Difficult Reassembly of SW1911 Performance Center Bobtail - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 04:43 PM

Difficult Reassembly of SW1911 Performance Center Bobtail

Fun gun to shoot, but I'm having difficulty reassembling after field stripping and cleaning. The recoil spring retainer (recoil spring plug in Colt speak) appears to be protruding a fraction of an inch too high to let my bushing wrench turn the bushing to its proper position to hold the retainer in place. This is my first experience with a Briley spherical bushing, but I don't think the bushing is the issue. I notice the slide moves back a tiny bit when I push the wrench down. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:01 PM

Put thumb safety ON to hold slide in place
Old 05-23-2019, 05:20 PM

People use bushing wrenches?I agree with putting the thumb safety on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 07:26 PM

Deleted
Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 PM

The thumb safety IS on. I own 1911's from Colt, Les Baer, and Springfield with barrel lengths from 3" to 6", some with full length guide rods, one with a compensator. I have field stripped 1911's hundreds of times to include detail stripping. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing peculiar to this model pistol.

I'm tempted to get rid of the full length guide rod (an answer to a question that wasn't asked) and switch out the recoil spring retainer, but I'm concerned that it might impact the reliability or accuracy of the gun.

Thanks anyway.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:55 PM

I just checked my gun and I forgot the OEM parts were replaced with Marvel Everlast system with flat spring. Itís full length guide rod but it was trimmed to fit the gun and allow the bushing to turn.

If the slide is fully in battery and the guide rod is too long for the bushing to turn, your only option is to assemble the rod/spring/cap outside of the gun and capture it with the bent paper clip. Make sure to wear eye protection, that cap can launch pretty well... ask me how I know.

Of course, grinding the guide down is an option too...

Oh, I donít think replacing with regular guide will cause any issues. Why would it?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Without pics it’s difficult to help. I’ll just say that if you shot it, it worked fine, you took it apart and now it won’t go back together than it has to be something really simple. Keep fiddling with it and when it ‘clicks’ back together you’ll then see what the problem was.
COTEP#782
Old 05-25-2019, 01:36 AM

No experience with the specific model in question, but I have been "forced" to file a fraction of an inch off the end of a FLGR in the past when things aren't quite as they should be.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:35 AM

Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope135 View Post
Fun gun to shoot, but I'm having difficulty reassembling after field stripping and cleaning. The recoil spring retainer (recoil spring plug in Colt speak) appears to be protruding a fraction of an inch too high to let my bushing wrench turn the bushing to its proper position to hold the retainer in place. This is my first experience with a Briley spherical bushing, but I don't think the bushing is the issue. I notice the slide moves back a tiny bit when I push the wrench down. Any tips would be appreciated.
First does yours field strip looking like the attached?

If so, to re-assemble, -mine- takes down and goes back together just like any conventional M1911 ... Excepting that the bushing is -so- tight one must apply some determination to get it off/on. Okay, I’ll also mention that the slide-stop fitting is extraordinarily good, such that it snaps straight in. All I just did between the two photos was:

(some inspection and oiling)
Position the barrel into the slide
Press the bushing onto the muzzle
Position the guide-rod on the bottom of the barrel
Press the recoil spring onto the guide-rod
Position the link perpendicular to bore-axis
Position the slide assembly onto the frame
Insert the slide-stop
Align slide stop and take-down notch
Snap slide-stop into place
Press spring-plug into place and lock with bushing
Press spring-plug flush while rotating bushing to straddle the plug
Done

Your -symptoms- read as though something obstructs the spring from full compression OR at full compression the back end of the guid-rod is forward of the barrell lug. The only time I recall that’s happened to me was when I’ve missed the slide-stop pin hole in the link.
Attached Thumbnails
FFC42896-6428-4A5E-AE16-5546102F5479.jpeg   764E54BD-3A0F-48F3-9A8E-7F35B0ED73D7.jpeg  

Last edited by tgt_usa; 05-25-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:51 PM

Do you have a recoil buffer on the guide rod?
Old 05-26-2019, 01:50 PM

Thanks, gents. This will get me re-started. Yes, the field strip looks exactly like the photo posted. No, there is no recoil buffer.

Again, thanks for the tips. I'll get started.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope135 View Post
Thanks, gents. This will get me re-started. Yes, the field strip looks exactly like the photo posted. No, there is no recoil buffer.

Again, thanks for the tips. I'll get started.

How did it go?
Old 06-02-2019, 03:44 PM

The solution was to replace the full length guide rod with a Wilson Combat standard guide rod and the recoil spring plug with a standard Wilson as well. Easy reassembly a couple of hours ago. The Briley bushing was no problem. I'll have to shoot it to see if there is any negative effect on accuracy, but I doubt there will be any. Thanks to all for the suggestions.