Stack-On portable security boxes - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 03:55 PM

Angry Stack-On portable security boxes

Please do not use Stack-on portable security Boxes models # PC-1665 and PC-650 and the like. They pop open if dropped from a height of two feet (nightstand).

See these U-Tube Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUeYiZCgb_M&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clWpFWqwMLI
Old 02-28-2020, 06:09 PM

Please don't buy any of their imported, substandard sheetmetal crap because none of it is even remotely secure enough to keep the average 7 year old from breaking into them!

That stuff isn't worth the scrap value...

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 02-28-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:57 AM

How about ''don't buy the cheapest item you can find and complain it's cheaply made''.
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2020, 09:16 AM

Well, you get what you pay for and unfortunately most people don't want to pay the price for quality.

The cheapest, electronic, made in China junk is what people buy or it wouldn't be available. Of course there are some exceptions, but not the numbers to really sustain quality products over the next few years in the marketplace. There is a demise of good options and will be getting smaller the next couple of years IMHO.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:57 PM

I have a Stack-On mounted to the wall, but..... I only put holsters and accessories in it, no guns.

That's what the Cannon safe is for.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:04 PM

Canon, Gunvault, and Stack On just filed Chapter 11 a few days ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by FAS1; 03-03-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
I have a Stack-On mounted to the wall, but..... I only put holsters and accessories in it, no guns.

That's what the Cannon safe is for.
When it comes to safes weight can tell you a lot about a safe. Not everything but it can certainly give you an indication of the thickness of the steel being used in a safe. The most costly safe on the Canon website that I saw doesn't even weigh 1000 pounds. So it not only doesn't weigh even 1000 pounds it appears as their most expensive safe is the only one that is UL rated. The only portion of the safe I found listed was the door and it was only 12 gauge.

Last edited by Dddrees; 03-02-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
Well, you get what you pay for and unfortunately most people don't want to pay the price for quality.

The cheapest, electronic, made in China junk is what people buy or it wouldn't be available. Of course there are some exceptions, but not the numbers to really sustain quality products over the next few years in the marketplace. There is a demise of good options and will be getting smaller the next couple of years IMHO.
Unfortunate but true. Way too many are willing to purchase the cheapest option (CRAP).
Old 03-06-2020, 06:20 AM

The factory plastic cases my guns came in survive a fall better than that.
I have no young children in my residence, so no need for gun safe. I keep all mine on a shelf in a Rubbermaid tub marked "Dog Toys"...because I'm clever like that!!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:11 PM

I bought a 'Sentinel' steel cabinet back in 2000 when I learned there was a grandchild coming. Its done the job I expected for 20 years and will probably be the only gun locker I ever buy.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:32 AM

Twelve gauge steel is great stuff within it's limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
When it comes to safes weight can tell you a lot about a safe. Not everything but it can certainly give you an indication of the thickness of the steel being used in a safe. The most costly safe on the Canon website that I saw doesn't even weigh 1000 pounds. So it not only doesn't weigh even 1000 pounds it appears as their most expensive safe is the only one that is UL rated. The only portion of the safe I found listed was the door and it was only 12 gauge.
I love my Stronghold 12 gauge steel cabinets for storage of ammunition and the like. And they are pretty good for keeping honest people honest. But for keeping criminals with tools and time out of them. Good luck with that. You get what you pay for in many things, security not exempted.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I love my Stronghold 12 gauge steel cabinets for storage of ammunition and the like. And they are pretty good for keeping honest people honest. But for keeping criminals with tools and time out of them. Good luck with that. You get what you pay for in many things, security not exempted.
Unfortunately it appears that the multitude of manufactures who have sold these cheaper containers some of which aren't even capable of being UL rated or even close to being called residential security containers have been rather successful of convincing so many people what they are getting isn't even close to what they think they really are.

Call it something it is not (Safe), make it look good (Thick), sell it cheap, and they will come. I think they have done a marvelous job of deceiving a whole lot of people.

Really there ought to be a law against false advertising when it comes to what can and can't be called a safe.

Last edited by Dddrees; 03-08-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:27 PM

Apparently there are some laws governing this.

Quote:
Unfortunately it appears that the multitude of manufactures who have sold these cheaper containers some of which aren't even capable of being UL rated or even close to being called residential security containers have been rather successful of convincing so many people what they are getting isn't even close to what they think they really are.

Call it something it is not (Safe), make it look good (Thick), sell it cheap, and they will come. I think they have done a marvelous job of deceiving a whole lot of people.

Really there ought to be a law against false advertising when it comes to what can and can't be called a safe.
I have never seen a residential security container labeled as a safe. Salespeople will refer to one as such. But they are never labelled that way. What it comes down to is that you just can not fix stupid.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I have never seen a residential security container labeled as a safe. Salespeople will refer to one as such. But they are never labelled that way. What it comes down to is that you just can not fix stupid.
Understand and I get how some of these are actually labeled, but if you get the chance take a minute and checkout the following website:

www.cannonsafe.com

Take a look at a few of their products and the very limited details or specifics and tell me their advertising isn't extremely deceptive starting with the name of the website. The word safe is used everywhere yet I only found just one at least when it came to their so called rifle safes that could even be a UL certified residential security container in the whole lot. I think this is a perfect example of what I meant as to how things are being marketed to the masses.

Last edited by Dddrees; 03-08-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:43 PM

No need to go there.

Quote:
Understand and I get how some of these are actually labeled, but if you get the chance take a minute and checkout the following website:

www.cannonsafe.com

Take a look at a few of their products and the very limited details or specifics and tell me their advertising isn't extremely deceptive starting with the name of the website. The word safe is used everywhere yet I only found just one at least when it came to their so called rifle safes that could even be a UL certified residential security container in the whole lot. I think this is a perfect example of what I meant as to how things are being marketed to the masses.
I get what you are saying, and have seen it many times myself. Even here on the forum. When the subject comes up, people will almost invariably refer to them as gun "safes". But it is hard for me to feel much sympathy for anyone not willing to educate themselves in regard to what could, and in this case should be an expensive purchase.

Even the RSCs that I have which are at least in the case of two of them, pretty high end. I am not counting on the construction of these boxes alone to guard the contents. I have other arrangements in place as well. Most will agree that a layered approach to security is best.

Additionally I view fire ratings with quite a bit of a jaundiced eye. If you ever actually go to file a claim. They are just going to say that the fire and heat exceeded the rating. Your proving otherwise is going to be pretty difficult, and they certainly know that. Fire rating for the most part is just window dressing that allows them to tack on an additional charge.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I get what you are saying, and have seen it many times myself. Even here on the forum. When the subject comes up, people will almost invariably refer to them as gun "safes". But it is hard for me to feel much sympathy for anyone not willing to educate themselves in regard to what could, and in this case should be an expensive purchase.

Even the RSCs that I have which are at least in the case of two of them, pretty high end. I am not counting on the construction of these boxes alone to guard the contents. I have other arrangements in place as well. Most will agree that a layered approach to security is best.

Additionally I view fire ratings with quite a bit of a jaundiced eye. If you ever actually go to file a claim. They are just going to say that the fire and heat exceeded the rating. Your proving otherwise is going to be pretty difficult, and they certainly know that. Fire rating for the most part is just window dressing that allows them to tack on an additional charge.
I understand, but I also know it wasn't easy for me at least in the beginning to find the information I eventually came across with regards to the various ratings and the difference between a residential security container and something rated as TL15 or TL30. The typical YouTube videos I imagine where most start just don't cover everything and most I saw didn't even mention these various ratings. It wasn't until I came across a post on another forum that pointed me towards the various insurance ratings for safes that I found out about the various ratings and some other things were discussed as well. It doesn't even seem from the various searches I have done that forums like this don't go into as much detail as one might hope for.

Anyway because I started at zero and the typical marketing is crap I really had no idea where to start. I'm no expert by no means now but at least now I am a bit more informed. But the typical joe appears to have no clue and the crap that most manufacturers get away with just makes me sick.

I like you have a very jaundiced eye when it comes to fire protection and hopefully I just won't need it.

This is one site I came across that I recommend one take a look at when considering what safe they might want to get.

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/

Last edited by Dddrees; 03-08-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:14 PM

Brown safe Co. has a really good web site also.

My wife and I were going to purchase a real safe from them at one point. And then we found an older TL-30 Amsec at auction for seven hundred bucks.

A lot of information here.

https://www.brownsafe.com/categories/faq/faq.htm
Old 03-08-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
My wife and I were going to purchase a real safe from them at one point. And then we found an older TL-30 Amsec at auction for seven hundred bucks.

A lot of information here.

https://www.brownsafe.com/categories/faq/faq.htm
Thanks for the post. I took a quick peek and it looks like this one is a good source. I"ll want to take a better look later when I"m not so tired.

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 03-13-2020, 04:50 PM

Stack-On is garbage. I had a floor safe with electronic lock (and hidden key). It was bolted to the floor of my bedroom closet and change batteries regularly to ensure it always functioned. One day it the electronic lock stopped working. Tried batteries cleaned, looked for loose connections to no avail. Called Stack-On who said most likely the electronics just "went bad". I had the receipt (purchased at Dunhams) and was told it was 1 month out of warranty and I was SOL. Told them I would never buy another Stack-On product again and bad mouth them every time the opportunity arose. They didn't care and this is an ideal opportunity.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:13 PM

Well you have to look at the bright side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Vette View Post
Stack-On is garbage. I had a floor safe with electronic lock (and hidden key). It was bolted to the floor of my bedroom closet and change batteries regularly to ensure it always functioned. One day it the electronic lock stopped working. Tried batteries cleaned, looked for loose connections to no avail. Called Stack-On who said most likely the electronics just "went bad". I had the receipt (purchased at Dunhams) and was told it was 1 month out of warranty and I was SOL. Told them I would never buy another Stack-On product again and bad mouth them every time the opportunity arose. They didn't care and this is an ideal opportunity.
At least you did not have any trouble getting your stuff out of it.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah. It's not a high-end brand like a Liberty, but definitely better than the sheet metal Stack-On I use for holsters and such. My main motivation in getting it was that my sons were getting older and more curious about things and I wanted to keep the guns more isolated from them.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:32 PM

I could break into a stack-on "safe" with a cheap hatchet.

Last edited by FNHipowerluv; 03-18-2020 at 12:35 PM.