Safe Brands? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Safe Brands?

Are all brands about the same? I mean is there much difference between Liberty, Browning, and Winchester?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 04:24 PM

Just the opposite, I think you’ll find significant differences even within the same manufacturer’s line of products. Gauge thickness, lock types and overall construction will typically vary greatly between different models by the same maker.

Most companies seem to have safes to fit every budget and they’re typically priced accordingly.

Establish your budget, then shop for a residential security container (Safe) that has the size and features that matter the most to you. Personally, I’d prefer to spend less on a budget safe that’s going to be hidden, as opposed to spending more on a high-end safe that’s going to be exposed in a common location.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM

In 2016 there were 360,000 household fires and 325,000(rounding down to the closest 5,000)home burglaries. I suspect that most home fires are extinguished before the safe’s contents are compromised. If my logic holds a safe buyer is more likely to be robbed than burned out of their house and losing the contents of their safe. If so, metal thickness, safe location and attachment are critical criteria.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 07:10 PM

You do not want guns baked in a safe, might as well be burned. Very few bad guys come with SERIOUS cutting tools. Buy WEIGHT. If it takes a flatbed wrecker to deliver it and it has a decent lock, you are SAFE! If you can move it with a $50 Harbor Freight dolly, it’s too light.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:59 PM

This has been discussed many times.

You get what you pay for. If you buy a Liberty (among others), you get a strong box, not a safe. And I say that as a Liberty owner.

If you want a real safe, do your homework and find a company that makes real safes, but expect to pay for it.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 PM

Take a look at Hollon safes. They are out of Tx and have 10 ga steel with an extra 1/4 inch in the door.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:19 PM

Sturdy is good.
https://www.sturdysafe.com/collections/gun-safes
Old 04-30-2019, 09:38 PM

The price jumps when the body, including the top and bottom, is 1/4” thick or more, weight(if it’s not sheetrock)costs money. All the fancy lights, paint jobs and inside door treatments won’t offset a thin safe in a vulnerable location.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Old 05-01-2019, 08:26 AM

I agree with Kevin,

Liberty makes a nice (RSC) but, it's not a real safe.

I have a Liberty 64 Gun Fatboy, very happy with it.

Loaded and bolted down, no one's going to walk off with it.

Still, there's a good reason it's a lot cheaper than a safe.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:31 AM

i was almost going with a Liberty but my dealer had some Browning's and to me was a better value $4g for the money. Not quite as deep as a Liberty but with the door rifle system I'm happy with it.
WC TSG 9/45 Vickers Elite 9mm EDC X9/Nighthawk Classic Bob Marvel SS 9mm/EB PATRIOT 3 EB KC/KC LW/SACS TGO-1 PC9111 Nowlin PC9111R PC9102 Nowlin PC9104/Colt SCGRG SCGRGC M45/Anvi III /MEUSOC 1911/1943 Ithaca/Les Baer 1.5 TR NRA Life Member
Old 05-02-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbbrewer74 View Post
Are all brands about the same? I mean is there much difference between Liberty, Browning, and Winchester?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
No. Fort Knox and Amsec and similar brands are much different than lower end safes like Liberty. They are not only not the same but there are significant different levels of protection and security within the same brand. This is one place where higher prices almost always wind up with more protection. You might not need or want the protection that a $5,000-$10,000 safe provides but you should at least know the difference between it and a $1000-$2000 safe of the same size.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT77 View Post
No. Fort Knox and Amsec and similar brands are much different than lower end safes like Liberty. They are not only not the same but there are significant different levels of protection and security within the same brand. This is one place where higher prices almost always wind up with more protection. You might not need or want the protection that a $5,000-$10,000 safe provides but you should at least know the difference between it and a $1000-$2000 safe of the same size.
That’s a fact.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 AM

No, they are not all the same. Some are much heavier made than others. Safes get argued about a lot. I suggest looking at the safe as an investment and buying as much as you can afford. And buy bigger than what you think you need. Fire resistance? Who really knows? It depends on so many things. Some is better than none. A lot is better than some. None of them will protect the contents in a complete burndown. In burgury protection heavy is good. All you're doing is buying time. Any of them can be broken into. And do some research before buying. There is a lot of info out there just for looking.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:38 PM

I'm no expert by any means but no they are not all the same. There are many different possibilities not only between brands but within brands and they do this not only to give the consumer options with regards to price but there are differences with regards to construction but what the designer designed them to store in the first place.

There are differences between Browning and Liberty for one because Browning really was designed by a gun company and not a safe company. Anyway that was described to me and from what I saw the Browning Safe I purchased worked better in that regard.

I was also told Liberty's fire rating were not as good as Brownings. I didn't do any comparisons but he did sell Liberty Safes so I took his word. He said the issue at least in part by Liberties internal vs Brownings External hinges.

I have to say I was a bit overwhelmed and I didn't spend hours researching the subject but as I said the Browning design worked better for my needs.

Of course when shopping Browning Safes the lower cost versions were not as fire proof or thick gauged steel as those which cost more. Heck even the doors and bolts on more higher cost models besides being thicker have more bolts for added security.

you really have to look into the details to see what you are getting or not getting. But the good rule of thumb in my opinion is to never buy something you wish to use as a decent deterrent from a Big Box Store.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
This has been discussed many times.

You get what you pay for. If you buy a Liberty (among others), you get a strong box, not a safe. And I say that as a Liberty owner.

If you want a real safe, do your homework and find a company that makes real safes, but expect to pay for it.
Yep. Most things marketed as a safe are actually ‘residential security containers’ and the label inside the door reflects this. Even my 25yr old Liberty says that. And it weighs 1400lbs empty.

A REAL safe costs quite a bit more than these RSCs being marketed to us.
COTEP#782
Old 06-09-2019, 02:15 PM

American Security - AMSEC. It's what I would buy today.

Last edited by L.E.; 06-09-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
There are differences between Browning and Liberty for one because Browning really was designed by a gun company and not a safe company.
Browning isn't a gun company, they haven't built a gun in your lifetime. They hire other manufacturers to build what they want, labeled with the Browning name. Same with "gun safes", obviously. And I own one, no complaints.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:26 PM

If a serious pro wants to get into your safe, and has the time, he will. You want to keep out the crack heads, your children's buddies and casual burglars. I own two Cannon safes, which are either the bottom of of the top rung or the top of the bottom rung, depending on who you ask. They have manual S&G locks and are bolted to a concrete floor. You want some weight, good bolts and a good lock. Anchor the thing down. Unless someone comes in with a thermal lance or explosives you are in pretty good shape. A separate safe alarm, not run thru your regular security system, is not a bad idea either.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Browning isn't a gun company, they haven't built a gun in your lifetime. They hire other manufacturers to build what they want, labeled with the Browning name. Same with "gun safes", obviously. And I own one, no complaints.

Understand, but it still seems as though it's designed from a gun owners perspective.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:04 AM

https://www.brownsafe.com/gun-safes.html

I have a Fort Knox for about 13 years now.... It has a 10 gauge body. THats the weakness in all of these RSC's not the door.

Anyway, if I had the money I would have a Brown. THe Ft. Knox isnt bad but its not a Brown...

https://www.brownsafe.com/gun-safe-reviews/index.html
Old 06-10-2019, 05:25 AM

another safe thats more than a "RSC"
http://www.graffundersafes.com/produ...es-weapon.html
Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Understand, but it still seems as though it's designed from a gun owners perspective.
Gun owners aren't any more knowledgeable about safe design than bakers or race car drivers.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Search for a used tl30 safe. You may have to rebuild the interior to make it a gun safe and it may not be as pretty but it will be SAFE(r). And heavier too so make sure it's on concrete.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Gun owners aren't any more knowledgeable about safe design than bakers or race car drivers.
With regards to storage. The ability to put rifles on the door makes it easier to get things in and out and store things in the safe.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky! View Post
Search for a used tl30 safe. You may have to rebuild the interior to make it a gun safe and it may not be as pretty but it will be SAFE(r). And heavier too so make sure it's on concrete.
Plenty of used real safes out there, Mosler, Deibold, etc. They tend to be heavy and may look like crap after 80-100 years service, they can be spiffed up and also have the mechanism serviced.

What most folks call a "safe" or gun safe is a really a Residential Security Container (RSC).