Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
It doesnít sound too good. Very different than its reviews.
Reviews are always written by people who haven't been burglarized yet.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby144 View Post
You can go to YouTube and watch a number of videos on breaking into safes. Any safe can be broken into. The door and the locking mechanism have little to do with the how easy they are to get into, all anybody really needs is a torch and about 5 - 10 minutes to cut the side of damn near any safe out.

For those that think Stack-On gun safes are garbage, I think they are dead wrong. But, my opinion is dependent on how much a person has to spend and the purpose they are buying a safe for. Not everybody has $20,000 to god knows how much, worth of collectable firearms. I'll even go out on a limb to state, most people don't collect firearms, they buy them for the purpose of shooting them and/or hunting with them. Most folks have just a few guns. Most of us need a gun safe to house our meager collections of 1 to let's say 30 firearms in, where they will be reasonably safe from kids and criminals. And this need has arisen mainly due to the legal climate in this country and the feelings of the Libtard MF's that are trying to reduce and/or take away our gun rights. And that is the main reason I ended up buying my gun safe, plus it gives me a nice space to organize my guns and ammunition in one neat relatively small space. On the plus side it also has a pretty good fire rating. I ended up buying a very reasonably priced Stack-On Elite from Home Depot, of all places. I have found HD and Tractor Supply to have the best deals on Gun Safes. November and December seem to be the best time for gun safe deals.

Somebody is going to need so time and a number of people to get a box weighing in at around 600+ pounds and nearly the size of a refrigerator, out of the house. If they break into my house and then attempt to break into the safe it is going to be a lot harder than if they were just stacked in a closet. This is my purpose, as well as the purpose for most gun owners, for owning a gun safe. Spend your hard earned money wisely and don't listen to the BS, that seems to be in abundance, regarding this subject.

Oh wait, I forgot...I got rid of all my guns. Did you know they are dangerous?
You might want to read this article to get a more realistic picture of the actual protection an inexpensive gun safe provides.

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articl...ft-protection/

Also, almost all of the Stack-On safes are made abroad with the majority coming from China. They only make a few of the safes here in the U.S.A. Confirmed from a couple of sources including Liberty Safe and a dealer that sells Stack-On products. In spite of this, Stack-On are rated higher than many other imported safes. I know I actually liked mine for what it was - knew it wasn't more than a deterrent and seemed pretty well made for it's type. I just understand that the combination lock they used could be compromised easily by someone who knew that particular weakness.

Last edited by toofew1911s; 02-23-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Any determined, prepared thief with enough time can crack a safe. The key thing is to deny him/them a chance to hang around long enough to complete the job. Don't rely solely on a safe to keep the criminals at bay. Invest in a decent home security system as well that monitors what goes on inside as well as outside your home. Lock up all of your power tools and pry bars as well... don't give them free tools to use.

The overwhelming majority of burglars are quick smash n' grab artists. They break in, grab what they can in the time it takes for the police to be notified and are gone before they show up. Anything that slows them down will prevent them from trying to steal it unless somehow they know there's no alarm present or that you're away from home. Remember the old saying that loose lips sink ships... only let trusted people know when you're going to be gone for awhile and try to arrange with a trusted neighbor to cut your grass and pick up your newspapers. Better yet, invite them to use your driveway to park their extra cars.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that even a cheap Stack-On safe and a little extra planning is better than a $4000 safe and total reliance on it and it alone to keep the crooks at bay.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofew1911s View Post
Until now.
Touche', mon ami!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby144 View Post
The review is actually right on. When I first started looking to lock up my meager collection, of mostly inherited firearms, this 24 Gun safe which was on sale at HD for $399.00, was the one that got me looking into Stack-On. What I found out encouraged me to pull the trigger on a Stack-On 30 gun for $499, which is actually capable of housing, 5 pistols in the door organizer and maybe up to about 15 rifles, if organized right, plus a number of boxes of ammo or what have you. I have long guns set up on one side and short rifles on the other side beneath the 3 shelves. Scoped guns take up more space. The Stack-On Elite series has a very versatile interior compared to many other safes that cost hundreds more.

Stack-On seems to have a reputation of being cheap Chinese crap, but that is actually not true. Stack-On is a family owned business based out of Wauconda, IL. I found out, they manufacture, warehouse and fulfill all of their orders right there in Waulconda, Illinois. Also, Stack-On merged with Liberty Safe in late 2017 or early 2018.
For better or worse, itís been in and set up for a while and I think it worked out well. Iíll need another safe regardless. What I want is Pendletonís rotating safe.
But it seems to be where it will go as much as what brand.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:46 PM

I have whatís advertised as a 30 gun Stack On safe as well as a comparable Sentry safe. Yes they are cheap safes. But they serve my needs for now. They are in the basement, in a seperate room, bolted to the floor. Anyone wanting to get to them will have to get past my dogs first, and then my wife. When we have to be gone for any length of time, my stepson house sits for us.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 02-27-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjdgman View Post
I have whatís advertised as a 30 gun Stack On safe as well as a comparable Sentry safe. Yes they are cheap safes. But they serve my needs for now. They are in the basement, in a seperate room, bolted to the floor. Anyone wanting to get to them will have to get past my dogs first, and then my wife. When we have to be gone for any length of time, my stepson house sits for us.
I think where it goes is as important as the quality, imho also.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:32 PM

I have had a 30 gun model for yrs ,It does just fine for me,always has.Manuel combination,I stay away from electronics .and I always keep it in an out of sight location. I never tell anyone I have a safe nor what it contains . It's no one's no ones business but my own.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 AM

"New (4) from $865.19 & FREE shipping."

IMHO, this is way overpriced.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:27 PM

Anything that can be built, can be broken in to.

All it takes is the right tools and time.

That being said, most thieves aren't all that smart. When it comes to Home Break Ins, they break in and want to get out as quick as possible with the most stuff they can take off with.

Are there smart thieves out there that can break into your home and steal all of your guns?

Sure there are.

So don't advertise what you have. That reduces, but does not eliminate the chances of your house being broken in to.

Use good security habits. Lock doors. ( An unlocked door or safe isn't much of a deterrence)

Don't put a gun safe in the garage with the garage door open. That makes it easier for someone to drag it out. This happens.

In my case, if a thief wants to get to firearms I don't have under my immediate control, they have to make it through a minimum of 4 locked doors that are all solid steel or solid wood with double keyed deadbolt locks.

Then they have to get into the fireproof/waterproof safe, which is in a hardened room that was built around the safe. Hardened as in two walls are concrete foundation walls of the basement. The other two walls are 2x4 studs on 6" centers with sheet rock and concrete hardy board on both sides. With a solid steel, steel framed door that is one of the double keyed deadbolt locks they have to get past. Many of the video's you see of safes being easily defeated or pried open show guys with lots of room to use a couple of 8' pry bars, can put the safes on their sides, or move them around as they manipulate them open. Mine is bolted down in the corner of the basement with 8 -6" lag screws set into concert with 4 more drilled through into the concrete wall on two sides. and the bottom of the safe is sealed down onto the floor and the two sides are sealed with silicone adhesive caulk. There isn't room to use a long prybar.

And... there are three locked rooms with plain unmarked doors in my basement. Which room are you going to break in to? All three could be the one I described above, so you first have to find my house, make it through all of the right locked doors, and then make it into the safe.

Can someone defeat this? Certainly. But it's going to take time, tools, and the lack of my nosey neighbors paying attention.

Which means it can happen, but it's not likely to happen.

From a practical standpoint of how many scoped rifles can you put in a safe? In the Stack-ons, they include plastic spacers for scoped firearms. My experience is that you can really only use these in every other slot, and you need to pay attention that the back slots aren't blocked by the side slots. So in a 24 gun safe, I'd only bet on being able to use 12 slots at most for glassed firearms. And, you'll lose some slots in the corner and due to width of firearms so practically, reduce the capacity of that 24 gun safe to 18 including scoped firearms. But that's just me, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 05-30-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:21 AM

Does it really matter anymore? I mean with todays technology of surveillance systems and insurance coverage only multiple layers of security can do the best job of bringing the thieves to justice at best. I actually have one of the best LARGE safes in the house in my man cavern. Anyone with planning and moving skills can remove it with minimal death or injuries to some of the team. But that's what I plan for to make it dangerous to them. I usually do not leave for extended periods of time and am constantly armed for home invasion scenarios. Video is up in the cloud so the evidence is never going away, the dogs love raw meat, and the neighbors are very nosey as well. BUT my insurance agent is very great at what he does. So in the end I say get the cheapest gun cabinet you want to keep the kids out and plan for a multiply layered approach.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Administrator

If somebody wants your guns bad enough they can wait until you're home, break in with a bunch of buddies and force you to open the safe. You can't plan for every scenario, but losing your guns to a teenager or meth-head who causally breaks in while you're at work would be very embarrassing.