Shipping Ammo - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-26-2020, 06:38 PM

Shipping Ammo

How does an individual legally sell and ship ammo?

Thank you.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:30 AM

You cannot ship it through the US Postal Service. You can ship it UPS or FedEx though. They both have guidelines on packaging etc. Go to their respective web pages for the full details.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:42 AM

+1 above...

Read their guidelines, it really is no big deal...One key requirements is that you have to put a label on it which indicates the package is "Cartridges, small arms"...These labels can be printed for for free off the internet.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2020, 06:42 AM

No Hazmat for loaded ammo either. As C A mentioned, it’s just a free label.
The only problem is that, depending on where you live, with that advertising, the package might be stolen!
Old 01-28-2020, 07:02 AM

UPS has the ammo shipping requirements on their web site. You only have to put the ORM-D symbol inside a rectangle on the package, you can draw it on with a Sharpie. You do have to drop the package off at a UPS shipping center, you can’t just take it to a UPS store.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:58 AM

UPS at least used to be easier than FedEx when it came to ammo. An ORM-D label is all you need on it.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:10 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
You cannot ship it through the US Postal Service. You can ship it UPS or FedEx though. They both have guidelines on packaging etc. Go to their respective web pages for the full details.

Be aware, too, that a large percentage of UPS stores are franchise owned, and many of them won't take firearms or ammunition for shipment. I've shipped a lot of stuff with FedEx however, and never has any problems. As long as the packages are properly marked, they don't bat an eye. FedEx will also come to your home to pick the stuff up.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-28-2020, 06:19 PM

For me, FedEx as been cheaper to ship then UPS. Tape it up well and they won't even think twice. It's just another box to them.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:52 AM

UPS can be funny......
They asked me what was in the box one time and I told them it was a bottle of Scotch for my dad for Christmas. “We can’t do that, it’s bootlegging” I was told. WTH, it’s not a case.....spirit of the law dingbat! I told her I would take it to FedEx and they wouldn’t have a problem with it. She actually told me she was going to call them! She didn’t, and they didn’t ask, and I didn’t tell. God I hate stupid people! Don’t give me the “rules” speech, we weren’t recorded and it wasn’t hurting anyone. Taxes were paid and the state made its revenue.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:20 PM

Ammo also has to ship ground.
Tomcatt
COTEP #022
Old 01-29-2020, 05:58 PM

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...mmunition.page

I believe UPS is now using the blank ORM-D label, they used to accept the blue one with the small arms ammunition spelled out so you may want to check before you make the trip to drop the package off.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:35 AM

I would think the hardest part is keeping up with the amount of states changing their laws on shipping ammo to and from. Seems like more and more states are restricting the amount of bought, sold, shipped, received. Feels like it's slowly becoming bullet prohibition...
Old 02-11-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longone View Post
https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...mmunition.page

I believe UPS is now using the blank ORM-D label, they used to accept the blue one with the small arms ammunition spelled out so you may want to check before you make the trip to drop the package off.
Hmmmmm, UPS says that up to 50 pounds is legal to ship in the 48 contiguous states. If they take away the blue sticker that says ammo, they’ll never know we are shipping ammo into California!! I don’t care what California laws are, I don’t live there! Maybe I’ll send some to Feinstein and Pelosi........
Old 02-12-2020, 09:09 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slattin View Post
I would think the hardest part is keeping up with the amount of states changing their laws on shipping ammo to and from. Seems like more and more states are restricting the amount of bought, sold, shipped, received. Feels like it's slowly becoming bullet prohibition...
The Feds determine what the laws are re: shipping, not the states. Those laws have changed very little in the last decade.

The states, like California, prohibit/regulate the ammo itself, but not how it is shipped. The Supreme Court has already ruled that restricting ammo is the same as restricting guns. Sooner or later, the Feds will tell the liberals dickheads in California and elsewhere to knock it off.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 AM

The idea is to remove the “liberal dickheads” from the Federal level first!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cee View Post
How does an individual legally sell and ship ammo?

Thank you.
The sell portion of that question might need addressing. What type of ammo are you wanting to sell, your reloads or a small amount of commercial ammo that you own? Is this to become a business? Making ammo for sale can have some hoops through which you must jump to be legal.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:30 AM

You bet! You have to obtain a FFL to manufacture ammo for sale. Add liability insurance and a host of other hoops including specific handling and storage requirements and it gets tough. I don’t believe that you need a FFL to buy and sell ammo though.