Water - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 PM

Water

Real simple, Can you make drinkable water?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 AM

Yup,
Old 10-13-2013, 02:36 PM

What are some good methods of purafying water in a survival type situation
Old 10-13-2013, 03:59 PM

I would say that for 99% of the situations I am likely to find myself in in this part of the country I am well provisioned to be able to provide / create drinkable water for me and my family. Of all the methods that are most talked about the only one I don’t currently have access to is a way to distill my own water, but I’m sure I could rig up a quick and dirty system if it came down to life or death.

1911Sig,
There are several methods available.
A small amount of household bleach in water to kill bacteria works.
The Steripen has been praised by some here in this thread.
Iodine tables are also effective in a number of circumstances.
Several companies portable water filters for camping and other such activities, I have had good luck with my Katadyn Hiker Pro filter.
And then there is of course the simple option to boil your water, added to that if you collect the condensate from boiled water you basically have distilled water.
Member AllOutdoor.com also recently also posted this which I found interesting.

If you are really worried about the source of your water then you can combine two or more of the accepted methods for added insurance.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 PM

The bathtub liner thing seems like a reasonable solution for a short run.

https://www.mainemilitary.com/produc...3&idcategory=0
Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

Yep, bleach, iodine, boiling, solar stills, under ground rivers/wells, running water sources, puddles, vegitation sources, toilet tank water, water heater water, hot tub water, etc...
Old 10-14-2013, 04:00 PM

Head down to your local box store like Cabelas or Sportsmans and get a good back packing water filter. You should be able to come up with one for $100.00 bucks or their abouts I think. I don't remember what I paid for the one I have but my wife (a micro biologist) picked it out, we got one from MSR. Some one might make a better one but when we bought it was the best one their in her mind and I have yet to get sick using it, even from streams that cattle use.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Crank generator and pump well :-))
Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 PM

Another thing we do in store water in a 55gal drum, I think it would surprise many how fast 55 gal would go, but on the other hand, if you are frugal, it could last quite a while. Out camping I can make 20 gal last a whole week if I use my water filter to supplement my drinking water.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 AM

I'm a great fan of Steri-Pen. Took one to Afrika while working for the UN a few years ago and used it to treat every drop of water that went into my ugly mug. Was in 7 countries and never got sick. I'm a helicopter pilot and expect to go into some of the schittiest places on earth where the water is suspect. All I need to do is filter the water thru a cloth or coffee filter, or panty hose to filter out the dirt and critters, then give it a :45 second treatment with my Steri-Pen and its good to drink. No chemicals, no fire, no long wait, no problem. Highly recommended.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM

Standard practice taught to all troops in the South African Defence Force for bush survival:

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Yes.

In the most dire situation... only THE most dire situation...

Plastic of some sort, preferably like a plastic bag, shallow hole, a coffee can or some other container, and some of your own piss.

Manipulating the evaporation process is a wonderful filter.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Standard practice taught to all troops in the South African Defence Force for bush survival:

Be sure to add a piece of surgical tubing as a straw [from the cup or can to outside the plastic] so you don't have to move the plastic which will screw up the water making process and you might want to have enough material to do 4 or 5 holes as one will not make enough even for one person.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned

In 1989-90 I used solar stills to survive for a few days. Its not as easy to set up as some think (skill to set up might be easy, skill to make work is a little more) and there are tips and tricks to it. I did counter drug missions with JTF-6, now known as SOCOM. We spent weeks in the US/Mexico desert.

I was dumb Infantry grunt that had been to quite a few special training classes, including Desert Survival. When I was teamed with some skilled professionals I learned how to do set things better.

We got dropped in the desert at set locations with enough to survive untill the extraction date. We had a mission change and requset for one more week. We were low on food and water. My thought was one week, no way. The professionals were like one week, no problem. We lived just fine, just had to limit things and ration things.

As far as the solar still, one needs to look for low area's and natural river bed's that might be dried up, but show signs of water, as that area will produce more water. You can add cactus, and some vegitation to the still, but know what your adding as some leaves/vegitation might make you sick (milky leaves/branches are not seen as good, nore are red berrys). We made a few stills, some were done deep and set for out 5 gal water jugs, some set for canteens. Setting up at night will give good results as the sun comes up and you can tap the plastic to aide droplets to counter evaporation. The soil, rocks, sand, dirt can be a water filter and urinating around the still will aide in water gathering as it sinks and spreads and the liquide works its way back up and out. The depth of the still plays a part if you find your going from hot dry soil to colder damp soil (try to make the top of the still below the hot dry earth and at the top of the moist cool soil/earth). Odds are you will not be able to make enought to drink well with a still, but you can make enough to extend a few days. One still will not do much. IMHO its easy to set up and everyone should go out and make one to see how it works. Some area's work great, but those area's most times will have real water sources to work with.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:11 PM

For people considering bathtubs, toilet tanks, etc. remember that flooding often results in sewer backups.

In the short term storing water in sealed plastic containers (with bleach added) is probably best.

Iodine + bleach + containers + drinkmix to deal with the taste is a safe and light/portable medium term solution.

Last edited by The Big D; 10-20-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 AM

Nope, but I've got a gun, so I can make someone else make water for me. Plus I've got a river...
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 AM

800' well, standing @ 40ft from surface. Even without electricity, I can get water out of that.

Bob
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
Nope, but I've got a gun, so I can make someone else make water for me. Plus I've got a river...
May get complicated if the other person turns out to have a gun also.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Short answer: Yes.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Right now I can store about 65 gal which for my family of 4 is about 2 weeks worth. I plan on up to 30 days worth on hand. The thing is I read somewhere that water "goes bad" and I need to refill every 6 to 12 months. How does it go bad?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1911 View Post
Right now I can store about 65 gal which for my family of 4 is about 2 weeks worth. I plan on up to 30 days worth on hand. The thing is I read somewhere that water "goes bad" and I need to refill every 6 to 12 months. How does it go bad?
Bacteria finds a way in and it can absorb tiny particles of the container material ( mostly in some plastics )
Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 PM

I have 4-55gal food grade barrels, a Shurflo RV pump, and connected it to the house plumbing with a few valves and backflow preventers. Once a month, I shut the valve coming in, and we use the barrel water until we empty 2 barrels, the next month we do the other 2 barrels. A 325gal rain collector barrel outside with a RO filter and a pump can be used to re-fill the inside barrels if the municipal supply goes out. The pressure switch on the Shurflo is set 10# less than the incoming pressure, so it will only kick on if the incoming municipal supply fails. This way we can still flush the toilets. In a test run last year, we used less then 25 gallons over a 5 day extended weekend (no showers) but we had drinking water. Only flushing a toilet when solids were present conserves a lot of water. On our 200+325 gallon backup supply and no rain, we could go for a couple of months under extreme conditions. I also keep some dry pool chlorine and some bromine tablets handy in case we need to sterilize the water. Use the chlorine, the water is sterlile, set a pan or bucket of it in the sun for a few hours and the chlorine will all disappear, leaving good drinking water with no harsh taste. If you use plastic barrels, get only food grade barrels, as they will be sfe for longer term storage of water.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post

This is also viable for "dirty" water. Replace the vegetation with a container filled with the "dirty" water (separated from the clean water container) and a tube allowing the clean water to be drained from the system is a must, else it will just keep evaporating with the dirty water.

I've been (lazily) working on a way to do this with 2 liter plastic bottles. Haven't come up with a satisfactory system as of yet though...

Holding onto freedom is like holding a handful of sand.
If we aren't constantly vigilant against losing it, we will have lost it,
one grain at a time, before we realize it's gone.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 AM

I have an irrigation well.

Short term? I have a solar water heater that holds 110 gallons and an electric water heater that holds 50. Both can be tapped with a garden hose and drained. 160 gallons goes a long way.

Without electricity, I can hook the picher pump I have to the well head with a pipe wrench and channel locks, or I can drop a section of hi-pressure suction line hooked to the nipple on the picher pump down the well head. Cased well drilled to 115' in the Equs Beds of the Ogallala Aquifer but the water is pumped from the 23' level. The picher pump will easily do that.

For the whole town, we have an emergency well that can be accessed by a tractor with a PTO drive. It pumps water to the water tower.

It too draws from the Equs Beds of the Ogallala Aquifer.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM

One can always distill, over an open flame if necessary. Water gotten this way will be pure and sterile.

Stay alert, trust no one, keep your weapons handy.