Optic question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 02:50 PM

Optic question

Im new the AR world, just purchased my first AR in 5.56. Im looking for some sort of optic not sure what I want. I would like this AR for some target shooting out to 100 yards but also like this AR for home defense not sure if I can have it for both. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:07 PM

I have a couple of AR's set up for plinking and home defense.

One is used for PCC and has the Vortex Strikefire II red dot. The R/D is good to 100 yards. The flip up aperture sight co-witness' through the glass for precision 100-300 yards.

Another has the Nikon P223 3X scope with BDC. It also has the separate aperture sights that co-witness.

Both are sighted in for 1" low at 25 yards and will bang and clang 8" steel out to 200 yards without adjustment.

For home defense I recommend some form of illumination but you already knew that!

I haven't tried any lasers but that is also an option.

All the best,

Last edited by jjfitch; 02-02-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:32 PM

What’s the budget?
I’ve got an Aimpoint T2 micro on one and a Trijicon 4x 32 ACOG on another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 03:39 PM

Bushnell AR Optics illuminated 1-4x. Fine scope at reasonable price. First focal plane focus.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 02-02-2020, 03:54 PM

My general rule of thumb is if it's a 14.5" barreled gun, then I'd go with a red-dot. First choice is Aimpoint Comp M5 or T-2. Close second is the Trijicon MRO, for a lot less money. If it's a 16" gun, then I'd go with a 1x4 variable. Personally I wouldn't worry about first or second focal plane. There are advantages with both. The Bushnell Walter mentioned is a decent scope. I have one too. I also like and own the Trijicon Accu-power 1x4 and if you feel like spending some coin, the best is a Kayles 1x6.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:13 PM

Dot sight. Not really precision shooting at 100 yds but if you are sighted in properly you can hit a grapefruit at that range. A lot of the precision depends on how big the dot is - the smaller the better in my book. Some of them have 5mm dots which is the size of a dinner plate at 100 yds., and they are not transparent. The 1mm and 2mm dots at least allow a modicum of precision. I shoot 1" at 50 yds with my Trijicon MRO but you don't have to spend $500 to get a good dependable dot sight.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:28 AM

A well made 1-4 or 1-6 optic would suit your needs well. For a budget scope look at Vortex strike eagle, mid range pricing, Leupold VX-6, Trijicon Accupoint or Meopta Meostar. For the ultimate price is no object, Leupold MK5 or Swarovski Z6i.

I have used all of them and my favorite is the Leupold VX-6 with the illuminated circle dot.
Set on 1X with illumination on, its just like shooting a red dot sight. Crank up the magnification and turn down the illumination and its very accurate at distance.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
I’m new the AR world, just purchased my first AR in 5.56. I’m looking for some sort of optic not sure what I want. I would like this AR for some target shooting out to 100 yards but also like this AR for home defense not sure if I can have it for both. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
What are the details of the rifle?
I like a 1-4 or 1-6 variable scope for a multi purpose rifle

Last edited by Faawrenchbender; 02-04-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
Im new the AR world, just purchased my first AR in 5.56. Im looking for some sort of optic not sure what I want. I would like this AR for some target shooting out to 100 yards but also like this AR for home defense not sure if I can have it for both. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
An affordable RDS is the Aimpoint PRO with a 2 moa dot. This is a good all-around optic that comes ready to mount on your rifle.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:46 AM

Put me down as another fan of the Leupold 1X6 VX-6

That is what my house gun Noveske AR wears. Just the ticket.
Attached Thumbnails
Noveske 002.JPG  
Old 02-04-2020, 11:48 AM

For an old pair of eyes with cataract surgery I went with and would highly recommend the Vortex Strike Eagle 1 X 8 X 24. CQB scenario, dial her down with both eyes open. For distance, dial her up and fire away! Great scope!!
Attached Thumbnails
0A9F52E0-C300-43E6-9012-0E18CB5A048A.jpeg  
Old 02-04-2020, 10:56 PM

For just around 100 yd distances a red dot optic would be good to go.

I rarely shoot at longer ranges of 200 to 300 yd but when I do it I use a 3X magnifier behind my red dot.

I'm using two types of red dot sights, one for just practice and another one for home defense, plus I've got a higher magnification of 3-9X40 Nikon hunting type scope for medium ranges of 200 to 400 yd.

My practice red dot is shown below picture Vortex Sparc AR which is a mid priced micro size with 2 MOA dot size (2 inches at 100 yd) and uses one AAA lithium battery and during emergencies without lithium batteries, alkaline type could be used.

But my home defense carbine I use my trusted very reliable Aimpoint Comp M2 (older model which I've been using for 15 years now).

My first Aimpoint was my model 2000 way back in 1989 and I also used it for more than 15 years, they're very reliable and I highly recommend them.

Currently Aimpoint PRO model are a good value and if you want to have best of practice and home defense use that would be an excellent choice.
Attached Thumbnails
EwFsffQ.jpg  
Colt AR-15 carbine X4, Colt MT6601 with USGI M16A2 Colt upper half 20" rifle, RRA A4 9mm 16" carbine, Steyr AUG A1 16" carbine, IMI Galil AR 16" carbine, PolyTech AKS-762 X3, Chinese SKS and USGI DCM M1 Garand, Colt 1911 Gov't Model X3, Colt Officers Lightweight, HK USP full, Sig P220 .45, Sig P226 9mm & Glock 19
NRA Life Member since 1970 * AR-15 owner since 1971
Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 AM

Maybe it's me being old-school. But I don't understand the guys who initiate a thread with a "what whatever should I buy?" and then not answer. The post was started on the 2nd and today's the 5th. No responses what-so-ever from the OP. I guess Pat C is just waiting to get a bunch of responses and then make his decision. Hopefully he'll share that decision with all of us who took the time to respond.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:58 PM

I loves my 4x ACOG.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:44 PM

Primary arms 1-6 acss is a cheap option that gets plenty of thumbs ups as well. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but i have been looking as well.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:15 PM

Consider: Aimpoint PRO, Eotech EXPS2 or 3 with dot in circle reticle, or Sig Romeo 5x. I’ve used them on my AR’s and they are great for the distance you mentioned. For finer or longer distance shooting, go with a variable 1x ?? dependent on wallet and need. There are a ton of good variables on the market. FWIW, Primary Arms markets lots of good quality scopes and red dots at great prices if you aren’t really sure.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:46 PM

For a HD gun, go with an Aimpoint. Turn it on, put it beadside, and done worry about the optic going dead for 5 years.
For a working gun, I prefer an Eotech- expect has demonstrate its faster and more accurate... but the battery life isn't in the same time zone.
For distance, put a 4x magnifier behind it
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Administrator

The market is awash with options. For your intended use I agree with those who say a red dot should be fine for home defense distances out to 100 yards.

Features that you're going to want:

1. A large enough tube to easily see through and pick up the red dot.

2. Long battery life. Some of the better sights automatically shut off after a few minutes of inactivity and switch back on when the rifle is moved or handled.

3. A decent mount. Some of the good red dots out there nonetheless come with really cheap, crappy mounts to keep the cost down. Buy your own if you have to.

4. Attached lens covers that easily pop off or flip up out of the way.

The better red dots will have a smaller MOA dot size, while cheap ones are often larger and fuzzier.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
For a HD gun, go with an Aimpoint. Turn it on, put it beadside, and done worry about the optic going dead for 5 years.
For a working gun, I prefer an Eotech- expect has demonstrate its faster and more accurate... but the battery life isn't in the same time zone.
For distance, put a 4x magnifier behind it
This, I'll add that the new gen 1-8 optics do it all with a slight weight penalty. I have Eotechs but I can't get over how short the life is even though they perform very well.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-13-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
This, I'll add that the new gen 1-8 optics do it all with a slight weight penalty. I have Eotechs but I can't get over how short the life is even though they perform very well.
The battery life is the result of how the optic works. An Aimpoint is an LED reflected into the optic by a mirror. Almont a zero power requirement. An EoTec is a holographic image on the viewing field, produced by multiplier laser emitters. Lasers need power- lots of it.

The problem with the 1x X variable optics is that at 1x, they're vastly slower to acquire that a red dot....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-14-2020, 02:27 AM

I just found out that Leupold is making a red dot sight and the price is very reasonable. I have not seen any reviews yet. But if they check out well. I will be buying one.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:45 AM

Forgot to mention, while I love AimPoints, a red dot can be a problem for those with cataracts.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:31 AM

Another fake post. Started on the 2nd and no responses from the OP since. But nobody seems to care. The Forum members happily pontificating for the sake of pontificating.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Another fake post. Started on the 2nd and no responses from the OP since. But nobody seems to care. The Forum members happily pontificating for the sake of pontificating.
Why presume its "fake"...? The OP isn't a new member, he's some time here. Lower post count... perhaps he's the type that doesn't need to respect to evey reply, and is just soaking it whats being offered. Perhaps life happened, and he's focused on other things... He seems to have been reasonably active in January, and December of last year.
No reason to suggest that his post is a "fake", its not like he joind in FEB and has 4 posts... and whats wrong with pontificating about a subject? Kinda the purpose of a forum....
Old 02-14-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Feel free to log out of the forum anytime.