1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 04:29 PM

New to 1911's and Para Ordinance, questions

Hello everyone,

My second post on here. Just traded for my first 1911 which of course is this P-14-45 Limited.

It supposedly has a custom trigger and few other parts in it and the trigger seems to be very sweet. I shot the gun very well and it shot very accurate. I have a lot of guns but this is my first, as I said before, 1911 so I am pretty ignorant.

I do have a problem. Very consistently with all three mags I have, almost always after round 3 is fired, the next round doesn't make it quite into battery. A little pull back on the slide, release and it goes right in and the rest of the mag never misses a beat and shoots great. Occasionally it might do this after round 2 is fired or round 4 is fired buts its pretty darn consistent after round 3.

It does it consistently as well. Never went through a mag without it happening.

I've done some reading and know this is quite common or seems to be. What I am confused on is the steps and in which order I take to resolve this and make the gun reliable.

I don't know the age of the gun, when it was made or anything. The mags I assume are para ordinance mags since they say made in Canada but again I don't know.

So what would you try first, then second and so on to fix the problem?

I appreciate any advice.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-02-2020, 06:01 PM

What type bullets are causing the problem? Anyway, first thing I would do is take apart the mags, clean everything and check for burrs. Then reassemble. If there is still a problem, then replace the springs. I think mec gar still makes them. It's probably a power extractor, so you MIGHT hafta do a bit of touch up on the extractor. Also, check inside the chamber where the barrel ramp and frame meet. If you see any copper marks also polish those areas so there is no slowing down of the bullets. Those are all easy things to do. I'd start with those. But, my first guess would be the springs are getting a bit tired and the angle the rounds load at aren't quite right.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:57 PM

Thank you sir for the advice. I will head off down the rabbit trail and hopefully it won't be too long of one, lol.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 08:44 AM

Cleaning the mags is a good start. Sounds like an extractor issue to me, either too tight or not properly finished or both. See included diagram.

I also see a WC extended slide release package. Check for interference with bullet nose.
Attached Thumbnails
Extractor tuning.jpg  

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-03-2020, 08:47 AM

Thank you. I will give that a looking into as well.

I really appreciate the help gentlemen.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:03 PM

> Very consistently with all three mags I have, almost always after round 3 is fired, the next round doesn't make it quite into battery.
---
TacoBobbo's recommendation to check the magazine lips is good. Take the mags apart, then run a finger along the edges of the feed lips. There should be no burrs and the edges shouldn't be sharp. Cycle a few new rounds and look for scars along the brass.

If the lips are rough, use one of those pencil-diameter "Cratex" rods in a Dremel tool to *very carefully* remove the sharp edges. You don't want to thin the lips to knife edges, just take the sharp off.

But I'd put my money on the recoil spring being out of spec due to age or round count. That's the big spring under the barrel. My recommendation is to buy a new, standard spring, install it, and see if that cures your problem.

Like most autoloaders, the 1911 doesn't have much more spring than it needs to be able to push the slide into battery with a full magazine. That's because a very stuff spring makes it hard to assemble and beats up the slide stop and barrel feet, among other things. But the Para double stack mags, when near full, put a lot more pressure on the bottom on the slide, increasing operating friction. On most guns, the stock GI spring has enough spare cowbell to work... but your spring might be bad, or your rails rough, or your lubricant isn't slippery enough. (a good cleaning and oiling wouldn't cost anything...)
Old 02-13-2020, 09:02 PM

Thanks TRX for the info. I did get springs and stuff in to I plan to start heading down the road with the steps that have been provided. I will add this to it, before the extractor if one of the earlier steps do not work.

Thanks again everyone!
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

I have Black Ops that was a jamming machine when I first purchased it- of all the things I worked on, the #1 little thing I did that made mine run flawlessly, was adding a slight bevel to the top of the firing pin hole.
The hole was ever-so slightly over sized, and very sharp. If you have a failure to feed fully into battery, take a look where the cartridge is hung up. The rim of the cartridge could be hanging up in that hole.
I just used a very small, diamond burr with a dremel to break the edge on the top of the hole.
I did also add a pre-ramp under the barrel ramp, as mine was just a hard corner that always had copper on it.
Whole pistol runs like a top, now.
Picture is from before I fixed it, you can see the bits of brass in the hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200216-074618_Gallery_1581857569135.jpg