Made room for more firearms. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM

Made room for more firearms.

So after filling up the safe with guns and some ammo...I decided to remove all the ammo from the safe. Now I can add about 20 more sidearms and another dozen rifles. Oh the work never ends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2018, 02:32 PM

That sounds like some good decision making right there.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
So after filling up the safe with guns and some ammo...I decided to remove all the ammo from the safe. Now I can add about 20 more sidearms and another dozen rifles. Oh the work never ends.

Did you buy a powder safe or put the ammo in the closet like I would?

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july19 View Post
Did you buy a powder safe or put the ammo in the closet like I would?
I have a closet now, but the plan is to build a wooden cabinet next to the safe to store the powder and ammo in. I'm thinking a 4" high x 3" width x 2" deep should be adequate. Any overflow can still be in that closet.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:11 PM

Thumbs up

Good man. That's why they make 40mm ammo cans - to store ammo and loaded mags in.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:03 AM

Your safe is impressive. What model and size is it?

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
Your safe is impressive. What model and size is it?
It's the Browning Hell's Canyon Pro-Steel series, 65 gun capacity. It is everything I dreamed of. But don't let the MSRP price fool you, my LGS sold this to me for $2300.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bro...on-65-gun-safe
Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM

For storing ammo.

The way to go is with Strong-hold cabinets. They are just the ticket.

https://www.strong-hold.com/?_vsrefd...old%20Products
Old 11-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
It's the Browning Hell's Canyon Pro-Steel series, 65 gun capacity. It is everything I dreamed of. But don't let the MSRP price fool you, my LGS sold this to me for $2300.

Thanks. Thatís a great safe but a little too much for me.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 11-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Administrator

I have separate safes for my guns and magazines, and a separate storage area for ammo in the garage. I figure in the event of a house fire I'd rather all the ammo cook off in the same place that the cars and household chemicals are burning so the firefighters can concentrate on saving the rest of the house. Storing ammo in the same place as the firearms isn't the best move for a variety of reasons.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:

If you go with a safe like that make sure you've got a place to put it that can support the weight. I'm not sure I'd trust anything but a cement floor.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
If you go with a safe like that make sure you've got a place to put it that can support the weight. I'm not sure I'd trust anything but a cement floor.
Well to be honest I already reinforced the current 6x6 pier and beam framework with multiple layers 6x6 beams over solid cement blocks from the first point of loading the 1100 lbs on the front porch all the way to the final resting position. After crisscrossing the beams for a total of 18 inches of pressure treated beams, it could support a lot of weight. It took a few days to complete the supporting structure and final wet pour of concrete underneath. There will be no worries for many decades. It will outlast most residential concrete foundations. I tend to over build my home. I even dig deep piers and pour concrete over rebar a few feet down and then once dry install solid blocks onto level piers.

But you are very correct about loading heavy items on floors, even my piano made in 1922 is a heavy load and one I'm not ever gonna move again!

Last edited by SFC Rick; 11-17-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:23 PM

I never stored any ammo in my safe, but after having my safe for a few months it's amazing after three different attempts I was able to make even more space available for some more guns.

I think one of the best things I like about having a Browning Safe like yours even though mine is a different series is the ease of configuring the interior. Not only being able to move shelves so easily which I imagine is to some degree possible with other safes but the number of different types of shelves that they have available as well. The pistol shelves with twelve slots each really make it extremely convenient for me.

I personally have about three times number of pistols than I have long guns so that helps and I still have room for more pistols but after changing a few things around I was able to make even more room available for some more long guns.

Last edited by Dddrees; 09-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:53 AM

I've never understood why folks put ammo in the safe.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I guess they figure they are securing it. But if that's the intended purpose thinking they would be much better off with another security container in maybe a more isolated location.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Beat me to it, but i feel the same. Theres some good shelving around to use after you choose the right spot.
Attached Thumbnails
C7C977E7-D768-406E-A5E6-779D6F50B208.jpeg  
Old 09-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I try to keep all of my gun stuff in places where I can conceal it from prying eyes in the event the natural gas guy comes inside or somebody happens to wander into my garage looking for me. Ammo is stored away in ammo cans and inside a padlocked cabinet, but I don't worry too much about theft-proofing it. I'd rather the thieves try and make off with a bunch of heavy ammo than use up their precious smash n' grab time going after my guns instead.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:38 PM

Ammo storage has been and continues to be challenging. Sturdy shelves are great, but limit accessibility by not being able to quickly identify and access ammo thatís stacked in the back. Plus, itís hard to secure ammo on a shelf.

I tried a storage cabinet with shelves and locking doors, but it was a pain trying to identify the ammo stacked deep within the back of the shelves, not to mention having to nearly lay down to access the bottom shelves.

A dedicated safe/RSC would be nice, but again, there would be accessibility limitations due to the shelving, not to mention the expense of the containers. But, then again, a decent ammo of ammo is very expensive, costing more than many of my firearms, so a nice RSC could be a wise storage option. Ammo is very heavy, thus limiting adequate storage solutions even further. Either way, finding space for the secured ammo can be a challenge in and of itself.

For now, Iíve settled on a media storage cabinet with drawers, coupled with a tool base-cabinet with drawers in the corner of my home office. The drawers make it super easy to identify and access all stored ammo. But, drawer height is limited and of course, itís all too easy to exceed the drawerís weight capacity.

My media cabinet and tool box drawers are only rated for 100#, although several drawers currently exceed that limit. Both have decent locks for a cabinet and the bearings/tracks are robust enough to pull the drawers with just a finger, without over-stressing the drawer. I use the big cabinet for range ammo and the smaller box for SD/HD ammo, makes it easy to find exactly what I need.

1340 rounds of 223/556 takes up a little space when laid out on a desktop.

But, hardly makes a dent when stacked in a drawer.

Be curious to know how other folks store all their ammo, perhaps a separate thread would be prudent.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:00 PM

Strong-hold.com works for me.

They are the go-to solution for my ammo storage needs.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Something did not work right when I tried to post pics.

We will try this again.
Attached Thumbnails
60s Coltautos,bench&ammo 007.JPG   60s Coltautos,bench&ammo 006.JPG  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Be curious to know how other folks store all their ammo, perhaps a separate thread would be prudent.
Had to make the best of very limited space. Ammo lives under my reloading bench
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2271.JPG  
Old 09-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
They are the go-to solution for my ammo storage needs.
This tool cart would make for a great base cabinet. The drawers are rated at 400# weight capacity. Wow, thatís insane.
https://strong-hold.com/product/amer...uge-steel-top/

A couple of the Ultimate Workbenches would do the trick too, the drawers are also rated @ 400#. Making room for them would be a challenge, but at $9k apiece, freeing up some space would be the least of my concerns.
https://strong-hold.com/product/ulti...ith-maple-top/

Indeed, Strong-Hold has some serious products, but Iíd need to sell all my firearms in order to procure them to fulfill my ammo storage needs, in which case, Iíd no longer have a need for ammo.

On a side note: Your ammo reserves look healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
Had to make the best of very limited space. Ammo lives under my reloading bench
Your ammo storage is well organized, youíve made perfect use of the available space.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:13 PM

This thread makes my heart happy!
Old 09-20-2019, 07:05 AM

more room for more firearms...I just need to move things around.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
more room for more firearms...I just need to move things around.

Buying more pistols than rifles makes it easier for me and the safe.