new in the gun.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:32 PM

As I stated earlier I have a Colt Ace that was purchased new by my grandfather, outside of the match markings on the slide everything you have is identical to the original parts on my Ace. This gun has been in the family since it was new and outside of the grips it is 100% original.