Pistol storage in a safe - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 AM

Pistol storage in a safe

I've seen a few diffrent ideas as to how to store pistols in a safe but I have only come accross this type of storage so far for a Browning safe.

To be honest I haven't tried any other method but from what I have seen I think I get more in my safe this way and frankly I would rather use this method than have to stick something in the barrel of my pistols anyway.

I currently have four of these shelves and they do accommodate pistol rugs so I can place pistol next pistol in these shelves. I have everything from the largest to smallest of pistols in this shelf. In fact the pistol rugs or Bore Stores make it possible for a smaller pistol to work in this shelf. Without out one the smaller pistols would fall out. At this point I have a shelf per caliber but this may not last long. Good thing I have a bit more space for a few more of these shelves.

I found them on Amazon but I actually purchased them when I purchased my safe.

Browning Axis Pistol Shelf 154140

Last edited by Dddrees; 07-15-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Stick them back into the box and put them into the safe. That's how I've stored them for the last 40 years. No box? Well oil them and put 'em in a pistol rug and into the safe.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
Stick them back into the box and put them into the safe. That's how I've stored them for the last 40 years. No box? Well oil them and put 'em in a pistol rug and into the safe.

Well since the box itself takes up more space than just a pistol in a pistol rug I'm actually able to get more guns in my safe. Much easier access to the guns this way as well.

But hey, if you have the space because you either have a much bigger safe or less guns you need to get in your safe then I guess your idea works perfectly fine for you. YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 03:10 PM

While I really like the higher end Browning safes that storage system just isn't space efficient enough for the number of guns I have to store in my safe. Don't have anymore room for additional safes so forced to pack them in tight. To that end I use oiled pistol rugs to store my handguns. Put ID tags on the zippers so I can fairly quickly find what I'm looking for.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
While I really like the higher end Browning safes that storage system just isn't space efficient enough for the number of guns I have to store in my safe. Don't have anymore room for additional safes so forced to pack them in tight. To that end I use oiled pistol rugs to store my handguns. Put ID tags on the zippers so I can fairly quickly find what I'm looking for.
I guess my collection is still fairly modest but since I still have some slots in the shelves I currently have and if need be I could get more of these type of shelves in my safe this should work for me for a good while yet. I do still have to figure out how I want to label mine. Right now at least they are separated by caliber so that does help but I am getting tired of picking thru a few every once in a while to get the one I want.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:19 AM

I think that perhaps we worry to much over storage.
Wherever I've lived my collection has always been stored openly in the safe with with a good coating of BALLISTOL inside and out, near some dehumidifier bags.
I've never stored anything in holsters, I go through them and re-oil a couple times a year, I've always used BALLISTOL, also on my holsters, I treat them twice a year with BALLISTOL and in 40+ years never had an issue.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "colt45acp" View Post
I think that perhaps we worry to much over storage.
Wherever I've lived my collection has always been stored openly in the safe with with a good coating of BALLISTOL inside and out, near some dehumidifier bags.
I've never stored anything in holsters, I go through them and re-oil a couple times a year, I've always used BALLISTOL, also on my holsters, I treat them twice a year with BALLISTOL and in 40+ years never had an issue.
That really wasn't my main purpose for this thread but it does seem as though the shelf thing has fallen kind of flat here. Oh, well they do work rather well for me. LOL
Old 07-16-2019, 11:47 PM

I oil mine up and put each one in a Sack - Up.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 PM

That’s a nifty solution, I dig it, especially if you have the Axis configuration. If not, I’m rather partial to the inexpensive plastic coated wire racks. They’re affordable, save space, have easy access and spare mags/grips can be stored under them.

Plus, it’s easy to snatch the entire tray and move it over to the cleaning table.

For single pistol display stands, it’s hard to beat custom crafted wood.

However, I dig these single plastic stands too.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 PM

I use pistol hangers. I can hang them tightly and hang about 5 or 6 guns on each shelf. Then below the guns which are sorted by caliber I stack the appropriate caliber ammo. Makes for real efficient storage.
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 07-18-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
That’s a nifty solution, I dig it, especially if you have the Axis configuration. If not, I’m rather partial to the inexpensive plastic coated wire racks. They’re affordable, save space, have easy access and spare mags/grips can be stored under them.

Plus, it’s easy to snatch the entire tray and move it over to the cleaning table.

For single pistol display stands, it’s hard to beat custom crafted wood.

However, I dig these single plastic stands too.
I thought so, really works well for me. I do like the particular solution you choose when your not able though. Although I think the coated plastic hanger or thing where you put the barrel on a metal hanger coated or not isn't something I think I would want to do. They probably are perfectly fine but for some reason I'm just not sold on that idea.

I like those wood and plastic display stands. Do you mind sharing where you got them from?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Although I think the coated plastic hanger or thing where you put the barrel on a metal hanger coated or not isn't something I think I would want to do. They probably are perfectly fine but for some reason I'm just not sold on that idea.

I like those wood and plastic display stands. Do you mind sharing where you got them from?
I agree. I like the ease of access with the racks that suspend pistols from the barrel and the fact that they’re coated, would suggest that there’s no chance of incurring damage. But, the only things that go in and out of my barrels, are bullets and cleaning rods.

The wood stands were made by a member named RAN, but Randy no longer builds them, although last I heard, he was making some pretty fine holsters.

The plastic stands are made by PlastixRevoluon. Although they’ve risen in cost since I bought mine a few years ago, they’re excellent and worth the money.
https://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/reloading
Old 07-21-2019, 10:18 AM

I use these - Benchmaster
Click image for larger version

Name:	68EED702-1E31-4A4A-B1BB-8E44CBDB1165.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	560364
Old 07-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
I agree. I like the ease of access with the racks that suspend pistols from the barrel and the fact that they’re coated, would suggest that there’s no chance of incurring damage. But, the only things that go in and out of my barrels, are bullets and cleaning rods.

The wood stands were made by a member named RAN, but Randy no longer builds them, although last I heard, he was making some pretty fine holsters.

The plastic stands are made by PlastixRevoluon. Although they’ve risen in cost since I bought mine a few years ago, they’re excellent and worth the money.
https://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/reloading
Too bad he no longer makes them, those look pretty nice.

Thanks for the link,

Dan
Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 AM

I don't store my pistols in rugs as I don't want to lock in humidity and prefer the air to circulate. To this end I've slipped them into my old GI combat boot socks to protect against gun safe rash. 15 years now and no complaints
Old 08-19-2019, 12:46 PM

The Army learned hundreds of years ago that you don't store guns 'in' any kind of cloth or wrap. Get a clue.
I use the soft-coated racks like shown above which is the most efficient storage possible.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:52 PM

I might be a heathen, but I just clean and lube the pistols, then store them on the top shelf of the safe. I lean one pistol against the wall of the safe, then lean the next one against the first one, and so on. Takes up way less space than any sort of rack system.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 08-19-2019, 02:53 PM

I have been using the cardboard boxes from protecta-gun for the last several years. They come in several sizes and also come with labels. They also sell anti corrosion paper. No sign of any rust.
the web site is: protectagun.com.
Specs
Old 08-21-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
The Army learned hundreds of years ago that you don't store guns 'in' any kind of cloth or wrap. Get a clue.
I use the soft-coated racks like shown above which is the most efficient storage possible.
There is the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way
Old 02-04-2020, 07:46 PM

[QUOTE=US1911;12885642]That’s a nifty solution, I dig it, especially if you have the Axis configuration. If not, I’m rather partial to the inexpensive plastic coated wire racks. They’re affordable, save space, have easy access and spare mags/grips can be stored under them.

These work very well for me. They also have stackable racks just like these.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:58 AM

Gun safe and storing handguns.....

How you store your firearms is dependent on where you place your safe.... If it is in an outside garage, without AC & heat, then different measures may be needed if you live in a humid climate......like using a dehumidifier.

I have one bedroom in my home that is my "gun room." I have a 7ft. long reloading bench with my three progressive reloading presses for ammo production, my rifle case trimmer, an additional powder measure used for rifle loads, and my Dillon balance beam scale.

My gun safe is also in the room. I keep all of my pistols in "Bulldog" brand gun rugs with zippers, and I have never had an issue with rust on my firearms. https://www.bulldogcases.com

When I go to the range or to a competitive pistol match, all of my guns are in gun rugs and placed in my range bag. All of my rifles and my shotgun (for 3-gun matches) are also in nylon/cloth gun cases when I go to a match, but they are stored in a vertical position in a rifle rack in the safe without a gun case.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:19 AM

The coated wire racks as shown with room to spare underneath. I only use rugs and socks for traveling. Humidity is not an issue if one uses a golden rod type device. I have one safe in my shop in the deep humid south and no problems at all. The military taught us that long ago with the use of light bulbs in storage bunkers or closets...
Old 02-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Whatever a new buyer of a safe does, IMO... THINK BIG. Besides firearms there's always other things to stow in there you did not protect before. Coins, jewelry boxes, hard drive backups, tax, banking, mortgage and other legal papers etc.

If the safe gets crowded with handguns you'd be well off storing them in zippered cases and put one of those office style paper "key tags" on the zipper to identify them fast. Also finding zippered bags of different colors for each pistol helps ID them too.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:21 AM

It really does help that I have fewer long guns and only one with a scope. However I just bought two more pistol shelves and currently with only one more added to the safe enough room in the shelves for 60 pistols. I took a look and if I were to stay were I was at with long guns I could easily add two more pistol shelves were some of my long guns are at. I do have some drawers up top which if I had to could be replaced by three more pistol shelves and I could get in 36 more.

Anyway with 12 per shelf those pistol shelves are extremely convenient and make it very easy to organize.

When looking for my safe it really did help that I was thinking with regards to what all I had and what would work best for me. As long as I put an end to acquisition at a reasonable point in time and given my age I won't run out of space. I just wish more safes were made not only to be as secure as possible but also geared toward how to store your contents as easy and as flexible as possible. I can also understand how long guns, scopes, and ARs can be extremely hard in this manner.

Last edited by Dddrees; 02-13-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:42 PM

First IMO never store guns in cases/boxes in your safe, it's just something that can trap moisture. I've seen quite a few guns stored in cases/rugs that rusted in safes. The whole point of having a safe with a golden rod type system is that the warm air circulates to avoid the possibility of moisture condensing on the gun and rusting. Put the gun in a case/rug and you've broken that cycle. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable I guess.

The shelf seems interesting, personally I've felt for years that the Browning Axis system is years ahead of any other safe interior I've seen, the flexibility of configuration is huge. What I wonder though is how larger/smaller guns fit into these, if you had a lot of average sized handguns with no optics it might be great but is it like safe capacities, if you own nothing but lever actions with no optics you MIGHT get the stated capacity but more than likely with typical guns you'll be lucky to get 1/3 of the stated gun capacity. The under shelf rod barrel racks work with about anything unless it has optics and I think they make some for those as well. I've never liked using them for 22's though the fit is tight and some of the rod coatings are not great. Just takes one ding on a crown to screw up a great gun.

Personally I have been using these, you can buy 3 of them for under $50, and you can use threaded rod instead of the plastic rod with push nuts to make a wider unit, and it also allows you to make thinner or wider slots for guns. I can usually get 8-9 across a browning axis shelf and that's with wider double stack guns with magwells. The only thing I don't like about them is I wish the foam was a bit stiffer/taller between the guns, as the guns can tend to tip to the side into each other, and they don't do well with some guns with lights on them.