California: Duncan v. Becerra; high capacity magazine ruling WIN - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-29-2019, 05:31 PM

California: Duncan v. Becerra; high capacity magazine ruling WIN

It'll be shot down once it reaches the 9th circus court of fools but it's still a huge win prior to going to the 9th. There's a link to the ruling in the first post.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...3#post22819523
Old 03-29-2019, 05:59 PM

Nice win!

If this is eventually upheld so that states can't ban magazines more than 10 rnds, what happens to states like NY who also have such a ban?
Old 03-29-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogger View Post
Nice win!

If this is eventually upheld so that states can't ban magazines more than 10 rnds, what happens to states like NY who also have such a ban?
It depends on the path of appellate action. If Duncan were to go to the U.S. Supreme Court and Judge Benitez' ruling be upheld, then it would apply to New York.

But at the present time, the decision don't do nothing for New York.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1desertrat View Post
It'll be shot down once it reaches the 9th circus
It must go back to the same three judges that ruled on the preliminary injunction in this case, which was ruled in favor of plaintiff. That might be good. You're probably right though, but who knows, stranger things have happened. Also, people who do this stuff for living stated that Judge Benitez's opinion is an excellent writing and that makes it harder for the 9th to just blow it off.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:31 PM

Correction: "REGULAR capacity" mags. "High Capacity" are weasel words used by the anti-freedom crowd.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:38 PM

I have a funny feeling that magazines may get a pass in the courts for awhile but what good does a magazine do if they regulate the firearms that use them.

Is a 30 rd AR magazine illegal in Kansas? I don't think it is, but the minute you put it in an unregistered M-16 you could have a problem.

We aren't going to get anywhere until the SC looks at the firearm and a states right to regulate it.

If that ruling had been regarding a SA rifle like an AR then we would be getting somewhere.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:54 PM

I have a funny feeling that if something as entrenched as California's mag capacity restriction is thrown out, it would be a huge win with implications beyond just the mag capacity. Not only it might affect other states like NY, CT or HI, it also goes to the core of a much broader issue of allowing states and localities to impose their own regulations. SCOTUS' refusal to grant a writ to Friedman vs Highland Park in 2015 has given the antis extra fuel in that regard. Time to cut that off. And, even if I am overreaching in my expectations, getting the mag capacity restored to normal in CA and elsewhere is a big deal.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVK View Post
I have a funny feeling that if something as entrenched as California's mag capacity restriction is thrown out, it would be a huge win with implications beyond just the mag capacity. Not only it might affect other states like NY, CT or HI, it also goes to the core of a much broader issue of allowing states and localities to impose their own regulations. SCOTUS' refusal to grant a writ to Friedman vs Highland Park in 2015 has given the antis extra fuel in that regard. Time to cut that off. And, even if I am overreaching in my expectations, getting the mag capacity restored to normal in CA and elsewhere is a big deal.
It could be a big deal as you suggest. An even bigger deal would be if the courts would rule on the firearm favorably.

My point is if the courts rule that 30 rd mags are legal to possess in CA, it does little good if they still regulate the firearm that uses one.

I guess we'll have to wait and see where this goes.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 03-30-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:58 PM

In case anyone wants to read the back and forth and nuances. Start at page 27:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...335810&page=27

Even the conclusion is subject to interpretation:

"Magazines holding more than 10 rounds are “arms.” California Penal Code Section 32310, as amended by Proposition 63, burdens the core of the Second Amendment by criminalizing the acquisition and possession of these magazines that are commonly held by law-abiding citizens for defense of self, home, and state. The regulation is neither presumptively legal nor longstanding. The statute hits at the center of the Second Amendment and its burden is severe. When the simple test of Heller is applied, a test that persons of common intelligence can understand, the statute fails and is an unconstitutional abridgment. It criminalizes the otherwise lawful acquisition and possession of common magazines holding more than 10 rounds – magazines that law-abiding responsible citizens would choose for self-defense at home."

Taken in context with the entirety of the decision it seems straightforward. But the devil is in the details. And the decision does reference 50 or 100 round magazines as perhaps being "dangerous and unusual" or that the state could regulate the number of magazines purchased, licensing, serial numbering of magazines or background checks for purchase. Perhaps waiting periods.

CA won't just let this go as is.

But, it may open a window by which all those "weren't around in 2004" model magazines could have been plausibly legally obtained, should it happen that we're returned to existing possession OK but future acquisition prohibited.

Last edited by dsf; 03-30-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:14 AM

This was the same judge who granted a stay on getting rid of the magazines in California until the case was decided. There is a similar case going on in the Sacramento area I believe and that judge would not grant a stay.

A review by the 9th Circuit is pretty much expected and that outcome is far from certain too.

I hate living in California, but I do enjoy what victories we can get. Thank you Judge Benitez.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:50 AM

Likewise ^^^^^^and now that there is a federal decision, it can eventually go to SCOTUS.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:30 AM

Oops, dup, many apologies...
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-30-2019 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:31 AM

AWESOME, the Shooter's in the Lefty Controlled states keep fighting!

Congratulation's shooter's in CA!!! Great job!...We have two law suites in-progress in NJ, the shall issue carry which is in the " certiorari-process" now, and our very own 10R limit suite (lost the injunction, being fully litigated now and hope the 3rd circuit which is now republican majority thanks to POTUS) flips the decision. Otherwise off to SC...And likely another suite by years end to fight the upcoming internet ammo ban here.

Keep fighting, I hope your win is a foreshadowing for the turning of the tide now with all the conservative federal judges being appointed.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-30-2019, 04:34 AM

BTW, Do any of you CA shooter's have any insight into the latest with suite against your Internet ammo ban?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-30-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
BTW, Do any of you CA shooter's have any insight into the latest with suite against your Internet ammo ban?
Nothing much new - https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...1443673&page=3
Old 03-30-2019, 06:44 AM

Way to go, California! The legal argument was an excellent read.

Hopefully the appellate courts will begin to own up to what WE all already know.

Stop making US the criminals when all we’re doing is protecting ourselves and families, and trying not to become a statistic.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:24 AM

I believe many Californians are driving to Nevada this weekend, buying all the magazines they can find and being back in California before the state blocks the ability to purchase legally on Monday.

I await Monday's legal activities.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:50 AM

Interesting. I wonder what would happen if this were brought to SCOTUS? Kavenaugh, Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch are likely yes votes, but Roberts is a mystery and a risk. If Ginsburg could not be present (I'm assuming she is still alive at the moment.) at the time of the case it would likely be a tie, until Roberts chooses his side.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Interesting. I wonder what would happen if this were brought to SCOTUS?
Last I remember, SCOTUS takes on less than 5% of filed petitions. Whoever is on a bench right now, I've not much hope that they will be listening to this case. I think the mian hope here is that Benitez's opinion is so well written that the 9th can't roll over it without losing credibility. In its face value, that is, since we know the lost de facto credibility awhile ago.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:15 PM

And on a Plaintiff's Motion for summary judgment at that. Nice work.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVK View Post
Last I remember, SCOTUS takes on less than 5% of filed petitions. Whoever is on a bench right now, I've not much hope that they will be listening to this case. I think the mian hope here is that Benitez's opinion is so well written that the 9th can't roll over it without losing credibility. In its face value, that is, since we know the lost de facto credibility awhile ago.
Was it not the 9th that upheld may issue in CA. That to me goes right to core of one's RKBA. To deny a person the ability to carry seems pretty draconian when just about every state has shall issue.

WTH is wrong with the 9th district?
Old 03-30-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheOzone View Post
WTH is wrong with the 9th district?
Combination of Liberals liking warm weather, older conservatives dying off and schools producing more Liberals.

Every video I see regarding school teachers in California, they are blatantly Liberal in their teaching. Hell, even seen video where they cry describing how they "saw" a gun.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead View Post
I believe many Californians are driving to Nevada this weekend, buying all the magazines they can find and being back in California before the state blocks the ability to purchase legally on Monday.

I await Monday's legal activities.
Some don't need to drive. Many on line sellers are selling to California now:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1521211

Even if the 9th overturns, this decision opens a window by which a whole host of magazines for guns not available in 2000, whose owners (until now) couldn't have legally acquired standard capacity magazines during the ban, can plausibly assert they did so.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 PM

Excellent news. I hated trying to track down 10rd magazines for my firearms when I moved out to CA. Would love to get back to standard capacity.

RSD
Old 03-31-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf View Post
Some don't need to drive. Many on line sellers are selling to California now:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1521211

Even if the 9th overturns, this decision opens a window by which a whole host of magazines for guns not available in 2000, whose owners (until now) couldn't have legally acquired standard capacity magazines during the ban, can plausibly assert they did so.
For sure. The internet is abuzz with folks confirming orders processed and not rejected. Palmetto State Armory posted on their site that due to recent rulings they would now ship to Cali.
COTEP#782