Custom Hard Use Hi-Powers - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 09:19 PM

Custom Hard Use Hi-Powers

Wil you actually shoot your custom hi-power? I talking 200 rounds or more per range trip. Daily or as needed concealed carry. Weekly or multi weekly rang trips. How about as your exclusive home defence piece. Will you actually learn to love your gun's scars? Is their a dollar amount cut-off? Better sights, improved thumb safety access and function, better triggers, stippling and checkering, "wear proof" finishes. It can get pricey. Where is you dollar/feature cut off point?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:43 AM

I do customizing on a lesser level, some of my Hi Powers are just too valuable to mess with, I did Cerakote my light weight and change the grips for a more attractive set that gives a much better hold to boot and similar changes to a few Israeli imports but mainly I have kept it simple. Just happens I shall pick up another this morning giving me about twenty of the critters.
Attached Thumbnails
B94EC625-2A84-4B0E-AEDC-9C03EDF83A6A.jpeg   EA6F1920-3392-4443-A81A-1711C8E60A43.jpeg   7254661E-AECB-4273-A83F-3173FDA66E1C.jpeg  
Old 02-09-2020, 05:17 PM

Welll you can definitely go off the deal end quick with a custom build for sure. Mine will be shot plenty but checks the boxes you listed above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 08:06 PM

I have a LW worked over by Don Williams, my Buddy and I shoot it every time I go to the range. We go on an average of 2-3 times a month.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:13 PM

Ghostrider,

Mind posting a break down of the work and who performed it?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:12 AM

I don't routinely carry my Hi Powers, but when I do my full house custom Cylinder and Slide or my Novak gets carried. My clone sits in the safe.

I want to buy a Ted Yost Hi Power and yes it will get shot and carried.

I had to get over the it cost too much so I will not carry it. What is I have to use it and it sits in a police evidence room, for who knows for how long.

But then I came to the understanding that I no longer work for the government. I am a supplier to government agencies, and own a multinational company.

So if I get joy out of carry a $4000 Hi Power and it saves my life. I don't care at that point in time.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:28 PM

I am really happy to know I am not the only one who wants to shoot their custom hi power. I just got back from a range session in my favorite section of the desert. Shot my 45 .acp 1911 instead of the hi power. I only have one hi power, sent it off to Don Williams, I won't see it for awhile. The gun will have a Garthwaite trigger/hammer/ sear, some stipplling, new sights, thumb safety and a few other things. The gun started as a Practical model, it will be refinished that way.

-steam-

Last edited by steam; 02-10-2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added username
Old 02-10-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR1107 View Post
Ghostrider,

Mind posting a break down of the work and who performed it?

Karl at KGB did the work, alloy frame, DLC coated, c&s ignition set, kkm barrel, Garthwaite trigger, c&s hammer, heinie legless rear sight, gold bead front, stippled and high cut front strap, stippled and French bordered slide. I absolutely love it

Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 PM

I have a BHP with Don Williams. I intend to shoot it a lot when it's done.

I also regularly shoot my Heirloom Precision Colt CCO and practice drills with it. The Esmeralda Grips have picked up dings and I discovered you CAN scratch hard chrome.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:11 PM

Gundoggy,

I noticed that many of the, have-to-have options such as improved triggers/sears/hammers, improved thumb safeties, fast acquisition sights, barrel recrowns, even reliability tuning, and higher traction grips, stippling the magazine front and rear straps, were to improve the guns function. To give the shooter under very adverse circumstances, an edge. The hi power for many is a very, quick handling gun, already well suited for Hard Use as is. I hope to use my gun like you and develop real skill with it. My hats off to Gundoggy especially, scratching hard chrome is a tough act to follow!

-steam-
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 PM

Ghostrider,
Very cool. I liked the build. Thank you for posting what all work was done.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam View Post
Gundoggy,

I noticed that many of the, have-to-have options such as improved triggers/sears/hammers, improved thumb safeties, fast acquisition sights, barrel recrowns, even reliability tuning, and higher traction grips, stippling the magazine front and rear straps, were to improve the guns function. To give the shooter under very adverse circumstances, an edge. The hi power for many is a very, quick handling gun, already well suited for Hard Use as is. I hope to use my gun like you and develop real skill with it. My hats off to Gundoggy especially, scratching hard chrome is a tough act to follow!

-steam-
Hey Steam. I like the way you put that. I'm one of those guys who has problems shooting and carrying my custom guns. I rarely carry my Highpowers, but I've always intended to do so. I've got a Yost Signature grade, a Warner EWA, a Cylinder and Slide LW, and a mostly stock Mk 3, but with a trigger job and beautiful grips by BHS. Oh yeah, also a Nazi Waffenstamped one made in 1942. I've also got custom leather done by one of our members.

My problem is that I'm always worried about scratching the gun, or worse, discovering that the gun has reliability problems after shooting a few hundred rounds through it. I've shot all of them once, except for the EWA. I had to shoot that one quite a bit. It had feeding issues and had to go back to Chuck Warner twice. He finally fixed it. But I liked how you said that the customization features might be the difference between winning and going home in a coffin. Another member once told me to "own the gun, don't let the gun own you." He was right and you are right. I'm heading down to the safe and I'm going to wear one of those rascals today.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:03 PM

Bradsvette
I really enjoy finely made guns. I have not owned any full featured custom guns. But I appreciate them as much as their owners do! I know that a lot of the custom work is due to very creative juices, and artistic expression. This I am sure is very gratifying to the builder and certainly to the purchaser.
My intention regarding this thread, was to illustrate that it is a good thing to shoot these guns hard, but maintain them well. These guns can take it. I guarantee you. They are weapons first and foremost, and may need repair from time to time. That is OK. It would be difficult for me to take a "Best Build"Hi-Power or 1911 and sweat on it! That's for sure! But for a gun that has mostly performance enhancements like, trigger work, sights, improved thumb safety, stippling or checkering, these things are mostly performance enhancements. Let them show their worth. Builders want the feedback too. For the showpiece gun, for me, they should be reserved for non-arduous use. But I also want to have guns I can have a shooting experiences with. Memories and stories to share with friends and write in my journals.

-steam-
Old 02-12-2020, 02:51 PM

I carry this one every day:

This one stays in the safe for posterity:

Old 02-12-2020, 05:46 PM

Bravo!

The best of both worlds!

-steam-
Old 02-12-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Bradsvette
I really enjoy finely made guns. I have not owned any full featured custom guns. But I appreciate them as much as their owners do! I know that a lot of the custom work is due to very creative juices, and artistic expression. This I am sure is very gratifying to the builder and certainly to the purchaser.
My intention regarding this thread, was to illustrate that it is a good thing to shoot these guns hard, but maintain them well. These guns can take it. I guarantee you. They are weapons first and foremost, and may need repair from time to time. That is OK. It would be difficult for me to take a "Best Build"Hi-Power or 1911 and sweat on it! That's for sure! But for a gun that has mostly performance enhancements like, trigger work, sights, improved thumb safety, stippling or checkering, these things are mostly performance enhancements. Let them show their worth. Builders want the feedback too. For the showpiece gun, for me, they should be reserved for non-arduous use. But I also want to have guns I can have a shooting experiences with. Memories and stories to share with friends and write in my journals.

-steam-
I totally agree.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:49 PM

imjb1911, cool Hi-Powers. The second one is insanely perfect.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Wil you actually shoot your custom hi-power? I talking 200 rounds or more per range trip. Daily or as needed concealed carry. Weekly or multi weekly rang trips. How about as your exclusive home defence piece. Will you actually learn to love your gun's scars? Is their a dollar amount cut-off? Better sights, improved thumb safety access and function, better triggers, stippling and checkering, "wear proof" finishes. It can get pricey. Where is you dollar/feature cut off point?
This is my everyday carry. It is a surplus alloy FN gun worked over by Don Williams. It has Harrison 1911 sights, Garthwite trigger and fire controls, Don's thumb safety. It has been stippled, trigger and reliability work etc..... It rides in a Milt Sparks VMII and has wear on the frame from going in and out of the VM2 and kydex. The lower was finished in NP3 and the slide is Black Rogard. It used to wear Spegels but my sweat took the varnish off the grips so I sent them back to Spegel and he refinished them and I put Navidrex on them and moved the Spegels to another gun.

This is my Garthwaite full house custom built on a MKIII. The only thing that was not replaced was the barrel. The original plan was to shoot about 1000 rounds make sure it was good to go and then have it sent to be hard chromed once I was sure it was perfect. I have an unknown round count now. It had gone to training classes. Te slide stop area on the slide had to be dressed because of a ham fisted user induced side lock. Filed it hit it with some bluing and moved on. There is bluing wear on the frame and the slide from kydex holsters. The beveled magwell shows dings and scratches from slide lock reloads. I never did send it to get hard chromed. I like the way it looks with honest wear.

This Yost Signature gets shot, put into holsters suffers slide lock reloads etc... The beautifully blued mag plates have even been dropped into the dirt.

This is my surplus beater. It is a former IDF gun. It was a truck gun for a while. It has some trigger work done but the rest is stock. It is a sleeper build and slicker than it looks.

Honestly the stock guns end up being left in pristine condition because they are not shot as much. When I am reaching into the safe to get a gun to shoot at the range am I always going to pick the best shooter and that is rarely a stock gun.

This does not only apply BHPs. I treat my Wilson EDX-9 like a Glock 19. In fact my Glock 19s show less wear. I also run my custom Don Williams 1911 pretty hard. I slam mags into the Stan Chen magwell with a giant grin on my face as it makes me look good as I fumble my reload.

Guns are tools. Even really pretty ones. Most of these pics were taken when they were new. I should take now pics to show the difference. None of them are abused but they are not babied. I put money into these guns so I could shoot them. If I just wanted to look at them I would have just printed a picture book.

Last edited by rellascout; 02-12-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:43 PM

As far as carry guns go, mine will be carried now that I have a 5-shot holster for it. It will share time with my lwt commander that Jim Garthwaite built quite a few years ago. It’s getting time to send the old girl to get freshened up and perhaps a few minor tweaks. Here she is when I bought her and now after being carried for a few years. The birdsong black T has worn very well in the milt sparks VMII.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
imjb1911, cool Hi-Powers. The second one is insanely perfect.
It's 99% +. It's also 45 years old.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:40 AM

My Elite Warrior Armament P-35 is carried on a regular basis.

Although not customized, I also carry my Browning Hi-Power .40 S&W sometimes as well.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:28 AM

An Elite Warrior Armament P-35, is born completed, done, finished, ready, perfect really! That gun is what most shooters are looking for. If it went to production the custom gun scene could take a hit initially. It could also give them options not present with current guns. I can only imagine the guns that could born of that weapon! BEAUTIFUL GUN! I'll bet it is a joy to shoot.

-steam-
Old 02-14-2020, 07:37 AM

Hey Steam, I've got one too. I called it a Warner EWA in my first post. Mine had problems initially, but after 2 trips back to Chuck, those problems were corrected.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 AM

I for a little while followed the saga of Warner Hi Powers, but stopped. Now I am curious what kept it from going into production?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:09 PM

bradsvette,
I can only imagine the talent it takes to build one of those guns. The weapon needing tuning, while maybe a little disheartening, is understandable. Every gun must be fielded before we know it is ready. This work can not be done by the builder, he doesn't know how you will use the gun. My Winchester model 70 super grade was a sweet shooting rifle. When I pushed it hard rapid fire, it would allow cartridges to pop out of the magazine and jam the gun. Sent it back to winchester twice. It's a solid gun now. I wanted to know if the general shooter would use their custom hi powers, you know, really push them on the range expose them to the elements. I have found out, so far, that people are shooting them. When testing my winchester I was preparing for a hunt. And I fired it offhand hundreds of times-to see If could make it fail. It did! That gun, when being shot normally, was smooth, accurate,and functioned 100% of the time. If you pushed it like your life depended on it, and it had a 25% jam rate.

-steam-