Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed2death View Post
A lot to be said for the striking power of an axe, but you do sacrifice agility. It's just physics. Weight in motion and all that. Balance is important too, but you already pointed that out. And no question that an axe is a better chopping tool. But for close in fighting where I have to use a blade, then I want a quick, balanced and RAZOR sharp knife. The SOG that I have dedicated for the purpose is lightning quick, has excellent steel in it so I can achieve and maintain a wicked edge on it, and it has excellent slashing and stabbing characteristics. Also, the handle is of a material that won't get slick if it is wet or bloody...another important consideration. And some of it boils down to your preferred fighting style as well. My training relies on quick slashes followed by rapid thrusts to the neck and head area if possible. Most people use the knife in their strong hand, but that places your vitals closer to the attacker. My training has me with the knife in my weak hand, edge away from the body (although I also sharpen the swage on the trailing point). The reason for this is, I can defend both my upper and lower zones with rapid slashes and the attacker has to get past the knife to get within striking distance of my torso. My balance is on my strong foot (rear) like in a boxing stance. To get close enough to me to hit my torso, the attacker is exposed in the head/neck region, and to pass through my defensive zone, his arms are exposed to my blade where I can get at the muscles and tendons that control his grip. My strong hand is held in reserve for punching or grasping. Easier demonstrated than described, but highly effective when practiced.
https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs
Old 07-03-2018, 08:42 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainjones View Post
Am I over thinking it?

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainjones View Post
Any input would be appreciated.

No charge.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus54 View Post
I absolutely LOVE that scene. No question that a gun beats a knife or any other blade every time! But you still need to train for the eventuality that you will not have a gun, but may have a knife. I travel extensively on business and often cannot carry a gun, but can have a knife, so I train for that and other scenarios when a blade may be my best option available. I also train on how to use a bar of soap inside of panty hose!

An interesting point on that particular scene in the movie...Harrison Ford was originally scripted to have an elaborate sword fight with his opponent, but was seriously ill with dysentery and was not able to do that type of scene. The scene you see was actually adlibbed almost as a joke, but once filmed everyone loved it and it was kept. The look on Ford's face is not so much acting as it is him trying not to crap his pants! And NOW you know the REST of the story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Banned

Meh ... If you have a knife but no gun, any knife will do. You're not fighting with the knife anyway. You're using it to make a spear.

Spear vs. knife - spear wins.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Meh ... If you have a knife but no gun, any knife will do. You're not fighting with the knife anyway. You're using it to make a spear.

Depends on how good you are with the spear and how you use it. If I get inside your defensive area on the spear, you will lose. Study your history and the development of weaponry if you question that. But we digress. The question was about whether or not to have a dedicated fighting knife, and we obviously don't have the same opinion on that, which is fine.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Knife fighting is a loosing proposition for all involved... even if you "win", its almost a forgone conclusion that you WILL get cut up yourself; its less a question of if and more 'how bad'...

As for having a knife dedicated to this task, nope...extra weight for a specialized tool that will rarely if ever be used isn't a brilliant idea.

If one wants a tool thats far more versatile, AND a far superior, almost intuitive weapon, I'd suggest looking into some of modern incarnations of the tomahawk. Chop, split, slice, dig... and a weapon, almost as intuitive as swinging a hammer.
SHTF always involves more than just one scenario. You need both TOOLS and WEAPONS. I knife is simply a better all around tool than an axe or hatchet style implement for the vast number of survival situations due to it's smaller size and weight as well as narrow profile. However, for the things that an axe or hatchet works for, there are none better. When I was out bear hunting, I was armed with simply a bow and a knife - firearms were not allowed in the state in which I was hunting. Being approached by a 700 lb record class black bear with cubs at less than 2 yards was unnerving to say the least. But I can tell you that I appreciated every inch in length that my knife supplied as a backup and would not have preferred to be armed with a hatchet in the same circumstance.

That being said, I am a believer in both tools, and have not only an assortment of knives of different lengths and configurations but also some very nice Gransfors hatchets and small forest axes. To me, this isn't a case of knife vs hatchet but rather which models of both to have.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM

Randall #1.......or their model 16 SP 01.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofew1911s View Post
Being approached by a 700 lb record class black bear with cubs

is that a typo?
where the heck do Black bear sows grow 700 pounds ??

nevertheless, 6ft from a sow w/cubs would certainly be unnerving to me even if only 200 pounds....

..L.T.A.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:03 PM

Red face

Against my own good advice, I DID just add A CKRT M16 to my battlebelt.

I always have a pocket knife on me - guess if I need to cut open a box of ammo faster during the apocalypse, this should git 'r' done.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
is that a typo?

nevertheless, 6ft from a sow w/cubs would certainly be unnerving to me even if only 200 pounds....

..L.T.A.
I know a few 200lb women that I keep my distance from..........
Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 PM

So tell us Otto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I know a few 200lb women that I keep my distance from..........
How well do you really know them?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
is that a typo?

..L.T.A.
Lots of places....just not very often. The one I saw while hunting was just outside the borders of Yosemite State Park in California. The San Bernardino Mountains also have some very large black bears.

The bear I saw looked more like an Alaskan brown bear than a black bear, as it was brown rather than black and was so fat that the fat just rolled on her neck and front shoulders as she moved. She had 2 cubs with her, 1 black and 1 brown and each of the cubs weighed over 200 lbs. I am enclosing a picture of a record brown furred black bear taken 2 years ago in New Mexico. This looked to closest to the bear in my hunt than any other photo I have seen. Have never felt more vulnerable any time in my life - my 70 lb compound bow felt like straw in my hand.
Attached Thumbnails
BlackBearNM-StateRecord2016.jpg  
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
How well do you really know them?
Not THAT well......!!!! LOL!!!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:19 AM

Are we talking about fighting bears with knives? ... or, Are we talking about 200# Sows? Either way it sounds dangerous. Best be careful.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Having to take on a bear with a knife is definitely a SHTF scenario and faced with a bear the size of the one in the preceding photo - this is the knife I was carrying. Better than a 3 inch folder, but any body parts hitting the fan would likely be mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Hornby-1.jpg  
Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed2death View Post
Depends on how good you are with the spear and how you use it. If I get inside your defensive area on the spear, you will lose. Study your history and the development of weaponry if you question that. But we digress. The question was about whether or not to have a dedicated fighting knife, and we obviously don't have the same opinion on that, which is fine.
But generally speaking, he was correct. You tell him to study history and the development of weaponry, but in this case, he was in the right. A knight's primary weapon was not a sword or a knife, it was a spear/ polearm/ halberd/ polehammer. The sword was literally their "sidearm"...or equivalent of a 1911, and the spear, their M4 carbine. Given the choice, a medieval fighter would take a spear over a sword or knife in a fight.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 07-12-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:23 PM

There was also the assagai spear used by the Zulu warriors. About 40" in total length, it was designed for close in fighting.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 PM

I had a friend who was a SEAL in Vietnam, he was Corpman for his unit. He carried a Western W49 and a 22oz True-Temper hand-ax.

Not having to lug a combat load, I like a traditional hammer polled 'hawk and a fixed blade. And a .45 Commander! Single fixed blade options would be a Becker BK-4 Machax, a Livesay RTAK, custom 8" DeLeon bowie, Becker BK-5. I'm not a collector, so one of my favorite users is the SOG S-1 bowie. The SOG is really a decent using knife, a little thick, but plenty tough. Made in Japan by Hattori. I'd put it up against a 6" Randall Model 1.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 PM

A can opener, #2 Phillips and cork screw would be useful.
I think the Swiss Army has had the right idea all along.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 PM

I've seen pictures of "winners" from real knife fights. In SHTF you'd die from infection or bleed out even if you "won" that fight unless you're as good as the people in movies.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofew1911s View Post
Having to take on a bear with a knife is definitely a SHTF scenario and faced with a bear the size of the one in the preceding photo - this is the knife I was carrying. Better than a 3 inch folder, but any body parts hitting the fan would likely be mine.
That's not my style of knife, but I have to admit it's gorgeous!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:31 AM

I don't believe ANY knife is single purpose. But as an all around survival, camp, fighting knife, I love my Extremaratio Harpoon.

You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Hard to beat the cold steel bushman for this.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:58 PM

I reckon this Randall model one 8" APFK.

That showed up in the mail today. I guess that it will do.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02396.JPG  
Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
That showed up in the mail today. I guess that it will do.
Beautiful blade! Congrats!