Had enough of the two-tone - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 PM

Had enough of the two-tone

It may just be me but I am so tired of the two-tone pistols offered by Kimber (and other manufacturers). I prefer the slide and frame to be of the same color.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 PM

Hmm, I like both. Especially a black slide and gray frame - wish Kimber offered that.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:05 PM

It's just you.

This was under the Christmas tree in 2015. I did not complain about the lack color matching.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 10:19 PM

UGH! Take it away! Two-tone! LOL
Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Worth noting that, at least when it first became common, there was a very practical reason for the two-toned guns. It was not just because people thought it looked cool. Shooters in the competition scene with customized guns would have the slide blued to keep it darker and reduce glare near the sights, while the frame would be hard chromed to resist corrosion from sweaty hands. The Pachmayr Combat Special is an early example of this. This then often became one way to give a pistol a 'custom' look.

I happen to like the two-toned look a lot, though I don't have any currently. I'd like to build a Pachmayr Combat Special type pistol in .38 Super one of these days. We'll see...
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM

It's nice to have choices.. I like all-black, and of course polished blued, but I've seen a lot of other very attractive color/finishes ... including two-tone, especially black over dark gray.

All good, as long as the buyer likes it.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 02-19-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkman View Post
Hmm, I like both. Especially a black slide and gray frame - wish Kimber offered that.
I think KIMBER offers several models with a black slide and grey frame:

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistol...?layer&cat=361
Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastjv View Post

Worth noting that, at least when it first became common, there was a very practical reason for the two-toned guns. It was not just because people thought it looked cool. Shooters in the competition scene with customized guns would have the slide blued to keep it darker and reduce glare near the sights, while the frame would be hard chromed to resist corrosion from sweaty hands. The Pachmayr Combat Special is an early example of this. This then often became one way to give a pistol a 'custom' look.

I happen to like the two-toned look a lot, though I don't have any currently. I'd like to build a Pachmayr Combat Special type pistol in .38 Super one of these days. We'll see...
A smith told me the same thing years ago.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Makes perfect sense, even though I'd never thought of this before. We learn a lot by sharing things such as this. +1911

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkman View Post
Before the CDP was the Elite series. The Pro Elite had the black slide and gray frame. The other two in the series (Elite Carry and Ultra Elite) were reversed as were the entire CDP line. Not sure why Kimber decided to reverse the colors.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 PM

In my Kimber collection, I have all variations of frame/slide color combinations. Love 'em all, don't have any specific love in that regard.

But remember, all companies sell what they think their customers want. If the majority of 1911 buyers wanted all black guns, that would be the primary offering.

An industry executive once told me that new models always reflect customer input. So basically, we get what manufacturers think we want, and what sells best. Simple economics really.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:00 PM

I like black over stainless steel.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:32 PM

As a gun writer put it years ago, those two tone 1911s are
for use in swampy deserts.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM

I like the variety of finishes and own a variety.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
The other two in the series (Elite Carry and Ultra Elite) were reversed as were the entire CDP line. Not sure why Kimber decided to reverse the colors.
Without knowing more, I'd hazard a guess that it was because it only required finishing one "half". Anodized frame and an easy bead blasted slide on the CDP. I'm assuming that Pro Elite is a silver anodized frame and a black oxide top end. I think all of these were before the cost-cutting spray and bake paint jobs.
L.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 PM

I'm down to one 1911 two tone. Had the slide done by Robar.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Without knowing more, I'd hazard a guess that it was because it only required finishing one "half". Anodized frame and an easy bead blasted slide on the CDP. I'm assuming that Pro Elite is a silver anodized frame and a black oxide top end. I think all of these were before the cost-cutting spray and bake paint jobs.
L.
That makes sense.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks, quite interesting I didn't know that!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:23 PM

Given a choice, I'll always opt for the 2 tone look over anything else. It just calls to me. I own a number of black guns that I bought when 2 tone or stainless versions weren't available, but I've never considered them to be attractive. To me, black guns tend to look like a mud fence after a hurricane.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
Given a choice, I'll always opt for the 2 tone look over anything else. It just calls to me. I own a number of black guns that I bought when 2 tone or stainless versions weren't available, but I've never considered them to be attractive. To me, black guns tend to look like a mud fence after a hurricane.
I feel the opposite, but sadly the great looking blued guns of the past are about like the Dodo bird. The baked on spray paint finish of today, yep, mud fence.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I feel the opposite, but sadly the great looking blued guns of the past are about like the Dodo bird.
Royal II and Classic Carry ....
Old 02-20-2019, 11:17 PM

Thanks, Glenn. I knew there were still a few out there. Those would really look nice if they polished the things.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:57 PM

Call me strange, but I like an all blue gun with the bluing showing lots of holster wear. Nothing more attractive to me than a blued gun with most of the bluing worn off from use.
Gives it character.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Those would really look nice if they polished the things.
Other than a mirror polish, these are not bad ...
Old 02-22-2019, 06:09 PM

So after all these years I finally decide to get a two tone gun and I see this thread LOL! We'll, I did decide to get a Kimber 9mm Custom II in two tone. It's on layaway so im taking a chance but I hope it comes as advertised with the brushed slide/frame and matt rounds. I think its a stunning gun for the price and I'm willing to work around any of the usual bugs ive heard about.