Chain saw stuff - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 06:19 PM

I gave up trying to find ethanol free high octane fuel at service stations. Seems only 87 or rarely 89 octane is available. So I resorted to canned fuel from Lowes or HD and it has solved my run performance and fuel degradation issues.
It's expensive but unless you're cutting mega firewood it goes a long way and the after opening shelf life is 2 years. I started using the 4 stroke version in my Honda generator after spending hours cleaning the crud out of the carb jets.
And I went south when I recently bought a new chainsaw. Got an Echo and deviated from the Stihl/Husky dominance. So far it's great.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:35 PM

My experience is that ethanol gas degrades very quickly. High octane fuel, even with ethanol in it, treated with either Sta-Bil or Sea Foam has been working for me in chain saws and weed eaters.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Saw blade speed depends on the size of the drive sprocket. Race saw scream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Your saw will start easier with lower octane fuel.

Than it will with higher Octane. With that said. If you are really looking to provide yourself with a lot of usable firewood. The saw is just part of it. You will also need to have a good saw horse. Additionally you will need to have a way of placing heavy logs in your saw horse. A good set of pallet forks for your tractor will serve you well in this regard.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02630.JPG   DSC02631.JPG  
Old 10-11-2019, 11:46 PM

Here is my main firewood saw and my chain sharpening set-up. Takes about 5 minutes to sharpen a chain. The second pic is of the handiest saw accessory known to man.

Did some thinking today as I was cutting wood on the ethanol debate. This saw was purchased 13 years ago. The day it came home, E-10 gas went in the tank. It has had E-10 continuously in the saw for 13 years. It runs for a couple hours a week all winter and gets used a couple times during the summer. It starts and runs like when it was new.
Attached Thumbnails
D94D3D0F-4DC5-4480-AB2B-C200FA391B62.jpeg   38D8DAC2-8D46-4615-A8B7-8C17FEEFF03E.jpeg  
Old 10-12-2019, 01:22 PM

You have been lucky.

Usually that E-10 gas will eat up your carburetor over time.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Than it will with higher Octane. With that said. If you are really looking to provide yourself with a lot of usable firewood. The saw is just part of it. You will also need to have a good saw horse. Additionally you will need to have a way of placing heavy logs in your saw horse. A good set of pallet forks for your tractor will serve you well in this regard.
That's what I've always seen referred to as a sawbuck, USMM guy.
Shaped like an X, hence a $10 bill is a sawbuck, and $20 is a double sawbuck, XX.
(your woodcutting history lesson is now over, )
Old 10-12-2019, 08:43 PM

Yes OK LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
That's what I've always seen referred to as a sawbuck, USMM guy.
Shaped like an X, hence a $10 bill is a sawbuck, and $20 is a double sawbuck, XX.
(your woodcutting history lesson is now over, )
Back from when a "sawbuck" could actually buy something. So did I pass the history lesson or not?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Back from when a "sawbuck" could actually buy something. So did I pass the history lesson or not?
It will still buy about four or five 5 cent cups of coffee.
And yes, you'll probably make the Honor Roll.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:56 AM

Chainsaws love them as much as 1911s . Have done tree work most of my life and accumulated 25 running Stihl saws from the old 020 up to the MS 880 .

I keep a saw in every truck and cant count the number of times I have cut a tree out of the road way and saved having to backtrack through the mountains . If you have a saw learn how to sharpen it .

If you have the dexterity and patients to sharpen a knife shaving sharp on a stone you should have no problem using a file and sharpening a saw .

That said treat your saw chain like you would the crown of your pistol barrel . Keep it out of the dirt . Makes for much less sharpening It is not a mini ditch witch . Stihl sells premixed gas with no ethanol a must for the just in case box . I store all my saws with this gas in it and have no problems
Old 02-05-2020, 12:16 PM

I live in the boonies and heat with wood. I've been cutting my own firewood for over 30 years. I'm now using a Husqvarna 359 saw. Just finished cutting up several large oak trees blown down in a recent storm. I have one piece of advice for any chainsaw owner, or anyone thinking of getting one. Buy the book entitled "To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson. I guarantee even seasoned wood cutters will learn from this book. I know 2 professional arborists who agree it is the "loggers bible". He also wrote "The Tree Climbers Companion", the bible for arborists who must fell trees from the top down.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Usually that E-10 gas will eat up your carburetor over time.
The carb, the hoses, the impulse line.

I’m stocked up on the 50:1 pre mix in cans by the cases it lasts 3 years it’s non ethanol gas.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 PM

Use the kerosene to clean the bar and in cold weather when the oiler is not running well thin the oil. Still looking for a chain break tool. Any info would be great.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
Use the kerosene to clean the bar and in cold weather when the oiler is not running well thin the oil. Still looking for a chain break tool. Any info would be great.
Try your local bicycle shop. They should have a "pin pusher". (least thats what we called chain tools when I was mt. bike racing)

A bike chain tool may not work, but you asked for "any info."

Take the chain with you to the bike shop and see if it works.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:38 AM

Never took a fancy to lifting long logs onto a saw buck just to cut logs. Too much extra heavy lifting! To be honest, I never took a fancy to lifting every dang round on a base log just to whack it with a maul. Too much extra heavy lifting!

Now, one of them there tractor- like cutting accessories would sure be fine -- let the FEL do some heavy lifting and dumping! Hope to pull the trigger on one when this madness subsides, the income stream from the real job picks up again, and one more kid gets off of the college tuition drain with job in hand (he already accepted an offer; hope it is still valid come June!).