Clothing for concealed carry in warm weather. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Clothing for concealed carry in warm weather.

I got it covered during the winter. (no pun intended) During the Summer I usually a t-shirt and shorts guy. Over the past few years t shirts have became thinner and thinner, and also seem to be tighter and tighter. (I've had the same measurements for years). It seems like most t-shirts now are "dry fit" or something like that. Super thin, and kinda clingy. Even if they're sized really big they seem to stick to my gun.

Does anyone make thick, cotton/poly shirts anymore. I've got a few Carharrt henley shirts that work well, but they're so old they're going to fall apart soon. What are all of you wearing for t-shirts, or other casual clothing?
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:32 PM

I quit wearing t-shirts years ago and switched to polo shirts. Do a little on-line shopping, very reasonable prices for some great quality shirts.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:36 PM

I buy 100% cotton tee shirts or polos. I don't like polyester blends. They feel like I'm wearing a plastic bag when the sweat starts. I also wear 100% cotton shorts, usually hikers. Sometimes I still wear jeans even on the hottest days if I'm not going to be out much.

I wore enough polyester with the Sheriff's Department many years ago.

I always wear a belt. You won't find me wearing shorts down to my shins either. If I'm wearing shorts, they're short. Not Tom Selleck short, but right at the top of the kneecap.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2020, 08:07 PM

Hawaiian floral print shirts. I've accumulated quite a collection of Tommy Bahama's over the years. They never go out of style last forever, are fine for running to the market or an evening out with your significant other.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:11 PM

Has anyone tried the button up no-tuck shirts, do they conceal ok?
Old 02-01-2020, 08:17 PM

I normally wear a t-shirt and a button up short sleeve shirt (unbuttoned), the fishing type shirts work well and don’t look tacticool.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 02-01-2020, 08:46 PM

Polo or button down, you can hide a very very large gun appendix if you do.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-01-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thig View Post
Has anyone tried the button up no-tuck shirts, do they conceal ok?
Hides my gun perfectly, it's what I use normally. I can pull off a full-size with mageell but if I move certain ways it prints slightly, so I use a compact instead
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-01-2020, 11:58 PM

I usually wear a T-Shirt tucked in. The cotton ones help keep the body temp feeling regulated. When I was working my standard daily dress was black, short sleeve Dickies, button up shirts. I like the two breast pockets as well. This also in Southwest Texas, 3 miles from the Mexican border and in the summer.

I have no problem concealing IWB with a full size SIG P220. I've also carried the same gun with one T-shirt tucked in and another untucked over. I prefer pocket Ts. Since I'm not a fan of the heat I wear the Ts around the house and have my phone and pen in the pocket. If I go out I toss a button up shirt over that. Unless it's below 55-60 I'm usually wearing the short sleeve Dickies mentioned above. Wearing dark colors helps. The suspenders don't show as much with darker colors either. If anyone is noticing anything it's more likely to be the adjustment slides on the suspenders. If they do it draws their attention away from the belt area even more.

Check out Gildan or Bella Canvas T-Shirts. They and a few others get used for printed Ts. Check their websites for descriptions of their various shirts. They will tell you if they are more form fitted or looser. Also the fabric.

I hate the heat, but I wear jeans or khaki pants and a tucked T and untucked button up going out in the worst of the summer. Duty sized pistols conceal IWB no problem.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-02-2020, 04:29 PM

Check Wal-mart...I buy mine there...tag-less Fruit of the Loom pocket T-shirt, heavy weight cotton, good color choice and only around $4. Get one size up as they will shrink a little. I like that these are not as long as some t-shirts tend to be and go great with jeans or shorts.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Thanks everyone. I was mistaken about the cotton/poly blend. I checked the label on one of the worn out Carhartt shirts I like and it's 100% cotton. I've got some old Fruit of the Loom pocket tees. They're a little thinner than the carhartts I like. They may be a cotton/poly blend.

I usually carry my gun owb at about 3:30. I've got a gut, but my chest is quite a bit wider than my hips/midsection. If a shirt isn't tight on my chest it covers a gun fine. Obviously an expert would spot my gun especially if I bend over, but the general public never notices. I can hide a gun easily with appendix carry but I can't sit down comfortably. For me, with the right holster and belt owb conceals just as good as iwb. Either way is comfortable. I can't carry at work. I can just remove my owb holster (kydex holster, with wing clips) without having to adjust my belt.

(I've got a safe in my truck so my weapon is secure when I'm at work)
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:04 PM

Iíve been wearing UA Loose Fit Catalyst Heat Gear, 100% recycled polyester tshirts here in FL for the past 10-12 years. When I first bought them to try out, I was hooked, to the point that I went back and bought about extras for future use, knowing that the ones I recently purchased would soon wear out.

However, all the backup shirts remain unused, because Iíve been wearing the same ones I initially purchased, every day, for the past 10-12 years. Some of the threading is finally starting to show wear, but overall, the shirts still look new. Iíve purchased other tshirts in-between to try out, including the UA Heat Gear NON recycled polyester, ended up not liking them as much as the recycled loose fit. You can quickly identify the recycled models by the yellow band inside the collar. 100% cotton is just way too hot for me in the summer.

I wear the UA loose fit untucked most of the time during the summer, but when I do tuck them, I need to cinch my belt a bit tighter, otherwise the waistband will slide down a little on the slick polyester shirt, which definitely doesnít have the same waistband grip as cotton tshirts. But, I just canít find anything comparable, each time I wear one, it feels like a mini air conditioner compared to cotton. I air dry them straight out of the washer and they never look wrinkled.

During the colder months and sometimes in the summer, I wear an unbuttoned button down Habit River shirt over my UA tshirt, which is also 100% polyester. Iíve been through quite a few 5.11 concealed carry shirts, theyíre well made and always look sharp, but they can be a bit too thick for the FL heat. However, thatís not the case with the Habit shirts, theyíre super lightweight, cost around $24 bucks, under $20 if Samís Club has them in stock.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:27 PM

Carhartt makes great 100% thick cotton T-Shirts. Sized to fit met that donít wear skinny jeans.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:00 AM

I like the moisture wicking golf (polo) shirts for warm weather. They're light weight, cool, and cover well.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:11 PM

Check out the products at Duluth. Good quality and a more generous cut in both length and width.

Pocket = LCP w/Crimson Trace
IWB Appendix = Walther PPS
IWB = S&W 1911PD
Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 AM

Planning is the key

Iím wearing khaki cargo shorts with a belt and any color polo shirt that looks good. Picking the right gun/holster combination is the key.

I carry my 1911ís in a Sparkís VMII or my G19 in a VMII or Alessi CQC-S, all will hide under a polo with ease. I carry both guns just behind the hip (4 oíclock) with spare magazines in a Sparkís magazine pouch on my left side.

This combination has worked for me over the last 20+ years, I donít think twice about gearing up for summer time.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:24 PM

Duluth Trading Lang Tail Tees for summer and winter. Cover my Commander sized 1911 carried OWB. Great quality and reasonable price.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1911 View Post
Check out the products at Duluth. Good quality and a more generous cut in both length and width.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuull17327 View Post
Duluth Trading Lang Tail Tees for summer and winter. Cover my Commander sized 1911 carried OWB. Great quality and reasonable price.
I ordered me a few long tail tee's from Duluth. We'll see how they work. I don't know why I hadn't thought of them. I like Duluth socks.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuull17327 View Post
Wow, these are intriguing for me. Do you buy your usual size or one size up to prevent printing?
Old 02-06-2020, 10:03 AM

For Duluth products just order your regular size. They just tailor many of their clothes longer and/or wider. Their play is towards the tradesman that typically needs extended coverage to prevent the classic "plumber's butt".

Pocket = LCP w/Crimson Trace
IWB Appendix = Walther PPS
IWB = S&W 1911PD
Old 02-06-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1911 View Post
For Duluth products just order your regular size. They just tailor many of their clothes longer and/or wider. Their play is towards the tradesman that typically needs extended coverage to prevent the classic "plumber's butt".
Thanks! It turns out that they're on sale now. I just ordered the short sleeve version in every color. If I like them, which I expect to, I'll get the long sleeve version next fall.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
I quit wearing t-shirts years ago and switched to polo shirts.
I went from tees to polos as well. They also make "open weave" polos that allow some air circulation, which is really nice when working out in hot weather.

I looked for some ordinary shirts, but it seems conventional button-up short sleeve shirts aren't a 'thing' any more, at least not in my area.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:45 PM

An open Hawaiian shirt over whatever t-shirt I happen to be wearing.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 02-09-2020, 01:39 AM

Look at fishing shirts. If you have an Academy Sports nearby their Magellan Outdoors are reasonably priced. Sam's has a small selection that's reasonably priced too.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdellis49 View Post
Hawaiian floral print shirts. I've accumulated quite a collection of Tommy Bahama's over the years. They never go out of style last forever, are fine for running to the market or an evening out with your significant other.
I think "style" is relative, both to taste and geography.... while floral prints may ve in vogue is Southern California, Miami, and, surprisingly, Hawaii, I think thats about the extent of their reach as a fashion influancer...
Here in the Carolina Sandhills, even with the big money golf crowd, florals are not a common sight. Unbuttoned, over a T shirt? Might as well get one of those globetrotting photo journalist vests....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams