Are IWB holsters for 1911 realistic? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 PM

Are IWB holsters for 1911 realistic?

I am considering an IWB for a full-size Govt. model and want feedback from folks who use or tried to use leather or nylon or kydex for IWB. Is this way comfortable, concealable?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:11 PM

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II in a IWB leather Tueller holster.

And a 5" in a Safariland leather IWB. No issues, very comfortable.

Smiles,
Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM

I think so, but most don't choose nylon which is typically not a good material for holsters (there are exceptions). Leather and kydex are usually better choices.

We have an "IWB Holster Picture thread" that can give some ideas what the other folks are using, and gunsmith Jason Burton has a thread on his personal holsters for some more ideas.

Jason Burton "Addiction" https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=976670

"IWB Holster Picture Thread" https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=196181
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Let me add, comfort is a relative thing. Carrying any gun is generally less comfortable than not carrying a gun. Most, though not all, typically find OWB more comfortable than IWB. Most, though not all, find a small, lightweight gun more comfortable than a large duty gun.

However, a large duty gun, like a Government Model, is a whole lot easier to shoot well than a little pocket pistol. If you've determined you want to carry a Government Model, IWB is probably the best way to carry it concealed. You have to weigh the pros and cons of every choice.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:12 PM

There is a reason the Summer Special design has been around for over 50 years.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Definitely possible; definitely practical and reasonable.

Comfortable is not quite so certain ... depends on a myriad of factors, beginning with the user's perspective of what defines the onset of "uncomfortable".

Summer Special designs have had a lot of staying power. Not necessarily the most comfortable, but the basic Summer Special design has had an enduring appeal to many. I'd guess that most people who've tried IWB carry have a Summer Special design somewhere among their collection of holsters.

---

Noticing your location, I well understand your desire to keep things well concealed. And congrats on your persistence in securing carry rights.

Beautiful city, but not very friendly to firearm owners. At least the climate is a big plus for concealed carry attire.

I'd suggest testing out the comfort of an IWB holster by scheduling some early Sunday morning strolls across the Golden Gate bridge. An oversized jacket would serve a dual purpose, and look right at home.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-18-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:28 PM

Milt Sparks Criterion and similar are excellent. Do not forget to order two IPS and two S4C mag holders.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Kelty,
I have carried both a Govt and Commander 1911 IWB for 20 plus years in law enforcement and now in the civilian world. Sometimes during the summer when not working I carry a lightweight commander but mostly full weight. If you have a good holster and belt they can become a part of you and you don't notice them there, you will, however, notice when it is not there. Best of luck.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelty View Post

If you're skinnier than Clint Eastwood, yes.

If you're a REGULAR-sized guy, like me - no.

Save for a SOB holster, all my others are OWB.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM

I've carried 1911's IWB for over 36 years. Buy yourself a proper gunbelt, 2" larger than normal, pants with waist size 2" over normal and a Milt Sparks Criterion holster.

You will have no problems.............
Old 03-18-2019, 05:18 PM

It is certainly doable, but a lot of it depends on your pistol. I carry a Dan Wesson ECO in 9mm. I made my own kydex holster for it using a Vedder clip. I think with the pistol fully loaded and in the holster, I'm right around 31 ounces, which is not too terrible.

The 1911 is actually a very thin design, perfect for IWB carry. However, a lot of holsters add quite a bit of thickness to the overall package thickness. I purposely built my holster out of .060 kydex and it fits tightly to the pistol. It makes it easy to carry my ECO IWB appendix.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post
This^^^^^^^All day, every day!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post
Exactly -- Although this one's for my lightweight commander.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3456.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	550124
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM

Comfortable all day long.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 PM

^^^^

Now that's some top tier equipment!. +1911

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 AM

As has already been said, a Milt Sparks Criterion works for me with a full size Fusion. At present, my belt is a SOE Cobra, liking it.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:45 AM

All a matter of personal preference really. For sure though, Milt Sparks makes a great 1911 holster. I prefer OWB and have zero trouble keeping it concealed.
Attached Thumbnails
D6F67244-E322-41F0-BCD4-69B135419B65_1552995917056.jpeg  
Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 AM

I carry many 1911’s and 2011’s AIWB Appendix In Waist Band exclusively in Garrett Industries holsters.

I have no problem at all. It is not nearly as comfortable as OWB carry but it’s not bad, I usually forget I’m carrying when using a OWB.

I cheat a little when I carry AIWB, I usually tuck the holster behind my belt but not in my pants. It expends on my attire and the gun I’m carrying.

Last edited by Descartian; 03-19-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:44 AM

Carry this pretty much daily. Not terribly uncomfortable, but very comforting.

The Founding Fathers would have been shooting decades ago.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM

My carry is split depending on the weather. In the cooler and cold months, I carry OWB in a 55BN. In the warmer months I carry IWB in a Criterion. OWB is slightly more comfortable for me but IWB is not uncomfortable.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Full size 1911 it can be done but for me I did not like it. Every time I would sit down I knew she was there. I am not over weight or any of that but the muzzle because of length was always poking me and not comfortable. Commander style much better for me that is...
Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Pictured is my EDC full size Wilson Combat Classic with Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 and Versa Max 2. I also own a Criterion that I use sometimes.
I'm 5'-5" at 180 pounds and I have no problem conceal carrying IWB. As a fellow Californian, I understand the importance of being sure one is not "printing". I typically wear a Black or dark colored Select Covert Shirt by 5.11 over a black Tee shirt.
https://www.511tactical.com/covert-s...UaAsruEALw_wcB
Go with a black holster and good black gun belt which, backed by the black Tee shirt, will help camouflage your firearm in the event your outer shirt opens or lifts up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0200 (2).jpg  
Old 03-19-2019, 12:01 PM

I'm a fairly big ol' boy at 6'3" and 215 lbs. I'm happy to tote full-sized 1911-guns IWB beneath suit coats or sport coats. Have two dandy holsters, both timely gifts from folks I esteeme. Both very comfortable even for long hours. Both present the pistol readily enough.

A well made no-name Mexican holster provided years ago by a kind brother-in-law sees a lot of IWB carry. I like IWB carry at 4 o'clock. This holster is very comfortable to wear and gives good access to the pistol.

This holster, custom made by a fine lady craftsman, Della Shafter of Rafter S Gunleather, unfortunately now deceased, also carries the .45s IWB. The World War II 1911-A1 isn't toted but is only being used to model the holster.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelty View Post
I am considering an IWB for a full-size Govt. model and want feedback from folks who use or tried to use leather or nylon or kydex for IWB. Is this way comfortable, concealable?
From time-to-time I use any of these:

leather:
Milt Sparks - “Criterion”, “Versa Max II”

Kydex:
Comp-Tac - “C-Tac”, “M-Tac”, “Flatline”, “Infidel”

Once I got the Milt Sparks, use of kydex narrowed to the “Infidel” for very easy dis- & re-mount when planning on several stops in the day. The other kydexes are now limited to use in mandatory mode-of-dress: funerals, weddings, etc. Those days I might have to “gun around the dress” and wear a smaller side-arm.

Usually these are housing a commander-length M1911 ... except the “Versa Max II” for government-length.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 PM

Oh! It’s a picture thread ...

About 362 days a year, it’s this: SW1911PC in Milt Sparks “Criterion”. It’s easy enough to mount and dismount if I have only a few stops to make. When I expect to mount and dismount a bunch, it’s a P-O “Expert Commander” in an “Infidel”. A government-length pistol doesn’t carry any differently using the pictured holster’s elder brother, the “Versa Max II”: mass/weight differences are tiny and carried so low that ~1oz is only on the legs; given the cant of the holster, the length difference doesn’t dig in.

*- the standard capacity coffee mug ... it just happened to be there; but it occurred to me later that it was a gift, hand-made by one of my students.

Last edited by tgt_usa; 03-19-2019 at 11:14 PM.