Humidity control - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 07:04 PM

Humidity control

Does anyone use humidity control in their safes? If so what do you use?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:41 PM

2 canisters of rechargeable silica beads. Every 2 months recharge in over. Works ok in my small(er) safe
Old 07-30-2019, 09:49 PM

Yes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyheb View Post
Does anyone use humidity control in their safes? If so what do you use?
Yes ... I use something like this doohickey:

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-...ateway&sr=8-11

Yes ... Mine looks slightly different (itís ~20yrs old), but the same principle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 PM

What they said. Also, just open the safe door a couple of hours a day. A closed up safe will promote rust, whereas fresh air will resist rust. I'm not sure why but I can attest that it's true.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:34 PM

Goldenrod.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
Goldenrod.
Same.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 07-31-2019, 07:22 PM

Here you go! I got one of these for free with my second safe. I've been using it for over 20 years and it has never failed. And. IT WORKS!

https://www.amazon.com/LOCKDOWN-Gold...-garden&sr=1-3
Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 PM

When I lived in Florida yes. Here in Colorado absolutely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2019, 04:41 AM

Humidity and gunsafes.....

I must assume the gun safe is not indoors in a home or area with central heat and air..…..

I have a dedicated room in my home for reloading, working on my guns, and store my 600lb. gun safe in my gun room..... I have never had an issue with humidity, and prefer to have my gun safe inside my home which is climate controlled with minimal moisture in the air...… Since I live in Florida, we often have 100% humidity outdoors in the long and hot summer months..... I just looked at my local weather forecast, and at 7:00am today, the skies will be sunny, the temperature 56 degrees, and 94% humidity.... The good news is the temperature for most of the afternoon will be 78 degrees.....and the humidity will be around 60%.....
Old 11-23-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I must assume the gun safe is not indoors in a home or area with central heat and air..Ö..

I have a dedicated room in my home for reloading, working on my guns, and store my 600lb. gun safe in my gun room..... I have never had an issue with humidity, and prefer to have my gun safe inside my home which is climate controlled with minimal moisture in the air...Ö Since I live in Florida, we often have 100% humidity outdoors in the long and hot summer months..... I just looked at my local weather forecast, and at 7:00am today, the skies will be sunny, the temperature 56 degrees, and 94% humidity.... The good news is the temperature for most of the afternoon will be 78 degrees.....and the humidity will be around 60%.....
yeah, I live in Florida too and my safes are also indoors. Im in them all the time and I do have a handful of the really big desiccant packs in each. Not sure if it helps, but I have not had any issues with rust. And I always wipe the metal down with an oily rag each time I handle or put away a firearm. Blue or SS, they always get a wipe down.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:31 AM

Liberty Safe inside the climate controlled area of the house. I just use a simple Eva-Dry. plug it in overnight every 30 days. The beads turn pink when wet. Never had any issues and using the same Eva-Dry unit for years.
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 11-23-2019, 09:01 AM

Goldenrods for over 30yrs.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Not sure who makes it, but I've been using a bag of silica that I throw in the oven for a couple of hours every 4 months for years. No rust. It has an indicator that turns color when it needs dried-out/baked...
I would caution using anything that requires a hole being drilled through your safe, like a power cord...Holes will ultimately compromise fire protection.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:46 PM

Here in Virginia it is not a big issue.

But I do use a dehumidifier in the room where my safes are in the summer. This works fine. In the winter the room is heated with a wood stove which generally keeps the whole room as dry as a bone.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:57 PM

Another oft-asked question. The answer is always the same: An appropriately-sized Goldenrod.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 11-24-2019, 09:40 PM

Lower humidity levels are important. How someone in a higher humidity climate/environment achieves that objective has multiple possible solutions. I'd not tout one solution as universally superior to others. Just choose a solution that works for you. No matter one's choosen solution(s), a humidity gauge is a very low cost investment worth considering.

If one is safeguarding all-steel firearms, lower/lowest possible humidity is probably always desirable. But if all-steel firearms share the same safe space with traditional rifles with fine wood stocks, then one might also consider what humidity level is best for that fine wood...and find a happy medium.

Borestores protective gun socks are a component of many persons' solution.

---

After writing the above, I noticed that this is a somewhat aged thread (OP in July). But it is a perpetually relevant subject on which to share ideas.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 11-24-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:16 AM

I use a silica pak, once a month I renew it by putting it in the oven for a few hours, got this at Cabela"s years ago. Being in Florida also have a tub of Damp rid in the safe as well
Old 12-15-2019, 01:47 PM

2 containers of rechargeable silica beads and a PEET SafeKeeping Dryer and Dehumidifier. The PEET operates by the same premise as a GoldenRod but I like the PEET better.

https://www.peetdryer.com/products/105850114
Old 12-17-2019, 01:38 PM

I too use a Goldenrod.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Goldenrod - safe is in an unheated/no A/C detached garage in the Pacific NW, so plenty of rain & cold...no problems.

The key is air movement and slight heat (goldenrod) which keeps moisture from condensing onto metals.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:35 PM

Mine are in the basement of a centrally air conditioned house. I've not observed the conditions that would warrant additional humidity controls over and above central air.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:02 AM

Goldenrods (one in each safe) and silica packs.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:55 AM

Golden Rod with silica can. In a semi-unheated garage. I have a thermometer that also has a remote read out inside the safe. The temp inside is about 3 or 4 degrees warmer than the outside (inside of the garage). 20+ years no rust or problems.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:45 PM

Goldenrods & silica canisters.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:26 PM

Two 24 inch GoldenRod Dehumidifiers -Two Eva-Dry E 500 -One Eva-Dry E-333. Safe temp increase 12 deg humidity decreased by 7-10% The humidity amount is a function of exterior temp. If it's cold only a 2-3% humidity difference between safe and exterior temp. However,if it's warmer and raining the exterior temp will be 47 deg with 41 % humidity and safe temp will be about 58 deg with 29% humidity.