Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Banned

Sig MIM made in India?

Is it true that Sig uses MIM parts made in India?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 AM

I recently purchased the ambi safety for my Sig 1911, in SIG Packaging, and it says "Made in India". One that I had purchased two years ago for another Sig 1911 was marked the same. No issues with them.

Last edited by Jonzim248; 04-15-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Indo-MIM used to run advertisements in the gunzines showing all sorts of firearms parts.

They now have a plant in San Antonio, Texas, USA as well as their home base in Bangalore, India.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sig 238 938 Ambi safety kit.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	552426
Old 04-15-2019, 02:40 PM

Evolution Armory can back up 248's photo, not that he needs to. The photo speaks for itself but my 2 TTT's have been wonderful and I'm thinking of getting a black nitron from my LGS.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:13 PM

Sigs lower profile ambi safety happens to be a big favorite of mine. The profile matches the Wilson extended slide stop perfectly, and I like the sear pin locking system.
- It's super tricky to remove the first time or two, but it means it really stays put.
- The right side (left thumb) paddle always starts out really stiff/difficult to manipulate, but in time they loosen up and are just as easy to operate as the left hand paddle.

I've got at least four of these on builds at this point, and no problems whatsoever.

I have read many comments about "good MIM vs. bad MIM, and I am confident these are very good for MIM parts.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Sig and their CS suck. I will NEVER buy a Sig product again. I got screwed.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 PM

So what?

Indo MIM is a recognized supplier of quality MIM process part including aviation products.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems View Post
Sigs lower profile ambi safety happens to be a big favorite of mine. The profile matches the Wilson extended slide stop perfectly, and I like the sear pin locking system.
- It's super tricky to remove the first time or two, but it means it really stays put.
- The right side (left thumb) paddle always starts out really stiff/difficult to manipulate, but in time they loosen up and are just as easy to operate as the left hand paddle.

I've got at least four of these on builds at this point, and no problems whatsoever.

I have read many comments about "good MIM vs. bad MIM, and I am confident these are very good for MIM parts.
I have one of their ambi safetys on a Sistema 1911 and will agree they are a bit of a bear to get apart initially. Feels more positive than the OEM safety it replaces, though. I'm saving all the original parts, of course. I didn't have to modify the grips at all.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHippy View Post
Sig and their CS suck. I will NEVER buy a Sig product again. I got screwed.
How did you get screwed?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminoist View Post
I have one of their ambi safetys on a Sistema 1911 and will agree they are a bit of a bear to get apart initially. Feels more positive than the OEM safety it replaces, though. I'm saving all the original parts, of course. I didn't have to modify the grips at all.
The first time I tried to take down that first build with this safety, for a while I was convinced I was never going to get it off without breaking!

It's fine, I didn't break it, and now have learned how to be patient, AND if I remember to do so on initial install, I can make it easier to take apart from the get go. I usually don;t remember though...

As I said, after that first time, it becomes much easier to take apart. A little prying on the part that locks them together in the first place goes a long way to helping.

Last edited by CyberDyneSystems; 05-09-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:57 AM

This must be a sign of the times, until not long ago in my firearm collection I used to have two SIG-Sauer P226, two great pistols, both strictly made in West Germany ...
Old 05-09-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt65 View Post
So what?

Indo MIM is a recognized supplier of quality MIM process part including aviation products.
Here we go with the airplane and car parts analogies. Comparing how one part in a completely different field stacks up against a part in another completely different field means nothing. How the high pressure fuel pump housing in my Audi performs and how a turbine in a 747 performs says nothing about the quality of a Sig Sauer slide stop or thumb safety.
http://www.evolutionarmory.com/
Old 05-09-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
Here we go with the airplane and car parts analogies. Comparing how one part in a completely different field stacks up against a part in another completely different field means nothing. How the high pressure fuel pump housing in my Audi performs and how a turbine in a 747 performs says nothing about the quality of a Sig Sauer slide stop or thumb safety.
+1911

Yet again.

And added to this are your previous excellent points about density specs. I.e., the MIM specs that are relevant are those applying to the given component in question. Different specs provided to the MIM fabricator by a wholly different customer for a wholly different item with quite different mass/stress criteria and in a wholly different industry seem a poor choice as a baseline. I think there is a small segment of folks who don't realize that density specs (for example) are oftentimes (maybe generally) determined by the customer, not the specific MIM fabrication shop.

Separately, while there are those who don't care whether a product is built by American hands, there are others who do care. It is a matter of personal opinion, philosophy, and preference. Those who happen to prefer built in the U.S.A. seem -- to me -- to deserve at least a small modicum of respect. I would not rebuke their preference or their right to choose their own priorities.

And separate from these above matters, there are folks who have had very positive experiences with Sig products and services. Their perspectives are surely authentic as well, especially for repeat customers voting with their pocketbooks.

In other words, a truth in one realm does not necessarily dictate truths in different realms of customer experiences.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 05-09-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
And here we go again with more SIG trashing from you in the form of useless and condescending, tautology.

The de facto assertion made in this thread is that MIM process parts made in India are, by necessity, inferior to those made in The United States or elsewhere, which is patently untrue.

Folks posting less than hateful comments in this thread regarding SIG ?

It's like someone summoned you by rubbing a magic lamp.

It's uncanny, and rather creepy really.

Last edited by Oldsalt65; 05-09-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
Is it true that Sig uses MIM parts made in India?
Yes, and it's been common knowledge for quite some time that Indo-MIM, a reputable, and highly regarded manufacturer with facilities here in The United States, is a SIG supplier.

https://www.indo-mim.com/corpProfile.html

Last edited by Oldsalt65; 05-09-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM

The fact that they have an office here doesn’t mean anything. If they were made here, they would say it on the bag.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I now have them on three of my Sig 1911's. No problems at all. I also like the size and the way they hug, meaning they "don't stick out".
Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 PM

Previously received Sig parts were made in India, the last one I ordered and received last week was made in the United States.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmon45 View Post
Previously received Sig parts were made in India, the last one I ordered and received last week was made in the United States.
Were they the same part as before? Was it a MIM part? What was the part?

Sig uses a lot of outside vendors and not all of them are MIM and not all of them are foreign. Some are made in job shops right here in NH so it really depends on what parts your'e talking about.

Last edited by EvolutionArmory; 05-10-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
The fact that they have an office here doesn’t mean anything. If they were made here, they would say it on the bag.

The company has manufacturing facilities, not merely "offices", here in The United States as well as in India and if the package states "made in India" it's pretty simple to comprehend that the part was indeed manufactured abroad.

But Indo-MIM is a very well regarded global manufacturer.

I'm not a fan of manufacturing industry globalism because it costs Americans jobs, but it is what it is in every major industry including aerospace, automotive, medical devices, and firearms these days.

But it provides another false opportunity to badmouth SIG which I suppose a motivated hater won't let go to waste.

Last edited by Oldsalt65; 05-10-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzim248 View Post
I now have them on three of my Sig 1911's. No problems at all. I also like the size and the way they hug, meaning they "don't stick out".
Size was the reason I tried them in the first place. If ANYONE would make a good Ambi "GI" style retro safety, I'd like that very much. But no one does, so we are left with all the various extended safeties available. So the Sig, which is absolutely large enough that you can't miss it, but small enough that it isn't sticking out like a horned beast, is a great size!
Old 05-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Size was the reason I tried them in the first place. If ANYONE would make a good Ambi "GI" style retro safety, I'd like that very much. But no one does, so we are left with all the various extended safeties available. So the Sig, which is absolutely large enough that you can't miss it, but small enough that it isn't sticking out like a horned beast, is a great size!
The Wilson Combat Bulletproof ambi safety fits your description. They’re asking all the money for them though. I really like them even though they cost a lot. The fact that they use 2 full length shafts that are cut in half to make one makes it pretty rock solid.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:47 PM

19,000 pieces produced annually.

Many of the folks on this board who fly are routinely trusting their lives to Indo-MIM, but the Indo-MIM parts in your SIGs are going to get you killed on the street.

Because "made in India".

Last edited by Oldsalt65; 05-11-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Were they the same part as before? Was it a MIM part? What was the part?

Sig uses a lot of outside vendors and not all of them are MIM and not all of them are foreign. Some are made in job shops right here in NH so it really depends on what parts your'e talking about.
Not the same part. 1911 slide stop, p220 takedown lever and P224 slide catch lever were made in India. The P224 decocking lever is made in the US.
Closed Thread