1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddm View Post
First IMO never store guns in cases/boxes in your safe, it's just something that can trap moisture. I've seen quite a few guns stored in cases/rugs that rusted in safes. The whole point of having a safe with a golden rod type system is that the warm air circulates to avoid the possibility of moisture condensing on the gun and rusting. Put the gun in a case/rug and you've broken that cycle. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable I guess.

The shelf seems interesting, personally I've felt for years that the Browning Axis system is years ahead of any other safe interior I've seen, the flexibility of configuration is huge. What I wonder though is how larger/smaller guns fit into these, if you had a lot of average sized handguns with no optics it might be great but is it like safe capacities, if you own nothing but lever actions with no optics you MIGHT get the stated capacity but more than likely with typical guns you'll be lucky to get 1/3 of the stated gun capacity. The under shelf rod barrel racks work with about anything unless it has optics and I think they make some for those as well. I've never liked using them for 22's though the fit is tight and some of the rod coatings are not great. Just takes one ding on a crown to screw up a great gun.

Personally I have been using these, you can buy 3 of them for under $50, and you can use threaded rod instead of the plastic rod with push nuts to make a wider unit, and it also allows you to make thinner or wider slots for guns. I can usually get 8-9 across a browning axis shelf and that's with wider double stack guns with magwells. The only thing I don't like about them is I wish the foam was a bit stiffer/taller between the guns, as the guns can tend to tip to the side into each other, and they don't do well with some guns with lights on them.

I've yet to notice any issues with storing guns in bore stores yet.

I realize security is the number one priority with designing a safe but I would think some other manufactures might see the benefit of designing better storage options.

A good part of my long guns are lever guns and I only have two scoped rifles so this really does make a difference and the fact I only have 12 rifles currently however I still have some room for more rifles especially if I stick with non-scoped rifles.

I don't currently have any handguns with optics and only a few are a little challenging due to length but I can accommodate for that. So yes given what types of guns and the fact I don't have many with optics makes this a lot easier than what others may face. Not sure how they would do in those shelves. But then again it might work for those that don't and then you might have to get something like what you have for those that do. I'm just not sure.

I would have to look again but because I have rifles on the door but I believe I am unable to place shelves at that location in the safe so this does restrict me somewhat but then again given what I have currently it's easier to access any given rifle without having to move another rifle first whether in the door or in the safe as I have nothing in front of them. Pistol shelves are to one side of the safe or higher than the rifles going just above them. I still have room for a good number of hand guns with a total of 60 slots available and only about two thirds of that being used. I guess my collection maybe considered fairly modest but that's fine I'm not hoping to have to get another safe. I do currently have shelves with drawers at the top of the system where I could make some more room for handguns if necessary.

Last edited by Dddrees; 02-16-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:54 AM

It depends on which browning safe system you have and the type of guns as to how well they fit in the doors.

For example the 49 gun DPX door system like is on the Black Label series, does has cutouts for scopes, and if you have 4 deer rifles with smaller scopes I could see you getting 4 scoped guns, and 2-3 other non-scoped guns in the door. If you have large scopes and say long range rifles with larger bolt knobs you may only get 1 on each cut out and the scopes may not fit in the cut out. In that case I've seen guys put them sideways and you can still probably get 2-3 scoped guns or 2 scoped guns and 2 non-scoped in the door.

Shelves are not normally an issue as long as they are higher than where the pistol grip on the stocks are in the door, so anything above say 16-18" shouldn't be an issue. The real loss of space with the door placement is on the floor of the safe where you lose that first 6-8". Their high capacity rack holds more guns as well especially if they are not scoped, but getting to the ones in the back can be a pain.

I do agree safe space and interior design is really lacking in most safes, some of the best designs I've seen for guns only are either a "turntable" type system or where the whole interior slides out of the safe, but both are very expensive and neither allow much flexibility if you want say a bunch of pistol boxes or other sized stuff they really only work well for long guns. It's one reason I really like the Axis system because I feel like it's so flexible.

While I also agree with others that it's better to get more safe than you need, sometimes 2 medium size safes are a better more flexible option than a giant safe. I will say though if there's one thing I regret on my first safe it was not getting the 72" tall version, the cost isn't much more, it will usually easily go in the same space, and the extra 12" of height holds a lot of stuff.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddm View Post
It depends on which browning safe system you have and the type of guns as to how well they fit in the doors.

For example the 49 gun DPX door system like is on the Black Label series, does has cutouts for scopes, and if you have 4 deer rifles with smaller scopes I could see you getting 4 scoped guns, and 2-3 other non-scoped guns in the door. If you have large scopes and say long range rifles with larger bolt knobs you may only get 1 on each cut out and the scopes may not fit in the cut out. In that case I've seen guys put them sideways and you can still probably get 2-3 scoped guns or 2 scoped guns and 2 non-scoped in the door.

Shelves are not normally an issue as long as they are higher than where the pistol grip on the stocks are in the door, so anything above say 16-18" shouldn't be an issue. The real loss of space with the door placement is on the floor of the safe where you lose that first 6-8". Their high capacity rack holds more guns as well especially if they are not scoped, but getting to the ones in the back can be a pain.

I do agree safe space and interior design is really lacking in most safes, some of the best designs I've seen for guns only are either a "turntable" type system or where the whole interior slides out of the safe, but both are very expensive and neither allow much flexibility if you want say a bunch of pistol boxes or other sized stuff they really only work well for long guns. It's one reason I really like the Axis system because I feel like it's so flexible.

While I also agree with others that it's better to get more safe than you need, sometimes 2 medium size safes are a better more flexible option than a giant safe. I will say though if there's one thing I regret on my first safe it was not getting the 72" tall version, the cost isn't much more, it will usually easily go in the same space, and the extra 12" of height holds a lot of stuff.
I have the scope cut outs such as yours as well just a different series of safe. It just worked better for me not to even use those.

Your right about the shelves being able to be opposite the rifle from a certain height but by that point there is a bit of space inside the safe where you simply cant place any shelves of the default width opposite the rifle's on the door. I could place some shelves a little lower but I would not be able to go all the way down so it just worked better for me to put rifles in the safe opposite mine on the door which made more sense for me given the types and number of guns I currently have. I do have one pistol shelf in the center spot opposite a few of the barrels on the safe door because those rifles in the safe were shorter and I could use some more pistol storage that way. Here again speaking to that flexibility of the Axis system Browning gives you.

I've taken a look at some of those turntables or sliding rifle racks. Really like the concept of the sliding long gun rack but like you said they really take up a lot of space. Not even sure I could actually even put one of those in my safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 09:01 PM

I use one of the coated wire racks. My only complaint is that they're not adjustable on width. It's a one-size-fits-all solution. I understand that revolvers are wider, 1911's are narrower, etc..., but unless you have a Desert Eagle on hand, the pistols tend to move around too much. If they were adjustable, it would be a nice space saver.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:57 PM

I use both metal and foam racks. It depends on the shelf space available.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
Whatever a new buyer of a safe does, IMO... THINK BIG. Besides firearms there's always other things to stow in there you did not protect before. Coins, jewelry boxes, hard drive backups, tax, banking, mortgage and other legal papers etc.
Absolutely. I keep my stash of toilet paper in mine. I sleep like a baby knowing it is safe in there.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:40 PM

Do you want storage , or a display when you open the door of your safe? I have one safe for pistols only that I built shelves in. Between original boxes , padded butterfly cases and these ,http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...cases-802c.php , everything stays safe.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Do you want storage , or a display when you open the door of your safe? I have one safe for pistols only that I built shelves in. Between original boxes , padded butterfly cases and these ,http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...cases-802c.php , everything stays safe.
I can see where original boxes might work better for some depending on what you have to work with but I have to imagine that also takes up some very valuable space in your safe where if your able to do without you would be much better off. If nothing else it also makes it much easier to get to your guns if you have a better method.