Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 10:09 PM
Administrator

New 2020 Colt Python discussion thread

All,

I am starting a fresh thread where we can discuss the newly-reintroduced Colt Python. Keep the discussion civil, and if a troll/hater shows up do not reply to them. I will delete ALL posts that are not of a constructive nature at my own discretion. If you come here simply to trash the new Python or Colt products in general your post will be gone the moment I find it. Period.

I will start this off by sharing the link to a useful video comparing the new 2020 model to an original Python:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NiNrqhFNos
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:28 PM

Excellent video, thanks for posting.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 01-20-2020, 08:37 AM

On the Glock forum there is a picture of the new Python with a clear side plate so you can see the action. You can see the sides on the bottom of the V spring that push the rebound lever forward have been trimmed a little. I am betting a few more onces of preasure would cure the pawl not moving back to turn the cylinder and the misfiring. I don't think there is a major problem with the new Python. Remember if you bent the V springs on the old Pythons you could have similar problems. It could be Colt got a bad batch of V springs from a vendor. I am glad they are back and wish them the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 AM

Great video! To the haters I say the new Python is a real Python because Colt says it is, much like Chevrolet says the new Corvette is a real Corvette even though it’s very different from earlier models. I was tempted to purchase the new Python initially, but now here’s my problem... if my GP100 craps the bed, my perception is that the manufacturer will take care of me in a timely manner. With the Python, from reading many forum experiences, I don’t have confidence that I would receive good customer service and get my revolver back fixed and unscratched. So I will probably remain a spectator, but I am very curious to see if Colt is transparent addressing this issue.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:46 AM
Administrator

It's possible. Early SIG P365s sometimes had a problem with dead triggers. The issue was with the vendor for the trigger return spring, who wasn't making the legs long enough to keep the spring in place during recoil. It's little things like this that can happen when a new design reaches mass production and proper tolerances aren't being held.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Good video. As mentioned in the other thread I will get one after all of the craziness dies down.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:38 AM

FLD has one in, waiting for the allocated buyer to pick it up.
We can only hope he is a shooter, not a speculator, and some information will trickle back in.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:08 AM

Good video. Says a lot. I think the price comparison says a lot as well. A critical eye can see the difference between the two pistols. The new one looks much more like a "production" pistol. Not near as cosmetically refined. If the new price is supposedly "equal" to the early price, adjusted for inflation, then you're not getting near as much quality for your dollar as with the originals. I can see why they're not offering the blued version. There is a tremendous amount of time in the finish on the blued models and that's part of what shows between the two and part of the "Python" reputation. I don't like the new hammer, either. I think it's ugly. I can see where they lowered the grip position some with the new grips and the trigger geometry is changed. That was one thing I didn't like about my Python was my trigger finger was not in line with the trigger. Hopefully that is improved with the new one. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out. It's not surprising they have a few issues. You can build a hundred prototypes but until you actually go into production, you really don't know what you have.
JMO
Old 01-20-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It's possible. Early SIG P365s sometimes had a problem with dead triggers. The issue was with the vendor for the trigger return spring, who wasn't making the legs long enough to keep the spring in place during recoil. It's little things like this that can happen when a new design reaches mass production and proper tolerances aren't being held.
My dad was a very successful mechanical engineer and he taught me at a young age, a spring will always be the Achilles heel of any mechanism. If a mechanism quits working or doesn't work right and it has a spring in it, 99.99999% of the time it's going to be the spring at fault.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
Great video! To the haters I say the new Python is a real Python because Colt says it is, much like Chevrolet says the new Corvette is a real Corvette even though itís very different from earlier models. I was tempted to purchase the new Python initially, but now hereís my problem... if my GP100 craps the bed, my perception is that the manufacturer will take care of me in a timely manner. With the Python, from reading many forum experiences, I donít have confidence that I would receive good customer service and get my revolver back fixed and unscratched. So I will probably remain a spectator, but I am very curious to see if Colt is transparent addressing this issue.
The last Colt I sent in last year took about a month to get back. They're not the fastest, but not the slowest either.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:37 AM

I want one! But with anything mechanical, I live by the creed of not buying the first year of new production. Cars especially.

And I'm very curious to see how many of these Pythons actually have a problem. So far two people on YouTube have had the issue, but is it really that widespread? Hard to tell. I'm guessing its a simple spring fix.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:01 AM

My first love has always been revolvers, so when my friend called me and told me he was just shipped 250 Colt revolvers, I had to help him move them to the shelves. About 150 were the new Colt Pythons. We opened up a few, they looked really nice from the side, more then a few had dings around the crown and a few more had what looked like burrs around the bore. The cylinders on a few were I'd say, sticky when opening, but that could probably go away with some use. I did hear and see on youtube a few people having light primer strikes, but we didn't shoot any to find out, so I can't speak on that. The triggers were nice, no stacking like my other "1st generation" Pythons. Dealer price is $1275 and MSRP is $1499. I have all blued Pythons and really want a new stainless one. I will probably wait for the second or third wave of them to hit the distributors.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypd3765 View Post
My first love has always been revolvers, so when my friend called me and told me he was just shipped 250 Colt revolvers, I had to help him move them to the shelves. About 150 were the new Colt Pythons....
And your friend didn't offer you the opportunity to buy one of those 150???
Old 01-20-2020, 12:27 PM

Since the young people have their "Yeet Cannon" now, can this gun be the "Boomer Blaster"?
Old 01-20-2020, 12:29 PM

He did, and I probably will in the spring or early summer. I'm waiting for the bugs to get worked out a little. Right now I'm doing some suppressors and SBRs on a form one trust, so that's taking up my time and spare cash. As I said I have Pythons that I shoot so I'm not in too much of a hurry. He also got a bunch of those Glock 44s in 22LR, that I might pick up this week.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:43 PM
Administrator

I still haven't heard when the 4.25" models will ship, and now one must wonder if they will wait until the issues are resolved before they do so. I still haven't been able to decide which one I want, and since I can't afford both I think it's good that I've got a reason to hold off and make up my mind later.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
Great video! To the haters I say the new Python is a real Python because Colt says it is, much like Chevrolet says the new Corvette is a real Corvette even though it’s very different from earlier models. I was tempted to purchase the new Python initially, but now here’s my problem... if my GP100 craps the bed, my perception is that the manufacturer will take care of me in a timely manner. With the Python, from reading many forum experiences, I don’t have confidence that I would receive good customer service and get my revolver back fixed and unscratched. So I will probably remain a spectator, but I am very curious to see if Colt is transparent addressing this issue.
The last Colt I sent in last year took about a month to get back. They're not the fastest, but not the slowest either.
A month seems fair.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 PM

I got the latest issue of Recoil magazine the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I still haven't heard when the 4.25" models will ship, and now one must wonder if they will wait until the issues are resolved before they do so. I still haven't been able to decide which one I want, and since I can't afford both I think it's good that I've got a reason to hold off and make up my mind later.
It had a full page Colt add in it with what looked like a 4.25" BLUED Python. Looked pretty nice to me. The 4.25" model is the one that I am looking for. I can go either country, or western as far as finish is concerned. Normally I would probably opt for a blue one. But the stainless ones that I have seen pictures of look pretty sweet also.

Now if they come out with one in a shorter than 4" barrel. I will likely have to get one of those as well.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 PM

Bob's Country Bunker!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:17 PM

Off topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Bob's Country Bunker!
Get back on topic Mag man, or ten demerits.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:23 PM

So you are saying that Colt sent 150 new Pythons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypd3765 View Post
My first love has always been revolvers, so when my friend called me and told me he was just shipped 250 Colt revolvers, I had to help him move them to the shelves. About 150 were the new Colt Pythons. We opened up a few, they looked really nice from the side, more then a few had dings around the crown and a few more had what looked like burrs around the bore. The cylinders on a few were I'd say, sticky when opening, but that could probably go away with some use. I did hear and see on youtube a few people having light primer strikes, but we didn't shoot any to find out, so I can't speak on that. The triggers were nice, no stacking like my other "1st generation" Pythons. Dealer price is $1275 and MSRP is $1499. I have all blued Pythons and really want a new stainless one. I will probably wait for the second or third wave of them to hit the distributors.
All at once, to this dealer friend of yours. I guess that your friend must have a lot of pull with Colt.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
It had a full page Colt add in it with what looked like a 4.25" BLUED Python. Looked pretty nice to me. The 4.25" model is the one that I am looking for. I can go either country, or western as far as finish is concerned. Normally I would probably opt for a blue one. But the stainless ones that I have seen pictures of look pretty sweet also.

Now if they come out with one in a shorter than 4" barrel. I will likely have to get one of those as well.
Where did you see the add? I am seriosly ill with the flu and I have unable to attend the ShotShow in Vegas so I will have to wait until the Colt Stuff returns from Vegas to get more info..
Old 01-21-2020, 12:02 PM

Recoil magazine Javichin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javichin colt View Post
Where did you see the add? I am seriosly ill with the flu and I have unable to attend the ShotShow in Vegas so I will have to wait until the Colt Stuff returns from Vegas to get more info..
It helps when you pay attention.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:44 PM

I too enjoyed the video, very informative. as stated in the other thread let the supply get up a bit and the prices dip below MSRP and I will buy one. Way to go Colt it's about time. I like the 4.25" to go with my 6" 1976 blued Python but may need to get 1 of each
Old 01-21-2020, 06:10 PM

I am still piling money up. Want a new 6 inch to shoot next to my Python Elite I bought new in 2004 but on checking with Colt it was made in 2003.

But I am in no hurry and whenever I go into a gunstore I know I may see something I can't live without and a new Python may get pushed further down the road.